Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The Florida Winter Thread

turtlehurricane

5 hours ago, turtlehurricane said:

Cloudy and cold this morning with passing showers, feels like New York. GFS shows several cold fronts coming in over the next week so it'll stay fairly cold. Nothing major coming though. 

It's been pretty chilly on Anna Maria Island for the last few days.  Do you anticipate a warm up in the near future?  Our stay here ends on Sunday, but there is a possibility to extend it to the following Saturday (1/23).  Do you think the weather will warm up next week to justify staying an additional week?  Thank you for any advisement on the weather for the next 3-10 days.

Powerful FROPA today, been extremely windy and cool even in the heat of the day, and now it's quickly dropped to 60 F, and we're on our ways to the upper 40s tonight. Very strong CAA will make highs struggle to hit 65 F tomorrow. 

Notably, I am about to be driving north, all the way to New York eventually, so about to really experience winter for the first time in a long time. 

Looks like by the time I even get north of Lake Okeechobee it will be freezing cold, with highs below 60 F. If I make it all the way up to Georgia tomorrow highs will be around 50 F and lows below freezing. 

This is really the most extreme time of year to drive north, so I'm excited. Looks like polar vortex will be over New York by the time I get there too, maybe temps near 0 F. 

Only a day after hitting the low-mid 40s, which was frigid cold for me, it is already up to 75 F and undoubtedly heading to 80 F today. That's the beauty of South Florida winter. It might get cold sometimes, but it doesn't last long.

Ultimately I did not go drive up north due to covid restrictions and such. And honestly, I don't think I could've handled the cold up there anyways. I have not felt sub-freezing temps in over 8 years. 

• Weenie 1

On 2/5/2021 at 10:40 AM, turtlehurricane said:

Only a day after hitting the low-mid 40s, which was frigid cold for me, it is already up to 75 F and undoubtedly heading to 80 F today. That's the beauty of South Florida winter. It might get cold sometimes, but it doesn't last long.

Ultimately I did not go drive up north due to covid restrictions and such. And honestly, I don't think I could've handled the cold up there anyways. I have not felt sub-freezing temps in over 8 years. 

It was the coldest morning here.

Simultaneous with the severe weather further up the peninsula, Caribbean air has finally come back here thanks to the strong southerly inflow. It's moist and hot, temp hovering around 85 F. Lows for the entire next week expected to be 70 F. 

Seems like winter is coming to an end. Still potential to get more spring time cold shots later on, especially when polar vortex breaks down as hemisphere transitions towards summer.

Even when that happens tho, the sun angle is rapidly increasing and it will be very hard for cold air to stick around here. 

Getting tropical downpours in the middle of the night, temp hovering in low 70s. The frontal boundary literally stalled directly over me, and now starting to be pushed back north. In-fact, wind shift occurred as far south as northern Broward. 

GFS shows zero FROPAs for at least the next week, just a constantly flow of tropical air from the Caribbean. We might even see Seabreeze season begin. 

EDIT: It's really pouring, maybe getting an inch or two of rain. Feels like the beginning of wet season, hasn't rained like this in a long time. 

• 2 weeks later...

The whole country has been freezing, but we're in a sealed off tropical biosphere over here. I was at the beach yesterday and the air temp was 85 F, and the water was warm and everyone was swimming. Gotta love it.

However, this probably means we are going to have an extreme hurricane season. I've never seen water temps this warm this time of year. This is supposed to be the climatological minimum for ocean temps, and the ocean should be freezing. 

P.S. Lots of thunderstorm activity over the past day. It's feeling pretty much like summer. Although a cold front is projected to come through later this week and drop highs down to 70 F and lows into the 50s. 

I finally went on that road trip up north. When I left my house it was around 80 F. It was already getting cooler out by the time I got to Vero Beach, and in St. Augustine it was a chilly 54 F, 20 degrees colder than at my home at the same time. 

I made it all the way up to coastal southern Georgia so far, where it is a frigid 41 F right now, which is equivalent to the coldest temps I've experienced all winter, and 33 degrees colder than where I live. 

Heading up the east coast much further today. It looks to be a relatively balmy day today in the Southeast US, but I'm driving so far north that I'll be experiencing the first 30s of the year by tonight, and then eventually 20s by early next week since I'm going all the way to Rhode Island. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm loving the weather. Last night we had summer-style rain squalls coming off the ocean. It's the first sign of hurricane season. 

I went all the way up north on my road trip. Coldest temps I felt were 12 F in Rhode Island with a -8 F wind chill. It was outright painful. On the upside I saw some snow flurries and it was exciting. 

I've had enough cold weather now, and I'm glad summer is setting in. 

• 6 months later...

Time to revive the Florida winter thread! We are getting our first northerly winds in SE FL the past day as a backdoor front sits over the area.

Weve had tremendous rains and storms every day for the past several days due to this weather setup, as the continental air clashes with tropical air.

Looks like front will push through a little more in the next day, and by tomorrow lows will be in the low 70s.

Game on! I’m excited for this rendition of Florida Winter 

Dewpoints went as low as the low 60s last night, temps went down to 70. Definitely the coolest and driest air in many months. Even though it is a very slight cold front, it is still very interesting, since it indicates that Fall is beginning. In less than a month we will probably have a 'real' cold front. 

• 3 weeks later...

NWS forecasting a FROPA Sunday night / Monday morning. However, only effect will be highs dropping from the upper 80s to the mid 80s, as well as some drier air. 

Further north, in Central and Northern Florida, most places will see lows in the 50s. 

Still no major cold fronts on the horizon, but they'll be coming soon enough. 

• 4 weeks later...

Winter is here!!!!

Yesterday morning is when it really started. I woke up and there was a stiff wind gusting to 30 mph, overcast skies, and temps hovering in the low 60s. It felt absolutely frigid after the long hot summer we've been through. Eventually skies cleared and temps hit a high of 75, which was still fairly cold.

This morning were getting our first 50s of the season. 57-59 F being observed across the SE Metro area as I write this right before sunrise. It's really really cold! We even got some 10-20 mph gusts rolling through making it feel even colder. 

I'm so happy the cold air is finally here! 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Massive cold front coming today, looks like the biggest one in the past 5-10 years. So I am reviving the thread :D

We actually had a decent cold front a week ago too and I totally forgot to post in here. 

This is the volcanic winter for sure. Every forecast has been trending colder, and observations on the ground have been colder than forecast consistently every day and night. Sun is getting blocked out across the world by the Tonga eruption. The liberals are trying to play it down because it ruins the global warming agenda. 

• Like 1