• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

the differences in the GFS' handling of the N/stream ... in terms of timing, placement and amplitude, comparing the 00z 06z and 12z operational cycles are elaborately coherent.  It's not a situation where these cycles are showing nuanced changes that make determinism difficult - they literally don't look like the same play book entirely up over the NW Territories of NW Canadian shield.  That part of this PNA amplification is proving quite a problem with rather large stochastic/continuity changes  - 

to make matters even more obfuscating ... the differences show no clear trend progression - like, 00z big, 06z a little less... the 12z lesser still.. 00z big, 06z nill, 12 half way back. 

And the GGEM...  ?  I mean wtf -  ... It has a defined system on both the 00z and 12z runs, but they are coming from entirely different large scale mechanism... 00z was a weak southern stream phase initiation and a complete N/stream subsume thing... but this run is pure southern stream vortex lazily wobbling up toward Albany ...  

I don't know... we may not parlay well through any of this?  We might not  - .. but, I'm still intrigued and willing to stick it out when the AO/NAO tandem is falling, and the PNA is rising to + 2 SD...  Pattern change and indices mode flips typically are problems for guidance -

15 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

the differences in the GFS' handling of the N/stream ... in terms of timing, placement and amplitude, comparing the 00z 06z and 12z operational cycles are elaborately coherent.  It's not a situation where these cycles are showing nuanced changes that make determinism difficult - they literally don't look like the same play book entirely up over the NW Territories of NW Canadian shield.  That part of this PNA amplification is proving quite a problem with rather large stochastic/continuity changes  - 

to make matters even more obfuscating ... the differences show no clear trend progression - like, 00z big, 06z a little less... the 12z lesser still.. 00z big, 06z nill, 12 half way back. 

And the GGEM...  ?  I mean wtf -  ... It has a defined system on both the 00z and 12z runs, but they are coming from entirely different large scale mechanism... 00z was a weak southern stream phase initiation and a complete N/stream subsume thing... but this run is pure southern stream vortex lazily wobbling up toward Albany ...  

I don't know... we may not parlay well through any of this?  We might not  - .. but, I'm still intrigued and willing to stick it out when the AO/NAO tandem is falling, and the PNA is rising to + 2 SD...  Pattern change and indices mode flips typically are problems for guidance -

That upcoming event is certainly much more uncertain than this current POS thing over the region. The models had this one locked-in for seemingly weeks.

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This is a very reasonable post. I would just say that there are no signs of a return of the pig this month, so maybe tone done the use of the word "awful"...at least through New Years..

Kevin's problem is he thinks mets talking about a more favorable pattern = "deep winter pattern".....he made that up himself. Sure, if you are looking for Stowe, VT weather with currier and ives eveyr other day plus 2 or 3 big storms with no pack loss in December, I would "agree" that we should be concerned that we will not get that. This isn't an epic setup, but it's far from the December 1999/2006/2011/2015 disaster type pig patterns.

Best way to get deep winter with epic cold and no pack loss is to move to Caribou, ME. Down in southern New England, a decent December pattern still means you will risk some mild interludes or a cutter, but you have plenty of chances for snow events mixed in. You hope you roll 7s and not snake eyes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Kevin's problem is he thinks mets talking about a more favorable pattern = "deep winter pattern".....he made that up himself. Sure, if you are looking for Stowe, VT weather with currier and ives eveyr other day plus 2 or 3 big storms with no pack loss in December, I would "agree" that we should be concerned that we will not get that. This isn't an epic setup, but it's far from the December 1999/2006/2011/2015 disaster type pig patterns.

Best way to get deep winter with epic cold and no pack loss is to move to Caribou, ME. Down in southern New England, a decent December pattern still means you will risk some mild interludes or a cutter, but you have plenty of chances for snow events mixed in. You hope you roll 7s and not snake eyes.

But but but 1000" elevation. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

He makes up his own narrative...and then applies it to the current situation.  

10 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

That upcoming event is certainly much more uncertain than this current POS thing over the region. The models had this one locked-in for seemingly weeks.

Sure, in the sense that it would be a mild system for NE.....but there were also some changes with that. It trended from an epic early season blizzard in the ORV to a middling event, as many of us suspected that it would.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Sure, in the sense that it would be a mild system for NE.....but there were also some changes with that. It trended from an epic early season blizzard in the ORV to a middling event, as many of us suspected that it would.

That's true, I was only watching the model progs for MBY but the epic blizzard for the Ohio Valley did fizzle.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

And part of the PV is over nrn Hudson Bay. 

Yeah that was a big shift from prior ensembles runs...directly attirubted to the height rises in the AK/Yukon region....pushing a pretty stout PV south into Hudson. We'll have to see if other guidance goes that direction.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah that was a big shift from prior ensembles runs...directly attirubted to the height rises in the AK/Yukon region....pushing a pretty stout PV south into Hudson. We'll have to see if other guidance goes that direction.

Has the EURO EPS been much different from the GEFS in the arctic? I know the ridge out west hasn't been as stout....my packages will kick in tomorrow, so I should be more on top of things.

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Has the EURO EPS been much different from the GEFS in the arctic? I know the ridge out west hasn't been as stout....my packages will kick in tomorrow, so I should be more on top of things.

That's been the main difference....EPS almost want to try and build the heights higher further west in the D11-13 timeframe....while GEFS is confining the ridge more to the PNA region (and eastern EPO region)....the "broader" look on the EPS is still fine, but it's not as cold for the east.

GEFS at 12z really went higher with the heights out west than it did even before....so it's definitely seeing something. We'll see if the EPS trend that direction. I think the GEFS look is more prone to sneaking in a coastal storm than the EPS look.

• Like 1