Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
December Medium/Long Range Discussion

yoda

1 hour ago, BristowWx said:

Hate to ask but could you send it my way.  My slush has turned to slush. 

Lmao!! I have nothing to spare. I had freezing rain all day and then whatever the hell is out there now. I can send a snowball is what I believe I can muster up. Did you really not get anything up that way? 

7 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Lmao!! I have nothing to spare. I had freezing rain all day and then whatever the hell is out there now. I can send a snowball is what I believe I can muster up. Did you really not get anything up that way? 

No I got 2 inches and then mostly ZR all day. But it never hurts to ask for more 

I think after the Christmas trough there will be a brief opportunity. I just think the heights look too high in 50/50  location for the Christmas storm even if it does kind of dive down south and Negative tilt. Gfs para nailed today’s storm pretty well imo. A lot better than the OP. I might start giving it more serious look these days...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

6z GFS is pretty close to an event next Monday :weenie:

Still out there but the GEFS has a whopping 3lps in the location of the GFS :p

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-ne-mslp_with_low_locs-8584400.thumb.png.97dae7ffc10a2e5ea2c7de9d485fd09c.png

Although these lps seem to be overshadowed by a cluster of consensus around the great lakes. Seems like a recipe for nothing? Stale airmass, great lakes low. I guess there's time to iron out the details though

06z GEFS relaxes the NA blocking regime around D10 only to really bring it back toward the end of the run....

That Aleutian low is a very stable feature.  A shift east with that low just a bit could send this pattern into a very cold, classic pattern for snow.  As it is, plenty of positives to be taken from the advertised pattern.... 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

06z GEFS relaxes the NA blocking regime around D10 only to really bring it back toward the end of the run....

That Aleutian low is a very stable feature.  A shift east with that low just a bit could send this pattern into a very cold, classic pattern for snow.  As it is, plenty of positives to be taken from the advertised pattern.... 

Yeah that's a pretty nice look at the end of the run. EPAC looks about as good as we could hope for, and  the Atlantic ridge builds further north/west into southern Greenland. Looks like the 0z EPS might be heading in that direction too.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

As you mentioned, positives regarding snowfall and cold. Big differences versus last year at this time. 
We track. 

I've annotated the 35-day GEFS (note this is yesterday's run) with my thoughts on the evolution of the U-wind...

Significant wave-1 "attack" on the stratospheric vortex toward late December in recent GFS runs. Z500 anomalies constructively interfere with climo wave-1 pattern. Leads to sig. deceleration & warming in this run & could open door to further wave-2 activity if trop. conducive

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2

Yeah yeah, even though I grew up in  South Philly, I always get pissed when Philly gets crushed with 6 or 14 inches and I get 2 inch or 4 inch events here below the Canal in Middletown. But, anyway you view the event from yesterday I believe it is more of a positive , even for our region, versus a negative. The stat below is interesting from a Philly perspective. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

I wonder if that's a timing issue for these maps. Everything I've seen shows a cold front coming through with possibly some precipitation, and then it getting very cold behind the front.

Good point sir.  Wondered that myself.  Timing because the pattern could look great for days but a missed connection and whammy shows up

7 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Good point sir.  Wondered that myself.  Timing because the pattern could look great for days but a missed connection and whammy shows up

The GFS and Euro are pretty in sync with the dump of cold air at Christmas.  I'd like to see maybe a reinforcement of that and then a storm running into it.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

The GFS and Euro are pretty in sync with the dump of cold air at Christmas.  I'd like to see maybe a reinforcement of that and then a storm running into it.

Probably a brief warm up before the re-load? If it's a day or two that'd be fine, so long as we don't torch back into the 60s or something.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic