Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

12 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

Exactly what I was thinking...too much of a good thing many times.  Be careful what we wish for. 

12 hours ago, dryslot said:

We don't need an uber block.

I wonder what y’all would’ve said in Feb ‘69....or Dec 2010/first half of Jan 2011. Or March 2001. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I wonder what y’all would’ve said in Feb ‘69....or Dec 2010/first half of Jan 2011. Or March 2001. 

Except for ‘69...I remember the others well.  Your point is well taken Will.  Yes, the blocking can be very exciting/and interesting.  I think my point was Just not Uber/crazy like in feb ‘10, where we all sat on the sidelines, and watched the mid Atlantic(and even southern mid Atlantic) play the super bowl.   

But bring it, and we’ll roll the dice again with a look like that. We take. 

14 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Except for ‘69...I remember the others well.  Your point is well taken Will.  Yes, the blocking can be very exciting/and interesting.  I think my point was Just not Uber/crazy like in feb ‘10, where we all sat on the sidelines, and watched the mid Atlantic(and even southern mid Atlantic) play the super bowl.   

But bring it, and we’ll roll the dice again with a look like that. We take. 

All the blocks I listed were uber/crazy blocks. 

Point is that people should not expect the same outcomes. The 2010 PTSD in here is fascinating. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

And I thnk we did well overall, just got porked on a couple storms. Ill take my chances with that again.

I’d roll the dice again on Feb 2010. I agree we don’t need something that extreme, but it often works out for us. 

The one worry I potentially would have is the block won’t set up far enough north. If it sets up a bit south and southwest of Greenland it can actually be a detriment. 

We want it up into Greenland and Davis Strait. 

The pacific is progged to be kind of meh in early January so a good NAO block is not a bad thing. 

18 minutes ago, Mothman said:

NYE maybe or is that out the window now ? 

Too early to rule out a big winter impact from 1/1 threat, but it’s trending the wrong direction right now. Monster western trough carves out and bides its time while the confluence lifts out. Then it decides to lift northeast perfectly timed for a big cutter. 

Its possible all that timing will not work out as we get closer and perhaps it ends up more wintry but I’m not overly optimistic at the moment. 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I’d roll the dice again on Feb 2010. I agree we don’t need something that extreme, but it often works out for us. 

The one worry I potentially would have is the block won’t set up far enough north. If it sets up a bit south and southwest of Greenland it can actually be a detriment. 

We want it up into Greenland and Davis Strait. 

The pacific is progged to be kind of meh in early January so a good NAO block is not a bad thing. 

image.thumb.png.f340f2e5bdf26e2cb3532779b5061d10.png

Think this would be example of too far south.

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It’s not like we going to big nye parties so as long as there are no power disruptions...ice it over before the snow comes back in Jan.

It’s been trending a bit colder last few ensemble runs , the block is firmly in place then, and there’s a nice HP. I’d bet the trends continue 

Just now, EastonSN+ said:

image.thumb.png.f340f2e5bdf26e2cb3532779b5061d10.png

Think this would be example of too far south.

That’s not bad. Good anomalies in the Davis Strait there. If we’re nitpicking, I’d want it slightly more north, but I was more talking about if the blocking was most pronounced in the North Atlantic and closer toward New foundland. 

Thats also a D16 smoothed ensemble mean so you don’t actually see a “block” there. It just kind of hints at where it might be. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Actually...could be more than 2 especially for east zones where weenie flakes hang on for dear life.

I think there has been a few in MA, A buddy of mine lived in Wrentham back in the early 2000’s and I remember him having at least 2 then in the 30+ range.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

I was still in the early days of discovering that there was an internet-based community of weather geeks in 2011 (a wonderful find), and did not yet have the sophistication to separate the knowledgeable from the clowns. Hence, I recall Henry Margusity harping on about a -NAO (whatever that was) and putting on his "big-dog" hat. Same for Bastardi, who instead worked in weird wrestling motifs into his always-cold-and-snowy forecasts. The sting of Boxing Day and the brutal torch that followed quickly passing into elation with the novelty of a Norlun trough and then outright orgasmic delight with the monster on January 12th. I remember being baffled trying to follow along on Eastern as people threw out the latest runs of models with weird names like the DGEX, JMA, NOGAPS and CRAS, as well a curious sobriquets like "drunk Uncle" etc. But eventually I grasped the lingua franca and it's been a fun ride since.

10 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Actually...could be more than 2 especially for east zones where weenie flakes hang on for dear life.

30” is tough for any given one spot. For ORH, there’s 3 such storms on record. If you want to count 1888, that makes 4 (they had 32” in that storm but the official records didn’t begin until 1892 there). 

BOS has zero 30” storms on record. Though they have come close on a number of them. Parts of SE MA have had several (1978, 2005, 2015).

Then you have NE MA where some spots have had a few...Feb ‘69, Dec ‘03 (in a narrow swath), Jan 2015 a little further west toward northern 495 belt. But you’d be hard pressed to find a single point that has more than 3 I’d imagine. 

Now, there’s definitely no shortage of 20”+ storms in eastern areas. Most places have double digit storms in the 20”+ range. 

• Like 1