• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

Just now, ShawnEastTN said:

Really impressed with the amount of upstream moisture still to work through.  Still good moisture all the way up in to Illinois and Indiana rotating this direction.

Moisture.PNG

It seems this is exceeding expectations. It’s coming down pretty steadily right now. Hope we can leak out a few more hours. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

Something that’s interesting to me is the snow is falling much harder than what the radar is indicating IMO.

The radar where I live always shows this in these type of events no matter how hard it's snowing here. I believe it's where we are in between the Nashville and Morristown radar so the signal is weaker. It's actually coming down pretty heavy compared to the emptiness of the radar

Screenshot_20201130-161219_The Weather Channel.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John1122 said:

The Plateau eats snow on the radar.  It's even worse over Jamestown to Western Campbell. 

Yeah I saw a picture from Jamestown and it looked the same as here.  But on radar I see a lot of supposed bare spots. I've noticed in bigger snow events (not Alberta Clippers or NW flow events) sometimes it will pick it up a lot better, but in these it definitely looks harder around Nashville to Cookeville on radar. 

6 minutes ago, Shocker0 said:

Yeah I saw a picture from Jamestown and it looked the same as here.  But on radar I see a lot of supposed bare spots. I've noticed in bigger snow events (not Alberta Clippers or NW flow events) sometimes it will pick it up a lot better, but in these it definitely looks harder around Nashville to Cookeville on radar. 

The radar can see the lower atmosphere better the closer precipitation is to it. Snow, especially when it gets the NW flow component, comes from lower in the atmosphere. The Plateau is about as far away from each radar site in the area as possible. Especially Jamestown, and the radar beams can basically shoot over the snow at times on the edge of its range. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ShawnEastTN said:

Peachtree City just expanded their Winter Weather Advisory to include areas outside the mountains of North Georgia all the way down to far northern Atlanta suburbs. Think they might have been caught off guard to the snow showers making that far south.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I hope it's not another apocalyptic event down there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, John1122 said:

The radar can see the lower atmosphere better the closer precipitation is to it. Snow, especially when it gets the NW flow component, comes from lower in the atmosphere. The Plateau is about as far away from each radar site in the area as possible. Especially Jamestown, and the radar beams can basically shoot over the snow at times on the edge of its range. 

Clinch mountain for example to the north of MRX has a tendency to do that I believe.

Just now, John1122 said:

Schools closed here already. Probably have a few hours to go with the snow.  The low is just creeping along which is helping.  

They were in Virtual School here and I made a joke to my daughter that they would be canceling school tomorrow and she said "I know, they already called it off at noon today" LOL. I thought she was joking too but apparently they even cancel Virtual School when it snows.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic