Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Western Pa / Pittsburgh area Winter Discussion ❄️☃️

north pgh

3 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

You know how sometimes the NAM reels us in when we are on the western fringe? This is that run for Illinois. I doubt other guidance follows.

Even with the GFS already showing it?

Edit: I suppose the GFS still implies 7 inches of snow, so it’s not necessarily “showing it.”

4 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

You know how sometimes the NAM reels us in when we are on the western fringe? This is that run for Illinois. I doubt other guidance follows.

And when it’s right or “on to something” outside 36 hours, it’s usually with rapidly deepening systems 

So, just to be clear, you're thinking it's just a one off run?

9 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

And when it’s right or “on to something” outside 36 hours, it’s usually with rapidly deepening systems 

100%. Usually its way too far NW and we get suckered in to thinking we are going to get crushed by a coastal. Doesn't mean its not right this time. 

4 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

100%. Usually its way too far NW and we get suckered in to thinking we are going to get crushed by a coastal. Doesn't mean its not right this time. 

This. I would 100% believe this is just a one off if the 18z GFS didn’t show the exact same trend. Whether or not you can dismiss it as “it’s just the 18z” depends on who you ask, it seems. Of course, we will have an answer to that in an hour or so.

Seems the NAM does well when it deals with convection. 2016 every model except the NAM had that storm further east. The NAM ended up being correct with the storm hugging the coast a lot more. I believe I don't remember the year a big blizzard was supposed to hit NYC. The NAM had a run where it said no way and the storm whiffed big time. People were pissed that they shut down the city but we are talking about 50 miles being the difference between 2 ft and 4 inches. There's a reason why Mets don't really use the NAM as much as the Euro and GFS. 

54 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

Yeah this is my thought too, nobody should jump off the ledge over the NAM the same way you shouldn't be dropping the "It's Happening Meme" when it bullseye's you.

Now if other 00z guidance follows then backs it up at 12z tomorrow that's when I'll start to be concerned. Need to see at least 2-3 runs to establish a trend vs a wobble one way or the other.

• Like 1

Interestingly, I've been following the GFSv16 maps most of the winter. Generally, it's been a real stick in the mud all season--even more than the Euro most of the time. The current run coming in right now actually trends better than it has all day. It went from 3.5" for AGC to now 8"... But just barely. It just seems like the cutoff is steep and the models really don't know where that gradient will set up shop. So in short, same old sad story. What do the people in the other forums for locations that get pummeled with snow fret about if it's not the WTOD or rain/snow/mix line? Lol

Just now, SteelCity87 said:

Good news is that it won't take much of a trend back the other way to be in a high end warning scenario? Am'rite? 

This too. Is what we are seeing a trend or is it the models wobbling back and forth? I think tomorrow's 12z models will be the do or die time. 

8 minutes ago, OutnOakmont said:

Interestingly, I've been following the GFSv16 maps most of the winter. Generally, it's been a real stick in the mud all season--even more than the Euro most of the time. The current run coming in right now actually trends better than it has all day. It went from 3.5" for AGC to now 8"... But just barely. It just seems like the cutoff is steep and the models really don't know where that gradient will set up shop. So in short, same old sad story. What do the people in the other forums for locations that get pummeled with snow fret about if it's not the WTOD or rain/snow/mix line? Lol

They don’t fret about it. I lived in a location where the only two ptypes that regularly occurred were rain and snow, and mostly snow at that, and it was fantastic. Got to experience a record snow season while I was there, and it shattered the previous record by over two feet. But Pittsburgh is home and I wouldn’t change that.