• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Western Pa / Pittsburgh area Winter Discussion ❄️☃️

north pgh

It was a good run, We have CMC, UKMET and EURO (and it seems like GFS is trending towards these guys)  all showing at least 6-10 inches, hopefully no big changes in that track and we can start narrowing in on a tighter snowfall range in the next 24 hours or so.

The coastal development not like last nights Euro, but that probably won't be nailed down just yet given all the complexities associated with it and its still a little past the 100 hour mark whereas the track of the primary is under 80 hours now. If this were deal or no deal I'd probably take it and run at this point.

• Like 1

Just now, Burghblizz said:

Euro is colder with a more robust strip of 12+ streaking through central Ohio. That was less pronounced at 0z, and basically makes it all the way to Pgh now. 

i think it’s the result of a slightly further south track of the primary. 

Let's get the primary to trend stronger and further south somehow and thats how we win. I'm just glad to be tracking again. 

• Like 1

I still don't love the setup (give me a WAA overrunning event any day, something with simpler dynamics), but I'll be happy to be wrong about the max potential.

Not buying in yet.  The GFS doesn't concern me too much because it was awful with the 12/16 storm.  It had us getting only a couple inches even in the last few runs up to game time.  That said, it's still a possible solution, it just doesn't have much support.  This does look like it could come down to the mesoscales again.  I enjoy tracking, but I don't love sweating out the details into the final 24 hours.

I should add this event doesn't really mirror that one in December.  We're talking a long duration snowfall here, and because of the speed, we're less reliant on thermodynamics and convection to get a decent snowfall.  This is more of a synoptic (large-scale) event.  Instead of worrying about where banding sets up, we'll have to see how the timing falls, where the low settles, if it can retrograde west during a capture, etc.  Plenty of moving pieces.

As an additional note, the Canadian (at least) also shows a Christmas-eve redux event with a massive cold front and crashing temps.  That's next weekend (Fri/Sat).

• Like 1

I think as long as the primary low and 850mb low don't go too far north and stays just below Pittsburgh's latitude while its transferring to the coastal.. this is actually a pretty good setup for a decent snow event for Pittsburgh and surrounding. The west-east trajectory of the primary and transfer plus the overall blocking pattern maintain the nose of that anomalous easterly 850mb fetch pretty far inland... which is a pretty good sign for maintaining a nice precip shield between the two lows as they transfer.  -4 standard deviations is quite significant. 

ecmwfued-uwn--east_coast-96-C-850uwnstd_2021012812_whitecounty.thumb.png.32492c78a1e852352a78c4d58108507a.png

ecmwf-deterministic-east-z850_speed-2191600.thumb.png.a0c10a169eeef98a8e7bac5b66db1d55.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

I think as long as the primary low and 850mb low don't go too far north and stays just below Pittsburgh's latitude while its transferring to the coastal.. this is actually a pretty good setup for a decent snow event for Pittsburgh and surrounding. The west-east trajectory of the primary and transfer plus the overall blocking pattern maintain the nose of that anomalous easterly 850mb fetch pretty far inland... which is a pretty good sign for maintaining a nice precip shield between the two lows as they transfer.  -4 standard deviations is quite significant. 

ecmwfued-uwn--east_coast-96-C-850uwnstd_2021012812_whitecounty.thumb.png.32492c78a1e852352a78c4d58108507a.png

ecmwf-deterministic-east-z850_speed-2191600.thumb.png.a0c10a169eeef98a8e7bac5b66db1d55.png

This is what I worry about here in the western laurels in Farmington PA....looks like I’m going to be dryotted awhile during the transfer and lose 4-6” per today’s runs....

My local forecast looks to be going strictly by the GFS. 

Detailed Forecast

This Afternoon

A chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a high near 26. Northwest wind around 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Tonight

A chance of snow showers, mainly between 1am and 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 19. Northwest wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Friday

A slight chance of snow showers before 10am. Partly sunny, with a high near 26. Northwest wind 10 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Friday Night

Partly cloudy, with a low around 17. Northwest wind 3 to 7 mph.

Saturday

Mostly sunny, with a high near 32. Calm wind becoming east around 5 mph in the afternoon.

Saturday Night

Snow showers likely, mainly after 2am. Cloudy, with a low around 26. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Sunday

Snow before 10am, then snow and freezing rain between 10am and 2pm, then rain and snow after 2pm. High near 35. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Sunday Night

Rain and snow before 3am, then snow and freezing rain likely. Low around 30. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Monday

Snow and freezing rain likely before 2pm, then rain and snow likely between 2pm and 3pm, then a chance of snow after 3pm. Cloudy, with a high near 34. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Monday Night

A chance of snow showers before 2am. Cloudy, with a low around 25. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

5 minutes ago, Mailman said:

NAM coming in south of 12z.

We’ve heard for years not to study the NAM at 84...but I’m gonna. 

Def south, but almost looks like it wants to force that intial heavier snow south, and/or have it fizzle sooner. 

Im OK with that look at this point - just seems like mixing is the bigger concern than full suppression

2 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

Def south, but almost looks like it wants to force that intial heavier snow south, and/or have it fizzle sooner. 

Im OK with that look at this point - just seems like mixing is the bigger concern than full suppression

This far out I'd rather not be in the absolute bullseye on the NAM

11 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

Sometimes NAM at range can give hints to what other guidance will do, and a little more push from the confluence isn't out of the realm yet so missing to the South still on the table. It's a narrow window to maximize snow with the primary tracking like that and not ending up with slop or a whiff or dry slot.

2 minutes ago, Mailman said:

GFS going the wrong way.

It doesn't look great, but it's still got the primary farther north than anything else so we rain / mix.

In my opinion our biggest failure option is an early transfer, want that thing to slide just to the South of us then spin as it transfers. Quicker transfer means the better totals cut off in central Ohio then pick up again in central PA as we basically get jumped over in the process.