Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December Medium/Long Range Discussion

yoda

9 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I’ll tell you what. It feels good to see so much joy on the boards right now. 

The pbp has been awesome.  Nothing like it when things are looking up. Kept hitting the refresh.  Waiting for that pesky GLL to show up and shit in our beer. That is the true grim reaper

13 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Yup, this is what I've seen as well.  Haven't spent the time to figure out quite why that pattern is there.

A more amplified Monday wave would suppress ridging along the east coast some. Maybe that helps get a cleaner transfer sooner. Or maybe more amplified runs are just more amplified across the board lol 

• Haha 1

Sterling NWS discussion

Broad surface low pressure will near the Ohio Valley early
Wednesday morning as the next upper trough/low tracks into the
Great Lakes Region. Low pressure along the Southeast coast will
begin to trek northward up the coast at the same time.
Precipitation should begin to overspread the CWA from south to
north later Tuesday night. Could be a little faster than
previously indicated. The potential for a more widespread wintry
solution exists with this system with the cold air at the
surface and low pressure tracking northeastward from the
Carolinas and off the Delmarva Peninsula. This system bears
watching as phasing or intensification near the Outer Banks
could mean the difference between chance or likely rain or snow
to likely or definite snow with accumulations as far east as the
I-95 corridor.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

@psuhoffman I know you said yesterday the outcomes for Monday and Wednesday seemed unrelated. But seeing guidance move in lockstep for both storms today has me wondering... 

1 hour ago, Winter Wizard said:

If there is any relation, I would maybe think a weaker, flatter system Monday would allow for a stronger Atlantic ridge to build ahead of wave 2. Would need to take a closer look and see if there's an impact. 

I looked at the EPS members. There is a relationship.

I identified the 7 most amplified members for Monday and 6 of them had the most south/cold solution for Wednesday. Those 6 had the axis of heaviest snow south of DC. Some were a total miss south. The 7th had a weird all NS solution with not much of a storm anywhere. 

Inversely the 11 members that I pulled as being flat and weak Monday had the warmest north solutions Wednesday. 9/11 were north of the mean Wednesday. And the 2 most suppressed Monday members were by far the most extremely north members Wed. 

Obviously this isn’t scientific but it seems on the Eps anyways a more amplified system Monday leads to a colder solution Wednesday.  Less obvious is any correlation to the amplitude or organization of the Wed storm. There were amplified but qpf producers in both camps. Some weaker in both. But the warm/cold correlation was like 90%

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I looked at the EPS members. There is a relationship.

I identified the 7 most amplified members for Monday and 6 of them had the most south/cold solution for Wednesday. Those 6 had the axis of heaviest snow south of DC. Some were a total miss south. The 7th had a weird all NS solution with not much of a storm anywhere. 

Inversely the 11 members that I pulled as being flat and weak Monday had the warmest north solutions Wednesday. 9/11 were north of the mean Wednesday. And the 2 most suppressed Monday members were by far the most extremely north members Wed. 

Obviously this isn’t scientific but it seems on the Eps anyways a more amplified system Monday leads to a colder solution Wednesday.  Less obvious is any correlation to the amplitude or organization of the Wed storm. There were amplified but qpf producers in both camps. Some weaker in both. But the warm/cold correlation was like 90%

Thanks for checking on that, seems to be in line with my hypothesis. The closer the timing between the two systems, the more of a relationship there will be. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

Looks an awful lot like the Euro lol.

Although it gives us some back end snow.

That’s a first guess.  Could easily trend better and you might take advantage of the departing low bombing to your east.  Hopefully we all get something out of this. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic