• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Western Pa / Pittsburgh area Winter Discussion ❄️☃️

north pgh

Skating rink right now, with a lot of precip to go. At least it’s pretty fast moving.

We haven’t had a true ice storm in awhile - usually pretty transient on the way to rain. But this looks like it could get rough.

I used to like them as a kid because they “felt” like a snowstorm. You got your NWS headlines and off school. 

SOme perspective here....a lot of places around the country are in for a lot of hurt from this storm. The deep south, MA, and pacific northwest were all pretty paralyzed by it so I guess we got off a bit easy at least. TX, LA, OK, AR...they are all looking at a ton of power outages and near 0 temperatures. I am still amazed that Houston is going to hit the single digits tonight.

Ths was an epic artic outbreak, one for the record books, just not for us. It is going to be -5 in little rock tonight. -12 in Oklahoma City. 2 in dallas. 

By any measure, this is still historic and amazing to watch. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KPITSnow said:

SOme perspective here....a lot of places around the country are in for a lot of hurt from this storm. The deep south, MA, and pacific northwest were all pretty paralyzed by it so I guess we got off a bit easy at least. TX, LA, OK, AR...they are all looking at a ton of power outages and near 0 temperatures. I am still amazed that Houston is going to hit the single digits tonight.

Ths was an epic artic outbreak, one for the record books, just not for us. It is going to be -5 in little rock tonight. -12 in Oklahoma City. 2 in dallas. 

Maybe next year is ours for a historic outbreak like that.

2 hours ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Seeing reports of freezing rain as far NW as beaver county already on the NWS Facebook page. Read the comments at your own risk though, certainly some gems in there that will make you further lose faith in humanity... :lol:

It gets wicked on there when a forecast busts. But even if the original forecast verified and we got 9” of snow, you’d still have people on there thinking they’re clever and witty by making comments about “global warming,” as if a snowstorm negates its existence.

I'm getting the impression the HRRR is really overdoing the warm air intrusion at the surface. Per the 0z we should be changing to plain rain right now but KPIT is still sitting at 29 or 30 degrees.

I’m at 31.3°. Slow steady climb over the last few hours. Maybe a little delayed, but it’s there. Sleet all the way up to meadville

12 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

I'm getting the impression the HRRR is really overdoing the warm air intrusion at the surface. Per the 0z we should be changing to plain rain right now but KPIT is still sitting at 29 or 30 degrees.

Now 31 as of 8:51 pm. Plain rain should be here in an hour or so.

KMGW is at 37 at this hour. They will hit 40 down there and I’m still not ruling out that we will too.

2 hours ago, KPITSnow said:

Yeah, I've been reading obs threads and seeing video / pictures posted. Single digits, thunder snow, huge drifts / sleet bombs etc. Not going to lie, feeling jealous. Certainly wouldn't mind feeling some of that "hurt" especially looking out and seeing our 32.1degree downpour.

8 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Yeah, I've been reading obs threads and seeing video / pictures posted. Single digits, thunder snow, huge drifts / sleet bombs etc. Not going to lie, feeling jealous. Certainly wouldn't mind feeling some of that "hurt" especially looking out and seeing our 32.1degree downpour.

Yep ill take my chances with the Polar Vortex. 

27 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

pmfhAOz.png

Here we go again. But on the plus side, we stayed in the low-mid 30s so our snowpack survived the night.

Edit: I guess I mean KPIT. I see KAGC got up to 38.

...and then there’s the NAM, which still wants to give us zr while the low is over southern Georgia to South Carolina.