• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Western Pa / Pittsburgh area Winter Discussion ❄️☃️

north pgh

NAM picked up on the prolonging of the snow into this afternoon. I feel like this is the type of fluffy snow that will add a sneaky inch or two if it continues. Wouldn’t be suprised to see an event total pushing 6”

The average yinzer with a ruler probably won’t report that much since it might not add much to the depth as last nights snow settles. But with NWS likely clearing their board every 6 hours, they will report > 6”

5 minutes ago, meatwad said:

SXUS71 KPBZ 252247
RERPIT

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA
0540 PM EST FRI DEC 25 2020

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM SNOWFALL SET AT PITTSBURGH PA...

A RECORD SNOWFALL OF 4.2 WAS SET AT PITTSBURGH PA TODAY.
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 3.5 SET IN 1935.

:snowman:

I’d be surprised if it wasn’t still going.  Still snowing here.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Thanks to our lovely city workers the streets around my parents house were a disaster. I may or may not have totaled my car because of it. Oh well I'm not hurt atleast. 

Oh my God.  Thank goodness you are okay.  Yes the City workers were no where to be found today.  Still snowing, one of those days where lake effect and ULL worked nicely together, for a record breaking Christmas.

10 hours ago, Ahoff said:

Officially we have 23.6" for the month.  That's the 3rd snowmelt December ever!  Chances don't look great for getting to #2, but we'll see.

Also tied for second snowiest Christmas day ever and snowmelt since 1935!

You guys definitely killed it this month over there in western PA. 

If we can speed up by about 12hrs what appears to be a really similar situation to yesterday shaping up on New Year's Eve/Day, maybe there can be some snow added to December's total haha. 

• Like 5

Just now, MAG5035 said:

You guys definitely killed it this month over there in western PA. 

If we can speed up by about 12hrs what appears to be a really similar situation to yesterday shaping up on New Year's Eve/Day, maybe there can be some snow added to December's total haha. 

Interesting month in that there weren't many opportunities, but we cashed in on every one.

• Like 2

Christmas day picked up 5.1", smashing the old record.  This one should stand for a long while.  The last one stood since 1890, and was tied in 1935!  That means the Eve and DY total was 6.6".  We also saw 0.4" after midnight this morning, for a storm total of 7".  Three storms over 6" in December.  And the NWS says we are at our second snowiest December.

Another overachiever.  This has to be our year.  Hopefully, the pattern stays primed.  Stays cold or gets colder and has opportunity.

Great start to winter! The Euro and NAM were good at showing the possibility of a prolonged period of snow. Got to love closed lows and negatively tilted troughs in these parts. I still saw flakes even this morning.

I don’t necessarily consider any of these 3 events overachievers per se. The model support was definitely there for these amounts. It’s just nice to have the digital snow translate to real snow. :snowing:

That’s been a problem the last few years 

33 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

Great start to winter! The Euro and NAM were good at showing the possibility of a prolonged period of snow. Got to love closed lows and negatively tilted troughs in these parts. I still saw flakes even this morning.

I don’t necessarily consider any of these 3 events overachievers per se. The model support was definitely there for these amounts. It’s just nice to have the digital snow translate to real snow. :snowing:

That’s been a problem the last few years 

I consider it an overachiever only because 7" was on the higher end of the model runs.  Most were between 3" and 6", and the WWA was for 3-5".  That's my only reason.

I just can't get over this season so far, has been great, and here's to the new year.