Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Western Pa / Pittsburgh area Winter Discussion ❄️☃️

north pgh

1 hour ago, Mailman said:

What are you guys doing in the South Hills?

JUST IN: A salt truck overturned after colliding with another vehicle in Bethel Park. No one was hurt, but the road is closed temporarily -- and most of the salt spilled out.

I was there around 6 and it was getting real dicey. Tons of cars on the road too. I'm not shocked. 

8 hours ago, Rd9108 said:

We didn't have our chains on at first and our fire engine fishtailed. We also saw somebody spin out downtown. Its pretty dicey out there especially since I have seen any salt trucks really. 

Last night we had salt trucks go up and down at least 6 times.  This morning, maybe once.

7 hours ago, Rd9108 said:

Btw looks like we track again after this one. This time a Miller A. 

The weather on the news thios morning was interesting for Sunday.  They had a high of 22 and a low of 6 (near 0 M0onday morning) with snow, not snow showers.  If we could get heavy snow at those temperatures, wow!

Just got back from trying to get to work. Furious with my employer that put me in that spot. I spun out on McKnight and luckily didn’t hit anything. 

There needs to be accountability. I work in an essential profession but is also one that could deal with being closed for the day...there was no reason to be open or not to push back opening a few hours.

Next Monday morning GFS has the air temperature at -10, high of 4-5!

Euro Monday has air temperature down to -5, only peaking in the low to mid single digits, then down to -12 for Tuesday, with a wind chill of -28 and high of 7!  Wednesday -13 up to 10.

-12 and -13 would be the coldest in many years, probably since the all-time record in 1993.

1 hour ago, Ahoff said:

The weather on the news thios morning was interesting for Sunday.  They had a high of 22 and a low of 6 (near 0 M0onday morning) with snow, not snow showers.  If we could get heavy snow at those temperatures, wow!

NWS talking about the potential already in discussion:

Also of note for late in the weekend is a pattern supportive of yet
another potential nor`easter as the arctic air advances into the
region. There remains variability among the models as to whether a
lead wave can phase with the digging nrn-Plains trough to yield a
favorable set-up for PA snow or whether the cold low-level air will
outpace the upper trough. Stay tuned...

It would be great to get another storm followed by a big Arctic blast. Opportunity for snow on snow for sure if that verified.

5 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

NWS talking about the potential already in discussion:

Also of note for late in the weekend is a pattern supportive of yet
another potential nor`easter as the arctic air advances into the
region. There remains variability among the models as to whether a
lead wave can phase with the digging nrn-Plains trough to yield a
favorable set-up for PA snow or whether the cold low-level air will
outpace the upper trough. Stay tuned...

It would be great to get another storm followed by a big Arctic blast. Opportunity for snow on snow for sure if that verified.

Pretty amazing they are already mentioning it, considering the Pittsburgh NWS rarely likes to mention snow even as it's snowing, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Despite this January being about 2 degrees warmer than normal, it totally lacked extreme temperatures.  The highest we made it to was 49.  The first time since 2003 that January failed to reach 50, and the first time since 2010 that any month failed to reach 50 degrees.  Doesn't look like the foreseeable future will make it there either, so we're going to go a while without feeling that warm.

1 hour ago, KPITSnow said:

Just got back from trying to get to work. Furious with my employer that put me in that spot. I spun out on McKnight and luckily didn’t hit anything. 

There needs to be accountability. I work in an essential profession but is also one that could deal with being closed for the day...there was no reason to be open or not to push back opening a few hours.

Route 28 and the parkway were mostly slush/wet when I went through this morning. I wonder if so many people working from home and a lighter rush hour makes it easier to treat the roads. My niece is 7 and they had a remote learning day today due to the snow. Kind of interesting to think maybe true snow days for school are no more?

5 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Is this why we don't trust Miller bs for our area?:huh:

I mean “technically” 2.2003 and 2.2010 were Miller B’s. But they also had a huge primary storm with a great track prior to hitting blocking. We also had a nice one in 12.2003, and probably a few others.

But I really don’t like the textbook exploding Miller Bs for our area.