Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Western Pa / Pittsburgh area Winter Discussion ❄️☃️

north pgh

42 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

I’m not sure places north and west did that great, even into western  Ohio and New York State. Seems like a lot of low ratios and quick moving. I didn’t really look until now, but wanted to see what we missed out on. 

From reading the other threads, you had to be close to Indiana for decent amounts. Most of the Ohio and WNY posters were disappointed.

36 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

This has overperformer written all over it. No science  behind my prediction but I'm just feeling like 7 or 8. As always dont listen to me though I'm just a dumbass weenie. 

The “science” is the southeast bias in the models. Let’s watch them come to us over the next 24 hours 

(Of course when we need it...lol)

52 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

The “science” is the southeast bias in the models. Let’s watch them come to us over the next 24 hours 

(Of course when we need it...lol)

Maybe I’m just pessimistic after this last storm but this one is still trending the wrong way. Everything is SE again on all 12z guidance vs the previous cycle. Weaker storm, stronger confluence, more progressive trough (basically everything we needed to save the last storm). Until any of those things reverse or at least stop there’s no reason to feel it’s going to come back. That’s what I kept looking for on this last storm and it kept going the wrong way all the way to game time. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Maybe I’m just pessimistic after this last storm but this one is still trending the wrong way. Everything is SE again on all 12z guidance vs the previous cycle. Weaker storm, stronger confluence, more progressive trough (basically everything we needed to save the last storm). Until any of those things reverse or at least stop there’s no reason to feel it’s going to come back. That’s what I kept looking for on this last storm and it kept going the wrong way all the way to game time. 

I'm with you on this. Going back to the end of last week this was modeled as a big QPF producer that some models had cutting west of us into Ohio. The overrunning from before the main coastal low actually gets going has consistently been modeled south of us and once the coastal does get going it looks like a weak piece of junk to me lol. The previous storm kept cutting more and more west with each run and this one has been going continuously weaker and south with each run. 

1 hour ago, Rd9108 said:

Boy I thought I was negative. It's only snow bro. 

It feels different when a storm busts in December and you know there’ll be a bunch more chances vs. when two storms in a row bust in late February ahead of a well-advertised pattern flip, followed by, well, actual spring and the next chance could be ten months from now.

Ah well, at least in spring I can be disappointed when we get put in an enhanced risk by the SPC and don’t see a drop of rain.

25 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

It feels different when a storm busts in December and you know there’ll be a bunch more chances vs. when two storms in a row bust in late February ahead of a well-advertised pattern flip, followed by, well, actual spring and the next chance could be ten months from now.

Ah well, at least in spring I can be disappointed when we get put in an enhanced risk by the SPC and don’t see a drop of rain.

We've had 51" of snow.  A great December and decent January and a nice February.  There should be no huge disappointment from one miss.  Sure we wanted snow, of course we all did, but we've won many of these battles this year.

Idk I enjoy the 8-12 type storm I'll never complain. However; I originally got interested in tracking weather right after 2010. I know it is not our normal storm but until I get to successfully track a 2 foot storm I will not be satisfied. It may take 10 more years and I get that. Tracking these 4-6 storms are enjoyable but there is a different feeling whenever you are tracking something historic. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rd9108 said:

Idk I enjoy the 8-12 type storm I'll never complain. However; I originally got interested in tracking weather right after 2010. I know it is not our normal storm but until I get to successfully track a 2 foot storm I will not be satisfied. It may take 10 more years and I get that. Tracking these 4-6 storms are enjoyable but there is a different feeling whenever you are tracking something historic. 

Agree with this. I wasnt here for the historic 2010 storm. I was in Youngstown still. While we picked up about a foot, you guys know how good it feels to be so close to something epic. Even picking up a foot stung in that situation.

4 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

I would love to see something similar to 2010 again since I was too young to really remember much about Mar 1993 and Jan 1994. Obviously I love snow and enjoy the little/moderate events as well but the true big ones are what make the hobby so fun. 

2 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

Agree with this. I wasnt here for the historic 2010 storm. I was in Youngstown still. While we picked up about a foot, you guys know how good it feels to be so close to something epic. Even picking up a foot stung in that situation.

That was me in Dec ‘92 and Jan 96. But I’ve learned that I’ll deal with that if I get a foot. That’s kind of my threshold 

Now 1.16 was a kick in the nuts. Got 5” while 40 miles away got 20”

Thankful to have been on the good side of that in 03 and 2010

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dj3 said:

I would love to see something similar to 2010 again since I was too young to really remember much about Mar 1993 and Jan 1994. Obviously I love snow and enjoy the little/moderate events as well but the true big ones are what make the hobby so fun. 

Likewise. I didn’t live here in 2010, unfortunately. I was old enough in March 1993 to know it was historic, but 8 year old me certainly wasn’t tracking the storm. So I have yet to track even a 12” snow event in Pittsburgh, unless I’m forgetting one.