Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Western Pa / Pittsburgh area Winter Discussion ❄️☃️

north pgh

2 hours ago, Ahoff said:

TWC point and click is 5"-13", so really narrowed down there.  NWS still has the range at 3-4", weird.

I think the confusion is stemming from the advisory period vs total storm duration. They have 3-4 inches over a 24 hour period starting at (10pm Saturday - 10pm Sunday) but storm totals ending Tuesday of 6-8 inches. 

3 minutes ago, dj3 said:

I’d be surprised if the radar doesn’t start filling in quite a bit in the next few hours. Back to some small flakes reaching the ground right now.

I hope, but the models had been hinting at this especially the NAM. Like I said sure it showed .6 or .7 QPF but over 36 hours or so, and that really isn’t going to accumulate very well.

4 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

I hope, but the models had been hinting at this especially the NAM. Like I said sure it showed .6 or .7 QPF but over 36 hours or so, and that really isn’t going to accumulate very well.

Yea it’s going to be a different storm than what we’re used to for sure. Just had on Kdka and they mentioned 1-2” per hr rates later this afternoon so we’ll see. 

8 minutes ago, dj3 said:

Yea it’s going to be a different storm than what we’re used to for sure. Just had on Kdka and they mentioned 1-2” per hr rates later this afternoon so we’ll see. 

Once the primary gets closer I think we will start seeing better rates. I will take this any day over the usual wet nose that Brings us rain or sleet in a lot of these set ups.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, southpark said:

Once the primary gets closer I think we will start seeing better rates. I will take this any day over the usual wet nose that Brings us rain or sleet in a lot of these set ups.

I agree. Models only showed us getting 1 or 2 inches into early today. Look for heavier rates this afternoon. Have faith. 

• Like 1

The storm totals to our west in places like Chicago and Indiana seem to align with models.  Reports in the 6-12" range all over.  A couple model runs were too far south with these figures, but overall that's gone largely as expected.

15 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Where is the primary currently?

The primary is over southern Indiana right now.  1004 mb.  That's a bit further north than we'd normally like, but it is progged to roll underneath us as it moves east to transfer.  Some of the newest model runs are also showing an earlier transfer, between 18Z today and 0Z Monday, and much further south than initially expected (down to Georgia/South Carolina instead of NC/Virginia).  This is all the nowcasting stuff we have to watch.

1 hour ago, dj3 said:

She was saying that on Twitter too.

We’ll see if it materializes. We didn’t come out guns blazing this time, but still will be interesting. 

About an inch or so in Monroeville. Relatively windy with this current burst

A dusting here so far with light snow coming down.

We are really into nowcast time, but all the models still look good and NWS still thinks a band will develope with 1-2 inch per hour rates. Still need to give it time to play out before start sweating a bust. We've been good this year meeting or exceeding expectations, hopefully we can continue that theme for this storm.

• Like 1