Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Western Pa / Pittsburgh area Winter Discussion ❄️☃️

north pgh

1 hour ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Yep, I remember multiple times as a kid watching 6pm news for weather ( I used to time them so I could catch all 3 stations, 2,4,11) with a storm projected to be all snow only to hear the pinging on my bedroom window and that feeling knowing warm air was winning. I didn't understand any of the causes then,  probably why I was so interested to learn more about the science as I got older.

I was this kid too. Go to bed with them predicting 6-8 inches of snow, thinking school would be closed and then waking up to rain and disappointment.

This is superstitious as hell, but I told my other half that as soon as the winter storm watch was issued, it was going to fall apart. We only seem to do well when nobody is looking so to speak. We seem to do so much better with quick hit and run systems than anything with a wind up. 

Just now, KPITSnow said:

My god you’re worse than me. What was your former name on here?

No former name on here, actually. Just thinking about warning criteria, and usually when 2” of snow and 0.1-0.2” of ice are expected, an advisory is issued. Does already having issued a warning change that thought process?

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, north pgh said:

Maybe tomorrow’s miss will be Thursday’s hit.

Why do we do this to ourselves? Lol. It is insane that you can't even trust a model to be even somewhat accurate within 48 hours of an event. Yesterday's 12z runs had us looking at 6 to 10 on many models. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, southpark said:

Why do we do this to ourselves? Lol. It is insane that you can't even trust a model to be even somewhat accurate within 48 hours of an event. Yesterday's 12z runs had us looking at 6 to 10 on many models. 

Should have known as soon we see serious NW adjustments. Once it starts it usually doesn't stop. Luckily we've done well this year or this would have been a morale destroyer. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Well they were saying up to .2” of ice early, if we trend less snow, I imagine more ice is on the table.  Why can’t we just leave it as is?

Instead, they’ve left the 3-6” intact and still 0.1-0.2 of ice, despite many model runs to the contrary between the initial warning and the recent update.

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Instead, they’ve left the 3-6” intact and still 0.1-0.2 of ice, despite many model runs to the contrary between the initial warning and the recent update.

I don’t know what to tell you?

My phone’s weather app, which I think runs off of TWC, keeps it all snow tomorrow on the hourly.

37 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

I don’t know what to tell you?

My phone’s weather app, which I think runs off of TWC, keeps it all snow tomorrow on the hourly.

I don’t know where any weather app or otherwise is getting the idea that this will be all snow anywhere in Allegheny County. With that being said, this is not met bashing in the slightest. Many of us have performance reviews in our jobs, and it’s certainly the case that in a government-run bureaucracy like NOAA, there would have to be some level of performance accountability when it comes to the NWS. Not that they can’t get a forecast wrong, as surely it’s obvious that there is a lot more uncertainty in what they do for a living than what most of the rest of us do. But maybe one of the performance indicators is “how many times did X forecast office issue a warning and have to downgrade it to an advisory (or vice versa)?” If you can keep it a warning, even if it’s marginal, then it keeps your office from getting dinged when it gets audited by the higher ups, who don’t necessarily care that there is way more forecast uncertainty in a place like Pittsburgh than there is in, say, Phoenix. After all, a NWS forecast office did once get reprimanded for something as arbitrary as correcting erroneous information provided by a political figure on the track and impact of a hurricane.

• Weenie 1

At least we know 200 mile NW jogs are possible in 24 hours for future reference (when needed) :blink:

This is nuts. Acodcotally you sometimes see a large late shift back SE to buck the trend but this just didn’t quit.

I’m curious to see how it plays out. Maybe we can get a nice front batch out of this, and more sleet to hold on to snowpack. 

36 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

And what if 00z / 12z shifts East tomorrow? I expect they will probably tweak the forecast after 00z tonight but the threat for combination of snow sleet and freezing rain probably still merits a warning. NWS can’t flip flop every 6 hours when a weenie has a meltdown.

My forecast is for 3-6 and .1-.2 ZR, which imho can still probably verify albeit in the low end of the range.

• Like 1