Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

29 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I lost it all. I didn't have 40 inches OTG. About 12" here north of the Presidentials. Some of the pictures from central VT and NH are heart-breaking. Beautiful thick packs with straight edge shovel and snowblower lines on the walkways wiped out overnight.

That may be the first time in many many years anything like that has ever happened. That’s exceedingly rare for that location 

Few gfs members have it, but it’s not even worth it at this range. The pacific is so volatile models will have tough time with energy coming on shore, and each model is handling next weeks cutter differently. The gfs was going to be suppressed, but it hung around long enough for a northern branch shortwave to phase in. That being said, it’s the only chance for coastal regions in the next 12 days it seems so might as well keep an eye on it

so are we punting the NYE storm? I had hope for that one... seems like the same ole story again, warm wet, cold dry... I would just love one nice big slow mover that lasts for 3 days, sorry for the rant but every time we sniff out something, as we close in it cuts or is fish food... not ready to punt Jan just yet

41 minutes ago, Fozz said:

I find it hard to believe that it would be a SNE rainstorm with that track and strength in early January.

It’s been done when they back in like that and turn from rain to snow.

But the GFS struggles at 24hr so I’m not going to get emotional either way over 246hr.

24 minutes ago, tavwtby said:

so are we punting the NYE storm? I had hope for that one... seems like the same ole story again, warm wet, cold dry... I would just love one nice big slow mover that lasts for 3 days, sorry for the rant but every time we sniff out something, as we close in it cuts or is fish food... not ready to punt Jan just yet

The New Years storm has looked terrible for 2 or 3 days now. That’s a big time cutter again I think unless we get a major synoptic change (still plausible but increasingly unlikely) 

It’s amazing how far north that one is progged to warm sector again. That’s what has been weird about these cutters...not that they are simply cutters, we get those relatively frequently early in the season, but that they are literally pushing 50s into Quebec City with zero high pressure at all creating any resistance even in far northern New England. Meanwhile they are causing snow thicknesses deep into northern Mexico...LOL. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The New Years storm has looked terrible for 2 or 3 days now. That’s a big time cutter again I think unless we get a major synoptic change (still plausible but increasingly unlikely) 

It’s amazing how far north that one is progged to warm sector again. That’s what has been weird about these cutters...not that they are simply cutters, we get those relatively frequently early in the season, but that they are literally pushing 50s into Quebec City with zero high pressure at all creating any resistance even in far northern New England. Meanwhile they are causing snow thicknesses deep into northern Mexico...LOL. 

very bizarre pattern indeed

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It’s literally another damaging wind , 60 dew .. 2-4” rain to Laurentian shield . It’s exactly modeled what we just suffered thru today . Never seen anything like this.

On 12/23/2020 at 11:00 PM, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Nice. The boulder may be a pebble by Christmas brunch.

I was going to do a fun Santa trick on my son first thing in the morning where I dress up and as he comes downstairs...I walk out the back deck turn around and wave from afar as if I just dropped off his presents (with his cookies that he left for ‘me’ in my hands). But that would place me outside in the pouring rain with mud up to the ankles. Not that visual of memory I’d like him to have. A little snow left on the ground would be better. I’m still going to do it...but with a poncho on instead. 

The boulder survived! Not much else did though....Merry Christmas!

20201225_162024.jpg

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s literally another damaging wind , 60 dew .. 2-4” rain to Laurentian shield . It’s exactly modeled what we just suffered thru today . Never seen anything like this.

Another damaging wind? Where is all of today's damage? Aside from the snowpack, which is the only damage I have seen.

8 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Even the Jay Peak crew knows they need a big storm with meaty snow at this point. Moose fart snow is awesome but can’t overcome a cutter cold/warm pattern like this. It’s better as window dressing and to freshen up the pack, not create it. 

Getting snow on the ground is what matters.  Don’t care what type it is.  3” is what we need to cover the grass and look out at white.  It’s New England, set expectations at white, ha.  I really miss the constant periods of snow... where you look outside and it’s always snowing, even flurries.  The like 3-4 days of flakes flying and a white ground.  That’s all we need for Norman Rockwell.

5 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

What a f’n vacation week disaster for ski areas.  
You are not really fixing this with a night or two of snow making.

Hopefully, if we do get a cutter next week, it’s not an absolute torch like this one.

No safe pond ice between here and Caribou and probably not much ice at all. 

Definitely would be impossible if the snow was good... the crowds during a pandemic with terrible snow are still more than impressive.  It’s sucks for the skiers,  but business is still higher than desired.  The demand is just massive.  So many complaints about crowding during a global pandemic.

Lines a quarter mile long.  If you can’t see the end of the lift line when it’s snowing, the obs is technically SN+. We need shitty weather to keep people away and not spread COVID, ha. 

132667364_10222743650835443_450882638511

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Definitely would be impossible if the snow was good... the crowds during a pandemic with terrible snow are still more than impressive.  It’s sucks for the skiers,  but business is still higher than desired.  The demand is just massive.  So many complaints about crowding during a global pandemic.

Lines a quarter mile long.  If you can’t see the end of the lift line when it’s snowing, the obs is technically SN+. We need shitty weather to keep people away and not spread COVID, ha. 

132667364_10222743650835443_450882638511

Bretton Woods has seemed pretty light the days I have been there. Only lines are at the gondola which is always the case with those damn things (I hate them :) ). Having crowds I’m sure feels like a mixed blessing in the current environment. Tough situation. I am teaching young kids to ski this season so I am OK with the limited terrain. Works out OK for me luckily. 

• Like 1