• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
December 2020 Medium/Long Term Pattern Discussion.

John1122

At 42 the 12z CMC is south and east of its 0z run and slight weaker.  Last comment on that model so as not to gum up the thread...trend south and east with it as well. 

I must be missing something... you don’t seem to like further SE with the system but I thought we were tracking an Apps runner? Wouldn’t SE trends be good? Wouldn’t a later phase allow more cold into ETn?

8 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Here is where it looks like the front is on the latest SPC mesoscale analysis's windbarbs: 

573qnbI.png

Looks to me like that from is far enough south that it is causing a later phase.  I always hold out hope(no matter how unfounded!) that he slp gets further east and pulls due north.  Those traditionally are pretty good storms.  Also of note, many of the models are popping a low now over Delmarva pretty consistently which is a pretty good sign of a strong storm.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

I'm still thinking Middle Tennessee, namely the areas not on the Plateau, is not out of the game. Perhaps all Nashville will see is some bands of snow showers without any accumulation, due to its elevation and the UHI effect, but it'll be interesting to see if some spots along the Highland Rim can pick up some minor snowfall.

Agree.  Storms like this wobble quite (with each run) a bit due to the phase being tough to model (timing and placement).  The envelope right now, though trending slightly eastward, doesn't leave middle TN out of the game at all.  I do think places like Monterey might be sitting pretty nice.  For MBY, definitely hoping for an eastward jog...for yours I will be happy to see it jog back west.  Hoping we can get accumulating snow in the forum area to start the season. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

I'm still thinking Middle Tennessee, namely the areas not on the Plateau, is not out of the game. Perhaps all Nashville will see is some bands of snow showers without any accumulation, due to its elevation and the UHI effect, but perhaps some spots along the Highland Rim can pick up some minor snowfall.

Middle Tennessee has looked better than most areas of the state that aren't mountainous throughout. You don't have to deal with any downsloping really like the eastern valley areas.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

12z Ukie might be a good test for the front theory. Looks like it is already pressing it further south on this run compared to 0z. Only out to 12 hours for now. 

The UKMET at meteocentre looks slightly east.  Biggest thing I notice is that the slp along the GOM is east on many of the models in the 12z suite.  Some go the Miller A route while some lift due north.  UKMET looks like it sent party of its low east of the Apps before heading straight to TRI form east central Alabama.  Wrap around is wicked with the UKMET.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue Moon said:

I'm still thinking Middle Tennessee, namely the areas not on the Plateau, is not out of the game. Perhaps all Nashville will see is some bands of snow showers without any accumulation, due to its elevation and the UHI effect, but perhaps some spots along the Highland Rim can pick up some minor snowfall.

The latest nam12k run seems to suggest up here on the highland rim we could see some accumulating snow. Although some of the heaviest bands seem to be when temps are still above freezing. I always wonder if it’s still possible to get a surprise snow like the 2003 storm that dropped 7 inches on Nashville? I know the models are much better now so maybe not. I was not living here until 2006 but have never had a huge over achiever like the 2003 storm. It seems like overachievers are more likely in the elevated areas of eastern Tennessee.

• Like 1

That 12z run of the Euro...just want it to nudge just a bit more east of the Apps where it can consolidate (if you live in the E TN valley....stay where it is if in middle TN).  The Apps disrupted the system quite a bit with that shift.  There are times it shifts roughly 200 miles east.  Problem is the slp gets disorganized so sometimes a shift is just a result of about three different low locations.

12z EPS shows the shift eastward.  There is a cluster of lows over central(east side of central) NC that wasn't on any of the three previous runs.  The 12z EPS is south and east of previous runs.  So, looks like the trend is just that(south and east) for the 12z suite.  Does that continue?  Maybe.  I think at some point things shift back NW after the eastward jog stops.  Will be interesting to see if the Euro does indeed end-up being too far to the west during the past few days.  

839468735_ScreenShot2020-11-28at2_14_55PM.png.4fcfef21c9aba79c5cf00338dc822777.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

18z NAM is west again, but shows some change over in Middle TN toward Monday early AM

giphy.gif 

So is the NAM the furtherest West solution now?   Going to be a good upslope event.  MRX has updated their afternoon disco and has a prelim snow map.  Elevation driven event for their forecast.

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic