Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Western Pa / Pittsburgh area Winter Discussion ❄️☃️

north pgh

1 hour ago, Mailman said:

GFS did come a little east.

Monday/Tuesday - Basically has 6-10” in six hours just north of the city.  I mean a 80 mile wide 150 mile long swath of those rates. Obviously way too early to be looking at that 

Still makes up west of us before a late redevelopment. So not great, but close to something big. 

9 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Accidents everywhere in the city. It is very slick out. Already had to deal with somebody who slid into a telephone pole. I wouldn't be venturing out if you don't have to. 

Just had to run a quick errand, and the roads are already snow packed. 
Definitely a quick starter tonight, may have caught folks off guard. 

1 hour ago, Ahoff said:

I’m not worried as much about that.  I just don’t want rain if they get 10” of snow.  It’s just be weird.

Wouldn’t say I’m worried about that, it just speaks to the magnitude of the cold air. Subzero in Dallas has only happened four times in recorded history.

20 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Wouldn’t say I’m worried about that, it just speaks to the magnitude of the cold air. Subzero in Dallas has only happened four times in recorded history.

LaNina typically favors cold out west / central US due to tropical forcing that favors SE Ridge. The models want to push it East but as we get closer the effects of the ridge are better resolved. By all rights a Nina Feb is usually warm, but we have the extreme blocking and piece of the PV squishing the ridge keeping us in the game. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Looks like the radar is drying up already.

Yea I noticed that too. Not too far off from what the model showed. Need to start watching this area now for some redevelopment. The HRRR has been hitting on some light snow developing in this area that kept the snow falling though the night.

Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 9.45.50 PM.png

Looks like this one is wrapping up. One band to the north that should pivot South overnight but I think the bulk of our accumulating snow is about done for the city and north.

Saturday keeps trending East with one low and the northern energy looks to barely hit us. Hopefully another 1-2 type deal at least but will have to see how it look once in the short range.

8 hours ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Yeah another jump SE, I still think a miss in that direction is more of a threat than rain from this one, but still 5 days out so alot yet to be resolved. Don't forget just a few days ago the Saturday / Sunday storm was cutting west too.

The later week storm seems to be trending west and could destroy our snowpack no matter how much snow we get from the earlier system, especially if the Euro verifies.

29 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

The later week storm seems to be trending west and could destroy our snowpack no matter how much snow we get from the earlier system, especially if the Euro verifies.

Can't begin to worry about rain with that storm before we get through these multiple other threats.  As other have said some of these systems have gone west and trend back east.  May just be the trend this year, so we can't take late week storms next week with any seriousness right now.  Just a very active pattern.