Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Western Pa / Pittsburgh area Winter Discussion ❄️☃️

north pgh

15 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

0z Euro looked really good for Thursday, all snow.

And the 6z Euro looked great for Monday-Tuesday.  We’re just north of the ice line.  Improvement there.

0z Euro doesn’t bring us a lot of snow for Thursday but I’ll take even the 4” or so that it gives us over the GFS’s rain and 40+. Mon/Tues looks like a Youngstown special but again, 4-8” would be fine.

Also, age old theme to gripe about here, but why would NWS not put out some type of advisory, whether WWA or Storm Watch.  They're calling for 6-8" right now, but the possibility isn't a lot of snow or little snow, it's a lot of snow, or snow and ice.  Either one should get an advisory.  I'm sure we'll have one but it'll probably go up tomorrow afternoon, smh.

1 hour ago, Ahoff said:

Also, age old theme to gripe about here, but why would NWS not put out some type of advisory, whether WWA or Storm Watch.  They're calling for 6-8" right now, but the possibility isn't a lot of snow or little snow, it's a lot of snow, or snow and ice.  Either one should get an advisory.  I'm sure we'll have one but it'll probably go up tomorrow afternoon, smh.

I have my theories here, the biggest one being that it seems they’ve gotten a lot more conservative with issuing winter storm watches since the bust of January 2019. I don’t know if getting raked over the coals on social media made them skittish or what.

On another note, that late week storm deepens impressively on the GFS as it moves northward, but the track continues to shift west (through Indiana now) and I don’t think this is a snow event for us. That said, it’s depicting significant ice before the warm air reaches the surface.

(But it’s back onto the idea of a significant pattern flip toward the end of the month. 64, anybody?)

1 hour ago, Ahoff said:

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought watches and warnings are only issued 24h in advance.  I thought past that it’s Hazardous weather outlook.

edit:  looks like it’s max 48 hours. So we are still just getting into that range.   

10 minutes ago, Ecanem said:

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought watches and warnings are only issued 24h in advance.  I thought past that it’s Hazardous weather outlook.

edit:  looks like it’s max 48 hours. So we are still just getting into that range.   

I would anticipate that from the afternoon shift if it’s going to happen.

1 hour ago, TimB84 said:

I have my theories here, the biggest one being that it seems they’ve gotten a lot more conservative with issuing winter storm watches since the bust of January 2019. I don’t know if getting raked over the coals on social media made them skittish or what.

On another note, that late week storm deepens impressively on the GFS as it moves northward, but the track continues to shift west (through Indiana now) and I don’t think this is a snow event for us. That said, it’s depicting significant ice before the warm air reaches the surface.

(But it’s back onto the idea of a significant pattern flip toward the end of the month. 64, anybody?)

They were their own worst enemy with that event. All of us knew the night before it was likely going to Rain and they didn’t change.

2 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

They were their own worst enemy with that event. All of us knew the night before it was likely going to Rain and they didn’t change.

I’m not saying them getting raked over the coals for their forecast was unjustified, but I’ll bet the people raking them over the coals didn’t understand what was happening as well as we did. Obviously I wasn’t on this forum then, but I did go back and read that part of the thread and it brought back painful memories.

25 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

I’m not saying them getting raked over the coals for their forecast was unjustified, but I’ll bet the people raking them over the coals didn’t understand what was happening as well as we did. Obviously I wasn’t on this forum then, but I did go back and read that part of the thread and it brought back painful memories.

Oh no, I think most met bashing is stupid and uninformed. That said I think that kpit and done I’d the locals often come off as lazy. Kpit’s discussions are severely lacking when compare to neighboring offices. Also, the locals generally do a poor job articulating that a big event is coming. Jeff v in particular really sucks with his constant “snow showers” forecasts.

5 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Oh no, I think most met bashing is stupid and uninformed. That said I think that kpit and done I’d the locals often come off as lazy. Kpit’s discussions are severely lacking when compare to neighboring offices. Also, the locals generally do a poor job articulating that a big event is coming. Jeff v in particular really sucks with his constant “snow showers” forecasts.

Kpit does seem to mail it in when it comes to some of its forecast discussions. I’ve lived in two other CWA’s and both have better forecast discussions than most of PIT’s.

1 hour ago, Ecanem said:

I don't know but Central Ohio has had one since yesterday.