Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Medium/Long Range Discussion

yoda

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

And before it happens ... if anybody except @yoda starts the next long range thread I vote for an immediate winter long suspension. @stormtracker you need to step in on this one.

We are a superstitious group.  When or if we start a storm thread, I vote whoever started the 2016 Jan storm  get the honors...

For those in the cities and especially  s/e of 95... We better hope this thing doesn't tuck anymore or we'll be dealing with a quick 2-4" followed by a crap ton of rain. 

Not sure if there is a correlation but it does seem that as the models have become more amped for Monday the Wednesday storm is closer to the coast and the warm push is more and more pronounced. 

I'm still super excited and would take anything after the last couple of years. 

1 minute ago, MD Snow said:

For those in the cities and especially  s/e of 95... We better hope this thing doesn't tuck anymore or we'll be dealing with a quick 2-4' followed by a crap ton of rain. 

Not sure if there is a correlation but it does seem that as the models have become more amped for Monday the Wednesday storm is closer to the coast and the warm push is legit. 

It's clear where this is coming in. People can torment themselves over the loss coming or consider December climo + other factors like -AMO and AGW. If it's inevitable why keep tormenting yourself?

Living on the Cape gives you better hindsight. We are good at cutting losses.

9 minutes ago, H2O said:

Per Pivotal maps, the 12z GFS has 925s as close as Waldorf and across southern part of PG, AA Co. Thats at 108hr.  850s get right to Woodbridge same timeframe.  But crash back down for both from 108hr onward.  So that's as close as I want.

But do you REALLY tho?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

For those in the cities and especially  s/e of 95... We better hope this thing doesn't tuck anymore or we'll be dealing with a quick 2-4" followed by a crap ton of rain. 

Not sure if there is a correlation but it does seem that as the models have become more amped for Monday the Wednesday storm is closer to the coast and the warm push is legit. 

no

Canada's on board.

Moved away a bit from the amped solutions over past 24hr, but tbh it has had the overall H5 a little better than Euro and GFS did 24hrs ago, imo. See if that holds.

It seems when we have stable blocking (relative) the models do much better in that 4-7 day time frame. Run-run consistency seems high. Haven't seen that since 2016 HECS -- during winter at least.

Of concern are the 2m temps here, per the 12z GFS during the height of the storm weds. However, given the time of year and other dynamics this storm will likely produce, it is possible most if not all DC stays vast majority frozen. Parts SE always struggle even in perfect setups

image.thumb.png.6dab4375a9af24bd2162ef2646115a93.png

• Like 1

Just now, MD Snow said:

For those in the cities and especially  s/e of 95... We better hope this thing doesn't tuck anymore or we'll be dealing with a quick 2-4' followed by a crap ton of rain. 

That is already likely the case for SE of I95, if GFS and EURO are correct. Just looked at the GEFS, and its hours and hours of rain here with temps in the upper 30s verbatim. Need several ticks SE to give your area a buffer, and give me some decent snow. Went slightly the other way on the 12z GFS/GEFS.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

That is already likely the case for SE of I95, if GFS and EURO are correct. Just looked at the GEFS, and its hours and hours of rain here with temps in the upper 30s verbatim. Need several ticks SE to give your area a buffer, and give me some decent snow. Went slightly the other way on the 12z GFS/GEFS.

Now what would have to happen to make it go a tad SE?Just a little less amped on Wednesday? (or is this a double-edged sword...and that we don't want less amped because ya want the rates?)

7 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Here's how the last couple days of model runs seemed...

--00/12Z GFS:  Total beat-down, pummeling, crushed!

--00/12Z CMC:  Hold my beer...!

For anyone north of Baltimore, to me it seems fairly locked in at this point.  We are just at 96 hours.. if we get one more day of model runs like this.. and it fails.. we are looking at a huge bust.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic