• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

1 hour ago, 96blizz said:

Im following this one big time because growing up on the jersey shore I’ve never had a snowstorm Christmas Eve into Christmas!

Good banter topic since we got a few days of waiting... What’s everyone’s most memorable Christmas Eve / Christmas Day snow storm?  Mine is Christmas Eve 2004.  Short lived band but got over a foot in just a couple hours.  Interesting tidbit I saw when going back to read up on the event.  Crazy we haven’t had another storm on 24/25 in Buffalo since that one...

It was Buffalo's 6th major (over 6") lake storm in the last 12 years on either Dec 24 or 25!

A73B799F-BC24-41A9-BB38-664648E5D70A.jpeg

9B16AD38-4989-4EDE-8F21-71D32356D0F8.jpeg

• Like 2

I live in Poughkeepsie now, but I grew up in Buffalo.  I did commercial snow plowing right after I graduated from college, and the very first flakes I plowed were Christmas week 2001.  Just a bonkers event for the Northtowns and I’ve still never seen anything like it.  As it turned out, I also plowed on either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day in ‘02 and ‘03.

Man I miss lake effect...

Go Bills!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Good banter topic since we got a few days of waiting... What’s everyone’s most memorable Christmas Eve / Christmas Day snow storm?  Mine is Christmas Eve 2004.  Short lived band but got over a foot in just a couple hours.  Interesting tidbit I saw when going back to read up on the event.  Crazy we haven’t had another storm on 24/25 in Buffalo since that one...

It was Buffalo's 6th major (over 6") lake storm in the last 12 years on either Dec 24 or 25!

78.  Got ten inches plus out of thin air. 

I remember this one! I was only 10 years old but I remember having to shovel my Grandmas driveway and walkway before people came over for Christmas dinner. Was a lot of shoveling haha! What I find more crazy is we had 6 major events in a 12 year span for a Christmas but then haven’t had one in the next 16 years, that’s absolutely insane and just quite the string of bad luck. Hopefully it that’ll change this year and put an end to that drought. 

• Like 1

2003, living in the city of Syracuse and we got 10" Christmas Eve into Christmas Day and that too was my first ever White Christmas and was also the first year I  moved up here so that made it even more special.  It would be kool to have another one so we'll see

• Like 3

Starting the 24th through the new year I and a buddy are off. Hoping for some big snows so we can get some ride time in. For the last several years I have saved Vaca for this block of time off and have yet to do any riding in this time frame. Hoping 2020 is different! Also on top of all that, a white Christmas will be pretty awesome even if it's just a few inches to make it feel like winter/Christmas.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Geez150 said:

Starting the 24th through the new year I and a buddy are off. Hoping for some big snows so we can get some ride time in. For the last several years I have saved Vaca for this block of time off and have yet to do any riding in this time frame. Hoping 2020 is different! Also on top of all that, a white Christmas will be pretty awesome even if it's just a few inches to make it feel like winter/Christmas.

Where are you? Where will you be snowmobiling? 

1 hour ago, rochesterdave said:

Where are you? Where will you be snowmobiling? 

I live in basically on the Genesee county/Livingston County line. But as per riding goes, I go where the snow is. If WNY was to get a good LES event and I could ride from home I would or head down to Wyoming, Chautauqua, etc if Erie were to only bless the south. And if no Erie love we would be up east of Ontario in the Tug or ADK. May have to check out the eastern ADKs. Or Binghamton area if the snow pack holds up with this multi day run of 40s we have ahead of us.

• Like 1

My most memorable Christmas Eve into Christmas Day storm was in 1978.  I was living in Little Falls then.  Forecast was for something like 3-5 inches of snow changing to rain. Went to Christmas Eve mass at 8 PM it just started snowing. Came out to about an inch on the car.  We went to a friends house, when we left around midnight there had to be close to a foot on the ground.  Streets weren’t plowed so we ended up abandoning the car on Main St. and walking to my house. It snowed hard all night and the next morning there was 18 inches on the ground.   As we drove around in my brother’s Oldsmobile station wagon trying to get to someone’s house he slid around a corner and tapped a telephone pole.  He let out a few expletives and right then there was a flash of lightning and a rumble of thunder.  That storm had everything!

2 hours ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

2003, living in the city of Syracuse and we got 10" Christmas Eve into Christmas Day and that too was my first ever White Christmas and was also the first year I  moved up here so that made it even more special.  It would be kool to have another one so we'll see

I was living in Brewerton for that storm. I remember getting about a foot of snow.  My brother, the same one as mentioned above, was up from Little Falls with his family for Christmas.   While we were at my sister’s house Christmas afternoon reports started coming in of extremely heavy snow falling in the Mohawk Valley.  My sister in law called their neighbor back home and she confirmed that they had feet of snow.  The Thruway was closed down so they made the decision to stay up here that night.  When they got home the next day they found over 3 feet of snow.  That was the most memorable aspect of that storm. 

I don't know what would be worse for BGM area regarding potential storm next week... 12+ of snow or 1.5+ of rain. Alot of side streets still haven't been made passable yet. I'd be okay with BGM missing out on any sig snows, but don't want much rain either and have to clear my garage roof. Ugh.

1 minute ago, BGM Blizzard said:

I don't know what would be worse for BGM area regarding potential storm next week... 12+ of snow or 1.5+ of rain. Alot of side streets still haven't been made passable yet. I'd be okay with BGM missing out on any sig snows, but don't want much rain either. Ugh.

You guys should be alright with 1-2” of rain. You guys “only” had about 2” of QPF in the event. In Nov 2014 there was upwards of 6” of QPF in the 70-90”+ that fell over the course of 3 days, then was followed up with several inches of rain and everything fared okay flood wise. There was roof collapses but many of those started before the rain came from the snowpack itself. Hopefully you guys don’t have to worry about roof collapses with the lesser amount of snow/QPF and the amount of time between the end of the snowstorm yesterday morning and if/when the heavy rain comes next week. 

8 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

You guys should be alright with 1-2” of rain. You guys “only” had about 2” of QPF in the event. In Nov 2014 there was upwards of 6” of QPF in the 70-90”+ that fell over the course of 3 days, then was followed up with several inches of rain and everything fared okay flood wise. There was roof collapses but many of those started before the rain came from the snowpack itself. Hopefully you guys don’t have to worry about roof collapses with the lesser amount of snow/QPF and the amount of time between the end of the snowstorm yesterday morning and if/when the heavy rain comes next week. 

Yeah flooding would probably be limited to poor drainage type stuff, but definitely would be concerned about roofs. There were already some roof collapses of mobile homes just from the snow. I would probably clear my garage roof off just for precaution if it ends up we are looking at something significant a few days out. I think I read KBGM recorded 2.71 of liquid equivalent from the 40" of snow, hopefully we shed some of it before next storm. 

• Like 1

Yeah 00z is even better because winds back more SW than previous runs as the storm ends up tracking a little further west along that front as it moves into Canada. Would be a few days of nice SW slow after the storm riding the front drops several inches. Would definitley be a white Xmas for most. 

I couldn’t care less about the storm along the front, give me a few days of a WSW to SW flow and I’d be thrilled even if I’m not in the bullseye. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, vortmax said:

Canadian showing a big storm running along the cold front as well...more west than the GFS, so it's ugly through Christmas day. 

I had to laugh, and wonder about the sanity of the Buf NWS...in their discussion they mention two camps for Christmas, the GFS and...the GGEM...wait, what? Since the ?$&! Are we using the GGEM as a reference??? Did the euro go away? 2020...

Even though both systems that traverse the area between Sunday and through Tuesday are quite weak, they should still manage to drop anywhere between 3-6" so a nice refresher before the Main Event which arrives some time on Thursday.  That event is still up in the air wrt the track, intensity and longevity of the SLP, if there's even one around, :unsure:!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

European has several inches between 2 small events early next week, according to the NWS marginal temps so we'll see..

sn10_acc.us_ne - 2020-12-19T012341.376.png

lol, I didn't even see this post before I made mine about the same thing :D, anyway, I don't see any issues temp's wise for both events as I looked at the soundings for both events and we look fine temp wise and I don't think we get anywhere near the Mid-Upper 30's as I think we stay closer to the lower 30's but like always we'll see I suppose! 

• Thanks 1

Look at how the Euro catches the two enhanced areas of snowfall and of course I'm right in the middle of both, :axe: unreal and yes, I will be moving after the house sells which should be sometime in the Spring.  I'm thinking Maine, perhaps South Central Maine where I can head to the coast within an hr and I can also enjoy the Mountains, which is even closer within 1/2 hr, so we'll see!

• Like 1

I am not liking the looks of our potential Christmas Miracle and I'm hoping it changes, as it will but like this last event, the models latched and never let go and it looks like thats occurring once again but this time its a much more difficult situation to nail down unlike the last. Guidance seems to be liking a more Westward track of any system that does form, so that doesn't bode well for anyone especially those who just received feet of snow!