• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

The teleconnections make a significant flip next week, and looks like tomorrow’s cutter will prove to be key in developing the blocking for next weekend’s event.

odd to see the euro so warm given UL trough over Eastern conus in early December...at least it’s seeing the significant blocking much more than the GFS. 

Almost as though you need to overlay the blocking of the 12z euro with the temps of the 12z GFS to get a good idea of what’s coming next weekend...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I see this as a successive transition. IOW, we aren't done with cutters or messy events. I just think it will take awhile. It finally looks like the second week and beyond are more favorable, but I hope people don't expect something on 12/8, or the start of the second week, especially SNE. 

I fully expect some bad tracks even during good stretches this season.

Just now, jbenedet said:

The teleconnections make a significant flip next week, and looks like tomorrow’s cutter will prove to be key in developing the blocking for next weekend’s event.

odd to see the euro so warm given UL trough over Eastern conus one early December...at least it’s seeing the significant blocking much more than the GFS. 

Almost as though you need to overlay the blocking of the 12z euro and the temps of the 12z GFS to get a good idea of what’s coming next weekend...

So your saying you think there will be significant model changes coming as the modeling figures out the blocking and trough orientation? 

6 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

odd to see the euro so warm given UL trough over Eastern conus in early December...at least it’s seeing the significant blocking much more than the GFS. 

Maybe global warming?  I think another met was opining about how warm it was despite low heights last night.

<duck and run>

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, that is a given. Next weekend has alway been WMH.

Yep. I’d watch next weekend if I was in a northern greens hamlet or some other typical upslope place that can do well on a CCB changeover with W or NW winds.... but down here we’ll need to hit triple 7s like twice in a row to get something significant out of it in terms of snow. 

Still some disagreement on exactly how the pattern shakes out after 12/5. GEFS and GGEM ensembles are still more amped out west, though they’ve converged some since last week. 

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Don't hold your breath.

Don’t take out of context. I’m not calling for a SECS. Is what I said statistically invalid? Even if odds are 5% at the moment, that’s much higher than during the window I mentioned. Only point I’m making. Most of the big players are on the field...at least there’s that...

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Maybe global warming?  I think another met was opining about how warm it was despite low heights last night.

<duck and run>

Nice prod. I think western Canada is warm due to Flow over Eastern pacific. But -NAO/-AO means we should be able to tap cold from Arctic to our north and rely less on CP from the west/north west which is skunked from the pacific....

5 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Don’t take out of context. I’m not calling for a SECS. Is what I said statistically invalid? Even if odds are 5% at the moment, that’s much higher than during the window I mentioned. Only point I’m making. Most of the big players are on the field...at least there’s that...

You can make that assumption by looking at h5 on the euro.

imageproxy.png

5fc3ffd979545.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jbenedet said:

A big storm here will likely be a disturbance that doesn’t blow up until offshore. The Miller A look initially being advertised on guidance unlikely in my view. I think a very dynamic Miller B is most likely...

I think this is valid for the season in general.