Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Western Pa / Pittsburgh area Winter Discussion ❄️☃️

north pgh

23 minutes ago, KeefRichards said:

Feel sorry for those that still have to commute on days like today. The whole COVID work from home model in my case has really allowed me to enjoy this winter like no other. Love snow, but hate commuting to work in it. 

I’m legit scared to go out in this. I just starred a new job a few months ago and feel stuck that I need to go.

4 minutes ago, OutnOakmont said:

Just took my dogs out and measured about 5.25"!!! It's superstitious as hell, but it's like we do the best when the storms get very little attention, very little hype. We need more of these low-key sleeper cell storms haha

Funny how that works! Watch a big storm for 5 days and all the intricacies of what can go wrong. Now a front basically gets held up in the right place, and most of of AGC scoring a quick 6”

1 hour ago, OutnOakmont said:

Just took my dogs out and measured about 5.25"!!! It's superstitious as hell, but it's like we do the best when the storms get very little attention, very little hype. We need more of these low-key sleeper cell storms haha

Yep, I was surprised how much we had when I woke up this morning. I think we must have been under a nice band for quite a while last night. My sister lives more north towards freeport and didn't measure quite as much. 

8 hours ago, Burghblizz said:

Really goes to show you what a huge factor rates are. This came in thumpin 

Those early rates were truly impressive. Slept a lot better knowing based on early indications that we would wake up to the 5” the NWS predicted.

Looking ahead: the GFS warm-sectors us to death with its Sunday storm and the Euro still doesn’t really give us anything there, but its depiction of the Tues-Wed system is looking pretty fun. GFS slides it south of our area but at least carries a decent system somewhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KeefRichards said:

Feel sorry for those that still have to commute on days like today. The whole COVID work from home model in my case has really allowed me to enjoy this winter like no other. Love snow, but hate commuting to work in it. 

I'm in the same boat, really nice to not have to wake up earlier to shovel / clean off the cars and fight with traffic and poor road conditions. Can just sit and look out the window while working for now and do cleanup this afternoon.

28 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Those early rates were truly impressive. Slept a lot better knowing based on early indications that we would wake up to the 5” the NWS predicted.

Looking ahead: the GFS warm-sectors us to death with its Sunday storm and the Euro still doesn’t really give us anything there, but its depiction of the Tues-Wed system is looking pretty fun. GFS slides it south of our area but at least carries a decent system somewhere.

Crazy how far apart those two are on those two storms, GFS seems to be holding strong with the idea of a cutter at 6z while Euro has a weak low out off the coast. 

Nearer term let's see if there are any North adjustment s for tomorrow. I wouldn't mind getting another 1-2 on top of this one. :snowing: