Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Medium/Long Range Discussion

yoda

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

What does the EPS have for Monday?  Remember the Op was flat as hell, next flattest compared to the GGEM.  If the EPS agrees on Monday there may be some merit to a crappier solution Wednesday as has been said often the last 24 hours.  

EPS was flatter/less amped at 12z than 06z, FWIW

6 minutes ago, Winter Wizard said:

Lots of west leaning members here, tread carefully. 

DC0C7B05-9852-4741-894F-8B0A2428CB27.png

Doesn't look that bad. Tons of lows out over the ocean. There are some over land for sure, but some of those to the west of the bay seem very unlikely, just like the few that are way out in the Atlantic. Seems like this likely ends up somewhere from Salisbury to a ways off OCMD.

1 hour ago, stormtracker said:

It’s actually not too bad. SV maps have dc n and w 18-20+.  Not gonna happen. But still. Not a complete disaster 

I’m late to the party and probably 150 posts behind...but it hits the wall of confluence and turns due east just in time to save DC north.  Keep in mind euro is typically the most amplified model (sometimes a little too amplified) so seeing it slightly north of other guidance (initially) isn’t shocking.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

EPS a bit worse but it’s also easy to see how battered we’ve been for a while now :lol: 

We’ve got the CMC, GFS and Euro Ops with some pretty great results for the usual suspects and the I95 corridor; the UKMET is less bullish but still a good result for a lot of us in Dec. Yet you’d think from the discussion on the EPS we’re set up for a soul crushing bust even though it still gives some of us more snow than all last year lol. One run at a time, best models for us in a long long time!

Just now, psuhoffman said:

I’m late to the party and probably 150 posts behind...but it hits the wall of confluence and turns due east just in time to save DC north.  Keep in mind euro is typically the most amplified model (sometimes a little too amplified) so seeing it slightly north of other guidance (initially) isn’t shocking.

Hopefully the over amplified bias is playing by with the EPS as well.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

FWIW the ICON has consistently been the warmest and furthest West with the LP track of all the globals. Is it on to something?

Wouldn't let my mind go there if I were you...and just remember it's the ICON, lol Let's just see what happens in the next suite...then we can discuss blip or trend

Just now, Snowchaser said:

I'm shocked Cville is in the Red. Clearly they know more than me lol.

There are three regions on the map.  Charlottesville is lumped in with Hagerstown, just like Fairfax is lumped in with St. Mary's. 

Could be area for improvement in the future if it ultimately presents a problem, but I love the product! 

43 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Hopefully the over amplified bias is playing by with the EPS as well.

Since the Eps is based on the op and typically supports it it makes sense it would have the same bias but I can’t say for sure.  But Imo the reaction to the 12z Eps is overblown.  It’s not as bad as it looks.  It’s sort of an illusion imo.  There are several factors that make that 108 hr panel look awful.  There was always a camp in the EPS going back 48 hours that has a too far inside track v the cluster of tracks that would support a decent amount of frozen.  

From my analysis I don’t think the % in each cluster changed that much. Several factors made that 108 panel look worse. First a few if the inside runners are way inside this run. But it matters not to us if the track is up the fall line vs up the bay. Both are rain. Matters for Harrisburg I guess.  The inside runners are deeper too skewing the mean.

Second the timing tightened up.  There is way less timing differences on the 12z v 0z so now there is one panel where you can see all the inside runners at one time.  

Third the timing changed by 3 hours so now that 108 panel catches the storm at its closest inland pass in VA where before most of the lows we’re still down in NC then off the MD coast.  We didn’t have one panel on the EPS that caught all the lows at their ugliest look before.

By my count if you look at all the panels and estimate (hard to do with some but this is close) there were 21 members out of 50 that were inside of a “frozen supporting track” at 0z. That doesn’t mean the others were all huge hits but tracks that should support a decent bit of snow into 95.  At 12z I count 23 inside runners.  So maybe 2 more in the camp we don’t want.  But that seems like noise to me.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Since the Eps is based on the op and typically supports it it makes sense it would have the same bias but I can’t say for sure.  But Imo the reaction to the 12z Eps is overblown.  It’s not as bad as it looks.  It’s sort of an illusion imo.  There are several factors that make that 108 hr panel look awful.  There was always a camp in the EPS going back 48 hours that has a too far inside track v the cluster of tracks that would support a decent amount of frozen.  

From my analysis I don’t think the % in each cluster changed that much. Several factors made that 108 panel look worse. First a few if the inside runners are way inside this run. But it matters not to us if the track is up the fall line vs up the bay. Both are rain. Matters for Harrisburg I guess.  The inside runners are deeper too skewing the mean.

Second the timing tightened up.  There is way less timing differences on the 12z v 0z so now there is one panel where you can see all the inside runners at one time.  

Third the timing changed by 3 hours so now that 108 panel catches the storm at its closest inland pass in VA where before most of the lows we’re still down in NC then off the MD coast.  We didn’t have one panel on the EPS that caught all the lows at their ugliest look before.

By my count if you look at all the panels and estimate (hard to do with some but this is close) there were 21 members out of 50 that were inside of a “frozen supporting track” at 0z. That doesn’t mean the others were all huge hits but tracks that should support a decent bit of snow into 95.  At 12z I count 23 inside runners.  So maybe 2 more in the camp we don’t want.  But that seems like noise to me.  

Thanks for walking me back from the ledge.  

• Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic