• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Western Pa / Pittsburgh area Winter Discussion ❄️☃️

north pgh

I'll take it.  Ron Smiley is pretty good.  His totals are fairly accurate.

He’s generally fairly conservative too. I’ve had a few chances to talk with him. Good guy who loves the weather and knows his stuff. I’ll take this map and hope we over perform and get 12+ here in the south hills.

• Like 1

Just now, MikeB_01 said:

He’s generally fairly conservative too. I’ve had a few chances to talk with him. Good guy who loves the weather and knows his stuff. I’ll take this map and hope we over perform and get 12+ here in the south hills.

And not conservative for the sake of being conservative, there is thought and you can see he really takes all models into account.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

I'll take it.  Ron Smiley is pretty good.  His totals are fairly accurate.

Smiley hit the nail on the head with, yes, the infamous 2019 storm yet again. (Image below is for the 2019 storm about 48 hours out). I think he lowered a little further in the mix zone the next day.

9D83EAA8-F8F7-4ADF-9FA2-624011FEDCA1.jpeg

1 hour ago, TimB84 said:

Smiley hit the nail on the head with, yes, the infamous 2019 storm yet again. (Image below is for the 2019 storm about 48 hours out). I think he lowered a little further in the mix zone the next day.

9D83EAA8-F8F7-4ADF-9FA2-624011FEDCA1.jpeg

Okay, yes that was a bad storm, and a bad miss, in a bad season.  This season has been going our way.  Let's stay positive.  If it misses us, so be it, we still have gotten 50" so far this season.

51 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Okay, yes that was a bad storm, and a bad miss, in a bad season.  This season has been going our way.  Let's stay positive.  If it misses us, so be it, we still have gotten 50" so far this season.

Oh I agree. I wasn’t suggesting that this storm will be similar to that one, I was saying Ron Smiley was one of the few that was right on that one and expressing optimism that he’ll be right on this one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blackngoldrules said:
6 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:
The NAM looks weird before it had the low going to the coast now its showing up ramming up into our area and dry slotting us. Pretty big change. 

Yeah, that is a pretty significant change in one run this close. Hopefully the NAM isn't on to something. GFS and Euro will be interesting.

18z GFS, (if you believe in its validity), has already picked up this trend.

Just now, Ahoff said:

Sorry, kind of misread, lol.

I’m still not suggesting this storm will be anything like that one (for one, I don’t think there’s much if any chance of plain rain, let alone a prolonged period of it, with this one), but I’m starting to think we end up with similar snow totals to that storm.