Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Pockets damaging wind-power outage potential 4P-10P Sunday Nov 15, 2020

wdrag

2 minutes ago, uncle W said:

how about a snowstorm at the end of the month like what happened in 1938...this year anything is possible...

that must've been wild too we had the Long Island Cat 3 that year.

The 30s had big extremes and also were big la nina years.

Wow the winds are getting really strong again and my windows are rattling

11 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Rooftop 

Full tower
Open Site Photos Viewer

General Information

Station ID BKLN
Location 5.2 km (3.2 mi) ESE of Brooklyn
County Kings
Latitude 40.631762° / N 40° 37′ 54″
Longitude -73.953678° / W 73° 57′ 13″
Elevation 33.2 meters / 109 feet
Installed June 19, 2017 2:45 pm
Station Number 33
Climate Division 4 - Coastal
NWS Forecast Office OKX - New York, NY
Type of Site University
Soil Type N/A - Rooftop
Obstructions within 100m Buildings, pavement
Surroundings City rooftop
Show Measured Variables 

thanks Walt...I cant figure out what part of Brooklyn that is?...I had a roof top weather sight when I lived in Brooklyn...my strongest gust of wind was 60mph in November 1989...

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

Fay was like 55 mph gusts, Isaiah was close to 80 mph.  This was probably a little stronger than Fay but less than Isaiah.

It definitely was worse than fay, biggest gust in fay i recorded here was 43 mph, meanwhile I had a 51 mph gust as the squall passed through. Isaias was definitely way worse than either though (I recorded a 69 mph gust in Isaias, which is the highest I've recorded since I first got my weather station for my 16th birthday)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

derecho

our biggest wind events always seem to happen in the fall.  The aforementioned one in Nov 1989 and Labor Day 1998 are examples (although that was late summer.)  Anyone remember the event we had years ago when the Staten Island Ferry crashed into the pier during a big wind event and 15 people died?  I remember the ferry captain was held liable for that.  What year was that and how strong were the winds?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

our biggest wind events always seem to happen in the fall.  The aforementioned one in Nov 1989 and Labor Day 1998 are examples (although that was late summer.)  Anyone remember the event we had years ago when the Staten Island Ferry crashed into the pier during a big wind event and 15 people died?  I remember the ferry captain was held liable for that.  What year was that and how strong were the winds?

I may be wrong, but I don't believe that ferry crash was weather related....pilot error . The captains doctor had his license suspended due to the findings.... The doctor happened to be our family doctor also.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, bluewave said:

83 mph gust showing up on North Shore.

Matinecock Pt    N/A     55 N/A N/A W46G83    

The 83 mph gust at Matinecock Point was from a WeatherFlow station and was slightly elevated (45 feet or 13.7 m versus standard 10 m anemometer height).  It converts to around 80 mph at standard height.  The station is called Bayville by WeatherFlow, but is actually located at the northern end of Glen Cove, slightly west of Bayville.

Another elevated WeatherFlow station (71 feet or 21.6 m, on top of a lighthouse) in Eatons Neck reported a 80 mph gust, which converts to around 74 mph at standard height.

A Weather Underground station in nearby Centre Island reported a 67 mph gust. 

Per the WeatherFlow stations, gusts on the immediate South Shore were a little lower than on the immediate North Shore.  Highest gust I saw from WeatherFlow stations on the South Shore was 60 mph in Oak Beach near the eastern end of Jones Beach Island.

You can view the WeatherFlow data (for a limited time, as long as Hurricane Iota is still around) here: http://ds.weatherflow.com/storm/iota#40.641,-73.27,15,19

Eatons Neck.png

Centre Island WxFlow.png

Centre Island.png

W Fire Island.png

Bayville.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2