• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 2020 General Discussion

Hoosier

12 for the overnight low after a high yesterday of 28.  Had a dusting of snow Thursday, an inch Friday, another dusting yesterday evening...  I think beavis would be perfectly satisfied with this type of weather but for the UP this time of year, it's strange.  I haven't received more than 3" in a single day since Nov 1st...even noticed a few bear tracks down by the creek, which are normally weeks into hibernating by now.  MQT was 5.8 degrees above for November and 5.9 above for December so far... still tho, it has been cold enough to keep what little snow we've had, otg.

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, weatherbo said:

12 for the overnight low after a high yesterday of 28.  Had a dusting of snow Thursday, an inch Friday, another dusting yesterday evening...  I think beavis would be perfectly satisfied with this type of weather but for the UP this time of year, it's strange.  I haven't received more than 3" in a single day since Nov 1st...even noticed a few bear tracks down by the creek, which are normally weeks into hibernating by now.  MQT was 5.8 degrees above for November and 5.9 above for December so far... still tho, it has been cold enough to keep what little snow we've had, otg.

Yeah Bo...I’m sure it’s boring as **** up there. Snowmobilers and ice fishing enthusiasts are going out of their minds. No snow on the ground anywhere in the Midwest, except for your area and maybe a few other local microclimate areas...and it will somehow get even worse the next few days. 

Good news is you have a pretty big margin for error, so you can at least hold onto some semblance of winter even with a horrendous pattern. Hopefully it changes soon for you and all of us. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Yeah Bo...I’m sure it’s boring as **** up there. Snowmobilers and ice fishing enthusiasts are going out of their minds. No snow on the ground anywhere in the Midwest, except for your area and maybe a few other local microclimate areas...and it will somehow get even worse the next few days. 

Good news is you have a pretty big margin for error, so you can at least hold onto some semblance of winter even with a horrendous pattern. Hopefully it changes soon for you and all of us. 

Between Covid restrictions and lack of snow, it is a literal ghost town around the area.

Despite no real cold, lakes locally are frozen(a month late), and I've been able to do some fishing on a pond with about 2" of ice.     

Drastic difference between today and around the same time last year.

IMG_0985.jpg.a81605fc1983ba3a4927d733863129bc.jpg

IMG_1974.JPG.1b5609484a306e944791af9abb2e2107.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Have you seen this snow freak? This was a chart from Bill Deeder’s, I’m sure I spelled his name wrong, winter forecast. It says 9 of the past 10 have been warmer then normal for Detroit. I know you’re really good with stats and was wondering is that what you’re seeing also? If so that’s pretty crazy. I know snowfall hasn’t really been affected by the warmth but man that’s a pretty disturbing trend that’s going on for the Detroit area.

04C6A42A-4876-434A-A1C8-C382BFCB4218.jpeg

24 minutes ago, slow poke said:

Have you seen this snow freak? This was a chart from Bill Deeder’s, I’m sure I spelled his name wrong, winter forecast. It says 9 of the past 10 have been warmer then normal for Detroit. I know you’re really good with stats and was wondering is that what you’re seeing also? If so that’s pretty crazy. I know snowfall hasn’t really been affected by the warmth but man that’s a pretty disturbing trend that’s going on for the Detroit area.

04C6A42A-4876-434A-A1C8-C382BFCB4218.jpeg

It looks like that chart is NAO values, which makes sense as there hasn’t been a true -NAO winter in years. 2013-14 and 2014-15 were top 20 coldest winters, while  2011-12, 2015-16, 2016-17 and 2019-20 were in the top 10 warmest winters. 

1 hour ago, MIstorm97 said:

It looks like that chart is NAO values, which makes sense as there hasn’t been a true -NAO winter in years. 2013-14 and 2014-15 were top 20 coldest winters, while  2011-12, 2015-16, 2016-17 and 2019-20 were in the top 10 warmest winters. 

That makes more since, I miss read that, thanks MI storm.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snowstorms said:

Got a surprise 2.2" last night. Looks like a winter wonderland.

Toronto is cashing in big time. Nothing down here just south of Hamilton. Since temperatures have been so marginal its going to cause some weird memories for this winter. I see Buffalo Metro is rain and 34F while its suburbs are having one of its bigger snow events of the year with around 2-3". 

The first snowstorm from a few weeks ago will be remembered in Brampton where my dad recorded 10" but my moms house down on the lake in Mississauga saw trace amounts. So already my mom views this winter as barely starting and my dad says its off to a fast start haha 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

Toronto is cashing in big time. Nothing down here just south of Hamilton. Since temperatures have been so marginal its going to cause some weird memories for this winter. I see Buffalo Metro is rain and 34F while its suburbs are having one of its bigger snow events of the year with around 2-3". 

The first snowstorm from a few weeks ago will be remembered in Brampton where my dad recorded 10" but my moms house down on the lake in Mississauga saw trace amounts. So already my mom views this winter as barely starting and my dad says its off to a fast start haha 

Well-deserved for Toronto after experiencing 4 futility winters since 2006 lol. Temperatures were marginal even for us. It's been a weird start I agree. Quite a lot of disparity in amounts and precip types even just 20km apart. I had a hunch we'd get maybe an inch as I was looking at last night's HRRR but did not expect to see 2-4" across the GTA with the shortwave. 

Haha. I'm sure many people near the Lakeshore and south probably think it's another snowless start to winter. YYZ has missing snowfall data since Dec 1 so I’m not exactly sure what the YTD amount is officially but I’d suspect its between 35-40cm (14-16”).  I'm at 43.4cm (17.1") on the season as of today. Just for laughs, YYZ recorded 42.8cm (16.8”) back in 2011-12. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

Well-deserved for Toronto after experiencing 4 futility winters since 2006 lol. Temperatures were marginal even for us. It's been a weird start I agree. Quite a lot of disparity in amounts and precip types even just 20km apart. I had a hunch we'd get maybe an inch as I was looking at last night's HRRR but did not expect to see 2-4" across the GTA with the shortwave. 

Haha. I'm sure many people near the Lakeshore and south probably think it's another snowless start to winter. YYZ has missing snowfall data since Dec 1 so I’m not exactly sure what the YTD amount is officially but I’d suspect its between 35-40cm (14-16”).  I'm at 43.4cm (17.1") on the season as of today. Just for laughs, YYZ recorded 42.8cm (16.8”) back in 2011-12. 

haha ya but for them I think using YTZ would show better that their thinking isn't that far from reality (For lakeshore areas and south) 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

Looks like a decent system for Muskoka this weekend. another 4-8" to just keep adding to their base. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

Looks like a decent system for Muskoka this weekend. another 4-8" to just keep adding to their base. 

Track is still up in the air, but I wouldn't be surprised if areas north of Barrie end up with 10-20cm (4-8") this weekend. Then again Parry Sound, Muskoka, etc average ~320cm (125") every winter. Their proximity to Georgian Bay helps them considerably. We in Toronto rarely get lake effect snow from Lake Ontario because an east to west wind is extremely rare due to the Coriolis effect. It sucks I know lol. That's why we only average 110-120cm (43-47") every winter. But I'll take what we get. 

• Like 1