• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Western Pa / Pittsburgh area Winter Discussion ❄️☃️

north pgh

Yeah, the 18Z GFS wasn't great, pretty much a "worst case" for us (only drops 3-6" in Allegheny, which would be a bust of sorts).  However, keep in mind this storm will be heavily dependent on mesoscale features like banding, and that is not in the GFS' wheelhouse.  The GFS has one major band and puts Pittsburgh under nothing but subsidence.  That's still a possible scenario, no doubt, but I think you have to resolve those features using other higher-resolution models plus forecasting. 

On a 1 to 10 scale of bust potential, this storm is probably a 7 or 8.  But because of that, it could also overperform, so there's good and bad.  Unfortunately, there's also some unknown that comes with it.  I still think our absolute max potential is 14" with a low probability (say 10%) while 4" is the floor.  I'm good with anything over 3" in mid December, and we've already done it once!

Just now, Rd9108 said:

Still looks good to me. If it overperforms then maybe we get 12 or 14 but are we gonna be upset with we get like 8 or 10???

I'm great with 6-10....the 18z NAM and GFS though make me think that a SE correction is coming and we end up more 2-4 or 3-6. A 50 mile shift east would kill us.

7 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

I'm great with 6-10....the 18z NAM and GFS though make me think that a SE correction is coming and we end up more 2-4 or 3-6. A 50 mile shift east would kill us.

Settle the 18z euro is still good. Let's see what the NAM brings. Let's be honest even the globals become more and more worthless as nowcasting time begins. 

Just now, Rd9108 said:

Settle the 18z euro is still good. Let's see what the NAM brings. Let's be honest even the globals become more and more worthless as nowcasting time begins. 

Yeah,  it is still good, but is also a fairly sizable shift east, or at least cuts back on the westward extent of good totals.

Point is, we have seen this song and dance probably hundreds of times where in the last 24 hours we go from being modeled for a nice WSW level event to an advisory event or worse. It is our climo that it is just very hard to get a significant accumulation in a setup like this for us.

1 minute ago, Rd9108 said:

Seriously the storm hasn't even started yet and you are complaining. We've seen storms bust high and bust low it happens. Stop getting emotional over every model run for your own sanity and enjoy whatever falls. 

We will see, but in general it has been busting low. Our last WSW was that January 2019 storm....it rained all day and didn't snow till about 2AM when we got 2 inches I think.

Sorry, given our recent history I am less than confident until the event actually starts. Like I said, we will see what happens with the 0z run models...truly hope that they don't shift any further east or we are looking at a 2-4 event.

8 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

We will see, but in general it has been busting low. Our last WSW was that January 2019 storm....it rained all day and didn't snow till about 2AM when we got 2 inches I think.

Sorry, given our recent history I am less than confident until the event actually starts. Like I said, we will see what happens with the 0z run models...truly hope that they don't shift any further east or we are looking at a 2-4 event.

Wasn’t that a different type of storm though?  More of an overrunning event?

Just now, Ahoff said:

Wasn’t that a different type of storm though?  More of an overrunning event?

It was, yes. That was a whole different set of things that screwed us over on that one. We generally get screwed on these ones too....think January 2016 where you drove 50 miles south and east of Pittsburgh they had nearly 2 feet and I got 4 or 5 inches just north of the city.

48 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

It got quiet in here, lol.

I'm busy pouring blood over my snow idol statue, conducting a seance to conjur the snow gods and various other paranormal rituals of the ocult  to give me temporary control over mother nature to keep any east trends at bay.

21 minutes ago, CoraopolisWx said:

I think everyone is taking a breather/dinner. Tomorrow will hopefully be a fun day of nowcasting and obs.

At least I am. :pepsi:

Oh yeah.. I mean me too.. just eating some dinner. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

43 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

It was, yes. That was a whole different set of things that screwed us over on that one. We generally get screwed on these ones too....think January 2016 where you drove 50 miles south and east of Pittsburgh they had nearly 2 feet and I got 4 or 5 inches just north of the city.

It’s easy to be negative with our climo but honestly I feel like this storm is one of the perfect types to not give us a huge bust. No worries on mixing, not riding the northern edge and not waiting for a changeover. I think we’re in for a solid storm, doubt we jackpot but I don’t think we’ll be disappointed either. I think 6-12 is in play across Allegheny country. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Cry some more it will help. I'm done commenting on this storm. Your whininess is insufferable. 

Then block me? It doesn’t change the fact that each of the last few runs have trended towards us being fringed. Yeah, the end result is still decent with about .8 qpf in the area, but that is half of where we were at 12z a s the NAM is notorious for putting out over the top qpf numbers...and that gradient keeps moving further and further East. 

I am not trolling, but I’m really thinking this ends up as a 2-4 or 3-6 event which would really be a letdown after every model trended towards a 6-12 inch event yesterday.