Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Medium/Long Range Discussion

yoda

4 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

The block's going to retrograde west folks and we'll get our good pacific, lol. Relax. The good stuff won't come until the 1st week of January or after.

There has been a tendency for Inland Runners and Coastal huggers but the Dynamics of the block have to fully mature,  the best chances most likely after the 7th of January.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

I dont get the complaints. The GFS has a really nice storm for early January. And it has been keying on that time frame for days. The pattern is fine. Maybe not a blockbuster pattern with the PAC being modelled the way it is. But it is a good upcoming pattern for some snow. 

Impatience... I think some expected something to happen between Xmas and New Years 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

He jumped the gun...got excited probably.  I do think the pattern he saw is coming...he was just a week wearly.  I am claiming Jan 5-15th as our window.  

He probably did jump the gun,  but the pattern that he spoke about may very well develop in time. 

The Nao and the Arctic oscillation point to the possibility of  winter storm threats in the East at some point in  January.

5 minutes ago, howrdcounty snow said:

isn't that the same storm we got last time??

some similarities...the mid and upper levels open up and allows WAA to go wild and the storm lifts a little too far north.  But its a minor adjustment from a big hit.  But the real takeaway is we have the exact same pac pattern there...the difference is the blocking has moved into the western NAO domain and matured and so that next wave from the same starting point cannot cut like the 2 before it.  This is all typical.  We do better once blocking is established or is relaxing...not as its developing.  

2 minutes ago, frd said:

He probably did jump the gun,  but the pattern that he spoke about may very well develop in time. 

The Nao and the Arctic oscillation point to the possibility of  winter storm threats in the East at some point in  January.

If we get the west based NAO block on all guidance in January and NOTHING comes of it...then I will join Ji in trolling the bleep out of this winter.  But I do not think that happens.  If that blocking is real we will be tracking threats soon.  I know its hard to wait.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

some similarities...the mid and upper levels open up and allows WAA to go wild and the storm lifts a little too far north.  But its a minor adjustment from a big hit.  But the real takeaway is we have the exact same pac pattern there...the difference is the blocking has moved into the western NAO domain and matured and so that next wave from the same starting point cannot cut like the 2 before it.  This is all typical.  We do better once blocking is established or is relaxing...not as its developing.  

agreed, just making an observation, and know it may change in time. I have no expectations this early as I know the snow history in central md, I have lived here for over 60 years, I'm very realistic

37 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Some hints of a CAD situation though...  If we could get some energy to run out ahead or get some overrunning ahead of that warm front, that could be a way to get some frozen precip.  

GGEM does the CAD thing too for the New Years storm.  Actually has some ZR verbatim.  

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

If we get the west based NAO block on all guidance in January and NOTHING comes of it...then I will join Ji in trolling the bleep out of this winter.  But I do not think that happens.  If that blocking is real we will be tracking threats soon.  I know its hard to wait.  

The waitin’ is the hardest part - Tom Petty

:guitar:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

To illustrate 

5F7E5B28-5522-407A-932F-B48707B09C11.thumb.png.2b8e975ee220342e5a9d7283a6cb3516.png

the blocking is just starting to get into a position to do any good here...but look at the ridge already in the northeast. It’s not in time to save the New Years threat if that energy comes across in one piece and amplifies to our west. but look at a few days later...

516ED53D-6F5A-439B-8CEC-AA4ECEAA52AF.thumb.png.4172ca7689013509d22b17cc1d1d581a.png

This look should offset the pac. Actually in this look I want the pac shooting energy in otherwise that’s a dry look likely. It would be very difficult to get a cutter in this look once the blocking gets established in the western NAO domain. Would be hard to get enough ridging in that flow. 

This is a really helpful post, thanks. First week of January has the best NAM look in years. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

23 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

GEFS looks good after the New Years cutter. Better block location and just enough ridge in western Canada and the SW.  

Hasn't the GEFS out-schooled the EPS,  or is it my imagination? Thought  a couple mets commented on that last week.  

:grinch::sled:

Damn !!!!  I like!!!

This is the composite of Jan-Febs that had late Dec-Jan SSWEs & whose tropospheric pattern in the 3 weeks leading up to the SSWE bears some semblance to this yr (+WPO/+EPO/-NAO/-AO/+SCAND). Very NINO heavy composite as you'd probably expect given the deep, precursor Aleutian Low

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, frd said:

Hasn't the GEFS out-schooled the EPS,  or is it my imagination? Thought  a couple mets commented on that last week.  

In terms of long term patterns they have been each holding their own. Gefs won in Early Dec when EPS was going torch mid dec. EPS has continually tried to shift the WPO trough east too much. Gefs has been handling that better. This version of the Gefs has been much better IMO but I can’t say without doing a more objective controlled study of its “schooling” the EPS. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, frd said:

There has been a tendency for Inland Runners and Coastal huggers but the Dynamics of the block have to fully mature,  the best chances most likely after the 7th of January.

I can tell you for historically sure that “delayed but not denied” bites us in the ass Far  more often then not. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, frd said:

:grinch::sled:

Damn !!!!  I like!!!

This is the composite of Jan-Febs that had late Dec-Jan SSWEs & whose tropospheric pattern in the 3 weeks leading up to the SSWE bears some semblance to this yr (+WPO/+EPO/-NAO/-AO/+SCAND). Very NINO heavy composite as you'd probably expect given the deep, precursor Aleutian Low

careful there are some really good analogs in there...but some complete duds also.  2002 and 2013 are in that group!!!  Obviously we would all take 1958 or 1987 again... most of the others were some version of mediocre but given our expectations coming we probably should be happy with mediocre.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

I can tell you for historically sure that “delayed but not denied” bites us in the ass Far  more often then not. 

Yeah but this isn't the same thing as the last few years...the good pattern is practically right on top of us...not 15 days out in fantasy land. This time patience actually is warranted for the pattern to develop...

13 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

if the blocking gets delayed yes...when we start to see the pattern get pushed back in time it often is a sign the guidance is not handling the progression correctly.  But in this case the issue is some saw the blocking go up in the long range and got excited and jumped on the first waves to come along as the blocking was in its infancy stages.  That isnt our MO.  We tend to score snow on the backside of blocking regimes once the blocking has fully matured or is relaxing.  The blocking itself isn't getting delayed...just the idea that the threats to come from a blocking regime are likely to be later not sooner.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic