Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Western Pa / Pittsburgh area Winter Discussion ❄️☃️

north pgh

26 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Finally we have a snow pack that may last more than a few days. 

Hopefully Thursday-Friday doesn't eat it all away.  If we keep it through that, then we got it for a while, and hopefully add to it generously.

Anybody worried we miss out on all the threats this upcoming week to ten days, lol.

Just now, Ahoff said:

Euro looks to have screwed us on the 12z for Sunday, and pulls the really cold air away.  Just regular cold now.  Boring.

Was just going to post something about this. GFS still wants to bring the cold and keep it around for a while, but the Eruo is showing 26° warmer tuesday morning than what is showed yesterday at this time.  Strange turn around

Just now, MikeB_01 said:

Was just going to post something about this. GFS still wants to bring the cold and keep it around for a while, but the Eruo is showing 26° warmer tuesday morning than what is showed yesterday at this time.  Strange turn around

And no real snow to boot.  I'd trade the bitter cold if it meant more snow, but now we have less snow and less cold, lol.

6 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

Still sends SLP up the Piedmont to the Delmarva. It closes off too late (compared to yesterday) and doesn’t have an expansive shield. But the players are there. 

Yeah, that's my take away.  Pretty decent low placement, hopefully produces for us, because the cold is definitely there.

6 hours ago, Ahoff said:

Hopefully Thursday-Friday doesn't eat it all away.  If we keep it through that, then we got it for a while, and hopefully add to it generously.

Anybody worried we miss out on all the threats this upcoming week to ten days, lol.

No guarantees a decent pattern delivers and if it does that any one area will get a big storm. I still think the window for a Sunday timeframe storm is still open, models still have A storm, just most slide it South. 

Wouldn't shock me to see it pop back up in the next couple days.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

No guarantees a decent pattern delivers and if it does that any one area will get a big storm. I still think the window for a Sunday timeframe storm is still open, models still have A storm, just most slide it South. 

Wouldn't shock me to see it pop back up in the next couple days.

I hope you are correct.  Definitely still early, and really the storm can only come north.  I’d love to see an overrunning event with this really cold air coming up.  It would be amazing.

10 hours ago, CoraopolisWx said:

A couple lake enhanced snow bands is not out of the question today and tonight. So my 8.7” call still has a chance to verify. Lol

Final official total was 8.5”. Felt like less in most places due to long duration and compacting - but NWS does a good job counting every inch properly. Credit on their forecast too. This was a pain, but 6-8” over 48 hours was a good call.

(if we catch a band later, not sure we can count it :D)

2 hours ago, Ahoff said:

I hope you are correct.  Definitely still early, and really the storm can only come north.  I’d love to see an overrunning event with this really cold air coming up.  It would be amazing.

Yeah I'm not saying any one outcome is more likely but I think we have all seen the models lose a storm in the mid range only to bring it back a few days later. Even if it fails looks like several chances to roll the dice coming up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Burghblizz said:

Final official total was 8.5”. Felt like less in most places due to long duration and compacting - but NWS does a good job counting every inch properly. Credit on their forecast too. This was a pain, but 6-8” over 48 hours was a good call.

(if we catch a band later, not sure we can count it :D)

Ouch.. :lol: Moderate burst just moved though here, probably picked up .2 :lol:

• Like 1

I see a lot of bigger totals locally but I didn't measure anywhere near that much.  Either unlucky or I screwed up.

Looking ahead ... 

The weekend storm might get squashed under the confluence.  It would actually make more sense for a bigger storm to hit while the pattern relaxes prior to reloading.  That would favor something closer to Valentine's Day.  I count at least six events on the GFS over the next two weeks.  Plenty of chances for any one of them to do something interesting.

In pattern terms, this is almost as good as it gets.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, ChalkHillSnowNut said:

Picked up another 5.5” of powdery fresh snow-storm total without compaction now is 16.25”....is there an “official” NWS page I can confirm totals for Farmington or Chalk Hill, PA?

Amazing...

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfAseoytbBJEf_Z1q359eaOp1b7jgBCw-uaIzkF3XPrHa6oXA/viewform