Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Western Pa / Pittsburgh area Winter Discussion ❄️☃️

north pgh

44 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

I'm surprised how many posters we have on this subforum. Definitely more than I thought. We basically have the same amount of snow as all of last year. Let's continue it. 

We've built up a nice little group over the years. Came a long way since the Eastern weather forum days! 

Well I went to work Wednesday planning to only work a half day but some things came up and ended up working 18 hours and missing the whole storm practically outside of looking out the window every half hour or so. Driving home at midnight was fun lol

It was a nice storm for us, driving back in today it was so picturesque like a Bob Ross painting.

48 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

Making for another great night. Like being in a snow globe. I’d call the additional accumulation just a “dusting” at this point 

Same here over on this side of the Laurels, got a fresh coating so far. Pretty nice aggregate flakes too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeB_01 said:

Terrific mood snow. Fireplace roaring, Christmas lights on, 10” snowpack on the ground, and the most perfect light snow falling outside my windows. This is what dreams are made of.

Definitely gives me an old school early 90's vibe, where the day after the main storm, a small disturbance would freshen the snowpack. 

Temps are relatively pleasant, which makes the clean up easier. 

• Like 3

Day 7, a chance for Christmas.

prbww_sn25_DAY7.gif

And cold weather for Christmas.  Looks pretty good.

610temp.new.gif

And, I know we all need a little model watching break, but the Euro is interesting for the 24th into the 25th.  It's a front passage that transitions to snow and drops a lot.  Looks like near 6" inches in the area, give or take it a short time.  Could be interesting, since the Euro did pretty well for this storm.  Not sure where it was at Day 7 though?

1 hour ago, dj3 said:

image.thumb.png.07b00bf1b00c58191d52201b8d2b6ffb.png

Can’t wrap my head around how this would work out after the cold front moves through on Christmas Eve but oh how I pray lol

GFS (and other models) are showing a wave of low pressure develop and ride up along the strong cold front projected to move through. It's all heavily timing dependent, front has to clear just as the wave moves past your latitude then deepen and slow the progression of the front to see those big totals. Don't get invested in anything you see with this, it won't be resolved until very short lead times.

As for a white Christmas, (I'm just going with the ground is covered, not the official 1 inch of new snow mark) odds are better than normal looking ahead. I think our current snow pack stands a good chance of holding up at least until Wednesday. We have generally overcast, with temperatures in the low to mid 30s with potentially reinforcing shots of light snow added on top Sunday / Monday. If we can drop below freezing overnight combined with weakest sun angle of the year practically  and a higher liquid equivalent snow pack we should be good. My only concern is Wednesday, we could make a run into the mid 40s maybe 50. A screaming SW wind with high dew points will eat a snow pack fast. Even if that does happen though, there is a chance with post frontal snow (even if the best case scenario doesn't happen) and some LES behind we could add enough new snow to recover the ground if it came to that. Just my 2 cents..

• Like 3