• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2020 Medium/Long Term Pattern Discussion.

John1122

UKie/Euro OP now developing a lee side low similar to what the GFS had been doing. Several studies in the past couple decades  have centered around mountain ranges assisting in low development...models tend to struggle somewhat when this occurs. Winds have to hit and ascend at just the right angle or you end up with a plain fropa.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, John1122 said:

MRX playing it cautious. Basically the standard "well, it's probably going to snow in the mountains." disco. Can't really blame them though they did put out a giant graphic yesterday talking about a wintry Christmas.

Nashville doing the same, pretty standard operating procedure, usually play it ultra safe often times - Nashville - not calling for accumulating snow until they see it snowing and accumulating lol

4 hours ago, John1122 said:

I think Holston has found at times if convection flares even briefly in MJO regions that are warm, the next GFS run goes bad at 500mb

There is a a pretty big blob of convection in the 5 region, in the South China Sea (apparently that one is part of an Invest or Depression, or whatever they are called these days):

giphy.gif

Also a pretty decent chunk of it over the central Indian Ocean, but nothing to really write home about there:

giphy.gif

In terms of the OPs, it'll be interesting for me to watch if this big -ve NAO develops and retrogrades, as the wxtwittersphere is suggesting. I've never seen one like this one actually work out, so no clue how the OPs will look if that plays out. 

53 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Ends up here after another spoke of energy gives a bit more accumulation to some of the area. Can't imagine there will be strips of heavy accumulations and random blank spots in the actual event but who knows. 

snku_acc.us_ov.png

The only thing that gives it credence is that that "random" blank spot in Knox  county is right over my house in Cedar Bluff.

• Haha 2

Liking that the Euro and GFS are back with a storm....Bigger deal is they are both now showing a stronger push of cold air.  The Euro was missing that a few runs ago.  The 0z Euro had some anomalies of -25 below normal(not an actual temp) over the eastern valley with highs in the mid 20s north of I40 and from points east of Nashville.  Chattanooga may not get out of the low to mid 30s according to the 0z Euro on Christmas Day - unless their highs at midnight are warm(temps rapidly dropping throughout the day).   The 6z GFS is much colder with temps in the single digits to lower teens on Christmas morning in NE TN with temps not getting out of the teens during the day.  Christmas night is very gold on the Canadian and American models.  It seemed yesterday that the storm was weaker when the cold was not as expansive or severe.  Something to watch.

• Like 5

I like where we are at currently, still a lot of boom or bust potential so to speak. Upside, at H5 most the modeling is holding the energy back to the sw compared to the more progressive GFS. Also, the depth and degree of the cold shown will lead to some high ratios (even with the GFS setup, atmos will squeeze out all the moisture it can). Downside, if the GFS is correct with it's more progressive solution (consolidating at the lakes vs a strong spoke of energy rotating thru and enhancing the Lee side), we end up with a light event...Regardless, it will be nice to see flakes on Christmas..we all know how rare that is. Next 24-36 hrs will be interesting to watch at H5.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, TellicoWx said:

12z GEFS keeps improving

I've often wondered if they or another modeling site could implement a map of median snowfall among all the ensemble members for a run. It would prevent distortion from weenie maps and eliminate a lot of wide expanses of sub-inch totals. A single member with snowfall using the average means that areas will be listed with snowfall despite the vast majority of members having it out of the equation. Granted, the mean is still valuable in it's own right showing low likelihood areas still in play.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

UKMET was pretty ugly. But it has been bouncing around a lot with each run. That being said, it is not an unreasonable way the storm could play out. Low develops on the front and tracks right over east TN and a just in time change over for eastern KY. 

This is my main concern. Lows that develop on boundaries love the west side of the apps

• Like 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic