Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Western Pa / Pittsburgh area Winter Discussion ❄️☃️

north pgh

38 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Christmas eve on steroids it seems for NYE. Can we jackpot again? Long way out but the signal is there

b6EmYhY.png

Next window to watch for sure although 00z Euro  and 12z Canadian ops don't really support and even GFS has shifted west. Still 6-7 days out so who knows how it will play out.

3 hours ago, Rd9108 said:

So all we need is a big daddy and my winter season will be complete. So far this is exactly what I like. Front loaded seasons are better than backloaded. I believe we are in a good place as far as storm tracks. 

No doubt. 
I’ve always preferred more snow in December. In fact I would trade most of March, if it meant more snow in December every year. 
Chasing that first snowfall into the middle of January is annoying. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ahoff said:

Is GFS decent at picking out a pattern earlier and doing the worst after that, or am I imagining that?

I think that is generally correct. Especially in our area where it seems to underestimate warm air advection. So when that is the driver of snowfall, it’s going to underestimate it. When it leads to mixing issues, it also of course underestimates that. The why’s are above my pay grade. The mesoscale models with smaller grid spacing pick up more local nuances and thus are more accurate in the short team

6 hours ago, SteelCity87 said:

That changed quickly. Read articles last week saying this was the upcoming pattern was the best since 96' lol. 

If I had a nickel for everytime I've heard "we have a great upcoming pattern" and it didn't pan out I'd be rich.

We had a great month though regardless...just hope the rest of the winter doesn't suck.

• Like 2

On 12/27/2020 at 1:32 PM, SteelCity87 said:

That changed quickly. Read articles last week saying this was the upcoming pattern was the best since 96' lol. 

I'm seeing alot of discussions / debate on whether the higher heights in Greenland are really due to a "true" NAO or just the result of way above normal temperatures inflating past average 500mb heights for this time of year. Still more data says that the precursor to a SSW / PV split is typically above average temperatures for us.

All above my pay grade but what I do see is a general lack of cold air. It's odd to see rain on the NW side of a low pressure in early January anywhere let alone up into Canada. 

I think we just need more time to see how this evolves. Do we end up with the typical Nina response the rest of winter (Nina's are usually front loaded) or does some other factor combined with the a hopefully weakening Nina yield different results. As always expect models to struggle during any change. 

17 hours ago, Ahoff said:

NWS says this is the 2nd snowiest December ever, 8th snowiest month ever, and 4th snowiest start to a season ever.

Not terribly informative but a "fun" read while we wait for the next snow threat to track:

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/12/29/pittsburgh-weather-snow-winter/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem Manual&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2M6BlBRt27u7OKOMsfswAWa5TvFsAgbDNHj_Pz7SKTf8e-4Mdw4ZkLkzk

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA
1247 PM EST Thu Dec 31 2020

OHZ039>041-048>050-057>059-068-069-PAZ007-013-014-020>022-029-031-
073-075-WVZ001>004-510-511-513-010200-
/O.NEW.KPBZ.WW.Y.0018.210101T1200Z-210101T1800Z/
Tuscarawas-Carroll-Columbiana-Coshocton-Harrison-Jefferson OH-
Muskingum-Guernsey-Belmont-Noble-Monroe-Mercer-Lawrence-Butler-
Beaver-Allegheny-Armstrong-Washington-Greene-Westmoreland-Fayette-
Hancock-Brooke-Ohio-Marshall-
Ridges of Eastern Monongalia and Northwestern Preston-Preston-
Western Tucker-
Including the cities of New Philadelphia, Dover, Carrollton,
Malvern, East Liverpool, Salem, Columbiana, Coshocton, Cadiz,
Steubenville, Zanesville, Cambridge, Martins Ferry,
St. Clairsville, Caldwell, Woodsfield, Sharon, Hermitage,
Grove City, New Castle, Ellwood City, Butler, Aliquippa,
Beaver Falls, Ambridge, Monaca, Pittsburgh Metro Area,
Kittanning, Ford City, Washington, Canonsburg, Waynesburg,
Murrysville, Greensburg, New Kensington, Lower Burrell, Latrobe,
Monessen, Uniontown, Weirton, Follansbee, Wellsburg, Wheeling,
Moundsville, Coopers Rock, Kingwood, Bruceton Mills, Parsons,
Hendricks, and Saint George
1247 PM EST Thu Dec 31 2020

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM TO 1 PM EST
FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Freezing rain expected. Total ice accumulations of a
  light glaze.

* WHERE...Portions of northwest, southwest and western
  Pennsylvania, east central Ohio and northern and the northern
  panhandle of West Virginia.

* WHEN...From 7 AM to 1 PM EST Friday.

* IMPACTS...Very slippery sidewalks, roads and bridges are
  possible. The hazardous conditions could impact the morning
  commute.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Precipitation will changeover to rain as
  temperature increases through midday Friday.

39 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

It’s funny, they seem to issue a WWA very quickly for a tiny bit of ice that will melt pretty fast, but wait forever to issue one for snow.

12/13/09 there was a similar event that shut down the parkway west for awhile. ( Luckily I flew to Ft Lauderdale the day before )
IMO the relatively smaller ice events, seem to be the worse driving wise. 

22 minutes ago, CoraopolisWx said:

12/13/09 there was a similar event that shut down the parkway west for awhile. ( Luckily I flew to Ft Lauderdale the day before )
IMO the relatively smaller ice events, seem to be the worse driving wise. 

Well, yes, I understand that, but it's just funny that it took them a while to put warnings for a 10" snow storm, but a bit of rain that will freeze for a few hours then rapidly melt, gets more than a day's notice.  Just interesting.