• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gelavis
    Newest Member
    Gelavis

Category 5 Hurricane Iota

4 hours ago, ChasingFlakes said:

Can't confirm this footage is solely Iota, let alone from Nicaragua/Honduras...

I'm sure it is legit footage from past storms, maybe some from Eta, possibly a clip or two from Iota. Probably too soon to see a lot from Iota. Still a good view of what they go through there whenever they get hammered with tropical systems and seasonal monsoons.

9 hours ago, Windspeed said:

I'm surprised how dry the area is. Obviously a lot of vegetation was stripped away, but it looks pretty brown and barren anyway. I pictured a lush tropical jungle. I'm sure it has be deforested horribly.

• Thanks 1

On 11/16/2020 at 7:05 PM, jpeters3 said:

I am a meteorology professor.

Why don't you go find me an observation from the previous two recon missions that supports a cat 5 intensity? 

Then you'd be the right person to ask this question (actually series of questions).

Do you find the changes in categories in the Saffir Simpson scale rather abrupt? I do.  For example, both a 135 mph hurricane and a 155 mph hurricane are considered Cat 4, while the latter is much closer to and causes the same amount of damage as a 160 mph Cat 5.

Also, (and I've mentioned this before), since the public statements issued by the NHC are in 5 mph increments, I believe the scale's categorization should be similarly incremented.  On top of that (or rather in lieu of that) when a wind is categorized to be within 5 mph of the next category, the storm should be labeled as being on the border of both categories....for example 110 mph hurricane should be considered a Cat 2/3 and a 155 mph hurricane should be a Cat 4/5.

One other thing.....what's different with the scale they use in the West Pac?  Any storm of 150 mph or higher is considered a Super Typhoon?  I actually think that makes more sense, since it would get the public's attention better than saying a storm was a Cat 5....why not use the term Super Hurricane here?

On 11/16/2020 at 7:25 PM, ncforecaster89 said:

The western eyewall of #HurricaneIota is moving into NE Nicaragua, currently, as a likely high-end Cat 4...bringing all the catastrophic effects mentioned previously. Worst of 15-20’ storm surge will come barreling onshore when the wind shifts to a direct onshore flow.

Hey you!  How do you compare this to Michael?

You'd be a good person to ask since you experienced Michael first hand.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 5:46 PM, dan11295 said:

Phony link on twitter aside, it is apparent that the island of Providencia was hit very hard. Iota went right over it while at Category 5 strength. Note that Eta missed the island as it was moving southwest prior to landfall.

shouldn't this be considered a Cat 5 landfall then?

12 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

who cares since the nhc probably wont retire greek names these storms will be forgotten... years from now.

Cat 5 landfalls are extremely uncommon, but somewhat more common along the Central American coast.  What was that year that Central America had two Cat 5 landfalls?

Dean and Felix in 2007.
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Windspeed said:
19 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:
Cat 5 landfalls are extremely uncommon, but somewhat more common along the Central American coast.  What was that year that Central America had two Cat 5 landfalls?

Dean and Felix in 2007.

Thanks, they weren't that far apart either as far as I recall.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

But how can he compare something he wasn't in to something he actually was in?

20 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Technically a "landfall" is only when the center crosses over land. If the eyewall hits land but the exact center stays offshore, the term is "direct hit."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/19/2020 at 11:06 PM, LibertyBell said:

Hi Liberty! Unlike with hurricane Michael, whereby I experienced the absolute brunt of the Cat 5 conditions, I actually didn’t chase Iota.  

That said, a combination of all of the available data suggests Michael was slightly stronger than Iota at their respective peak intensities, but essentially the same.

Fortunately, the absolute brunt of the Cat 5 winds, located within Iota’s inner eyewall, appear to have passed just to the N of the island of Providencia.  Even so, the residents there were still battered by extreme high-end Cat 4 winds, as evidenced by the pictures taken in the aftermath.

All that aside, I hope you’re doing well and have a great rest of the weekend!  

• Thanks 1

On 11/19/2020 at 11:28 PM, nycwinter said:

who cares since the nhc probably wont retire greek names these storms will be forgotten... years from now.

lolwut?  Do people actually only remember storms if the NHC retires the name?

22 hours ago, ncforecaster89 said:

Hi Liberty! Unlike with hurricane Michael, whereby I experienced the absolute brunt of the Cat 5 conditions, I actually didn’t chase Iota.  

That said, a combination of all of the available data suggests Michael was slightly stronger than Iota at their respective peak intensities, but essentially the same.

Fortunately, the absolute brunt of the Cat 5 winds, located within Iota’s inner eyewall, appear to have passed just to the N of the island of Providencia.  Even so, the residents there were still battered by extreme high-end Cat 4 winds, as evidenced by the pictures taken in the aftermath.

All that aside, I hope you’re doing well and have a great rest of the weekend!  

Thanks, to you as well!  I concur that Michael was slightly stronger and also intensifying at landfall (a very important aspect of this!)  I have to speculate that if Eta had not happened prior to Iota, Iota may in fact have gotten even stronger.  Even moreso, had Iota occurred in October, as Michael (and Wilma) did, Iota may have gotten as strong as Wilma did.  I think we have some room (unfortunately) to get an Atlantic hurricane stronger than Wilma....and I believe it will happen in the next few decades.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 5:28 PM, Calderon said:

But how can he compare something he wasn't in to something he actually was in?

I remember Hurricane Agnes when I was a kid. Not a landfall in Tampa Bay, and not a Cat 5, but the highest storm surge around here for maybe almost 100 years (80+ anyway).

Being in something makes it real, builds those lasting memories. The sounds, sights, the feel, whatever panic or scrambling that has to be done, ignoring Hollywood Squares on TV because something more important is happening, etc.

Life experience rules.

12 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I think we have some room (unfortunately) to get an Atlantic hurricane stronger than Wilma....and I believe it will happen in the next few decades.

Count on it. Just look at the past few years.

I should know this, but what is considered the be the most powerful and destructive hurricane to hit the US coast in modern history.

Camille is what I remember growing up. Andrew with my wife's stories going through it and scenes of destruction, Michael watching online.

Sandy?

;)

• Haha 1

I should know this, but what is considered the be the most powerful and destructive hurricane to hit the US coast in modern history.
Camille is what I remember growing up. Andrew with my wife's stories going through it and scenes of destruction, Michael watching online.
Sandy?

Modern? Well the most destructive is still going to be Katrina for what it did to the MS and LA coastlines. Most powerful? That's still going to be the Labor Day 1935 storm with its ridiculous sub 895 hPa landfall and 185 sustained winds.
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Thanks, to you as well!  I concur that Michael was slightly stronger and also intensifying at landfall (a very important aspect of this!)  I have to speculate that if Eta had not happened prior to Iota, Iota may in fact have gotten even stronger.  Even moreso, had Iota occurred in October, as Michael (and Wilma) did, Iota may have gotten as strong as Wilma did.  I think we have some room (unfortunately) to get an Atlantic hurricane stronger than Wilma....and I believe it will happen in the next few decades.

Eta definitely had some effect Iota due to upwelling. However that effect is much less pronounced in that area then pretty much anywhere else as warm water extends to tremendous depths. 
As far as November vs October that region does not experience cold fronts so waters would be only the slightest bit cooler 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2020 at 6:16 AM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Eta definitely had some effect Iota due to upwelling. However that effect is much less pronounced in that area then pretty much anywhere else as warm water extends to tremendous depths. 
As far as November vs October that region does not experience cold fronts so waters would be only the slightest bit cooler 

That area is like a micro version of the West Pac....I remember when Josh chased those back to back Cat 5s there....and remember how horrendous Mitch was down there.

On 11/22/2020 at 10:49 PM, Windspeed said:
On 11/22/2020 at 9:22 PM, Prospero said:
Sandy?
emoji6.png

Modern? Well the most destructive is still going to be Katrina for what it did to the MS and LA coastlines. Most powerful? That's still going to be the Labor Day 1935 storm with its ridiculous sub 895 hPa landfall and 185 sustained winds.

I realize we are based in the US but Mitch was way worse than Katrina.  The number of people who died is mind boggling.  It was on a level with some of the worst typhoons that hit Bangladesh.

Wilma was also more powerful than the Labor Day 1935 storm, although we're splitting hairs here.

edit- just saw you were responding to Prospero's post about the strongest storms to hit the US not about the entire Atlantic basin.

I will say this though.....Dorian came within 100 miles of wiping away all the records set by previous US landfalling storms....

On 11/22/2020 at 9:22 PM, Prospero said:

Sandy?

;)

Dorian came within a a few hours drive of wiping away all previous US records......could you imagine a Cat 5 stalling like that on the Fla coast instead of the Bahamas?

On 11/22/2020 at 9:16 PM, Prospero said:

I remember Hurricane Agnes when I was a kid. Not a landfall in Tampa Bay, and not a Cat 5, but the highest storm surge around here for maybe almost 100 years (80+ anyway).

Being in something makes it real, builds those lasting memories. The sounds, sights, the feel, whatever panic or scrambling that has to be done, ignoring Hollywood Squares on TV because something more important is happening, etc.

Life experience rules.

Someone called my attention to a very weird storm that happened in December 1994 wondering if it might have been tropical.  The history of this storm is fascinating, it even underwent Fujiwhara which sent it NW making landfall near JFK with winds of 70 knots!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_1994_nor'easter

The Christmas 1994 nor'easter was an intense cyclone along the East Coast of the United States and Atlantic Canada. It developed from an area of low pressure in the southeast Gulf of Mexico near the Florida Keys, and moved across the state of Florida. As it entered the warm waters of the Gulf Stream in the Atlantic Ocean, it began to rapidly intensify, exhibiting traits of a tropical system, including the formation of an eye. It attained a pressure of 970 millibars on December 23 and 24, and after moving northward, it came ashore near New York City on Christmas Eve. Because of the uncertain nature of the storm, the National Hurricane Center (NHC) did not classify it as a tropical cyclone.

Heavy rain from the developing storm contributed to significant flooding in South Carolina. Much of the rest of the East Coast was affected by high winds, coastal flooding, and beach erosion. New York State and New England bore the brunt of the storm; damage was extensive on Long Island, and in Connecticut, 130,000 households lost electric power during the storm. Widespread damage and power outages also occurred throughout Rhode Island and Massachusetts, where the storm generated 30-foot (9.1 m) waves along the coast. Because of the warm weather pattern that contributed to the storm's development, precipitation was limited to rain. Two people were killed, and damage amounted to at least $21 million.

More footage and information is making its way out of Providencia. The flyover footage is very Irma-esque. Wish we could of had some radar coverage there like we did with Eta. It was tough to tell on satellite if they made it into the inner core of the eyewall but I'm guessing they did based on the footage we are now seeing. 

• Sad 1

On 11/16/2020 at 6:14 AM, Windspeed said:

By the time recon gets there, it will be nearing peak. I don't know of Iota is going to reach Cat 5 but it sure as hell looks like it is trying. With all the recon issues during Eta, it's possible Eta did reach a 5 for a short while only we lacked the data or sampled past peak. Iota on the other hand may actually not be at peak yet as the eye is still yet getting warmer and more circular. So timing of the next recon should be interesting.

Also, holy guacamole at that GLM count in the southern eyewall. Provencia may be just south of it hopefully. Not sure. Parallax can be deceiving.5647adb1db94f4274ffe92ec01bccd4d.gif&key=edc0af49204bb620ea182ecfdd6cfaa60342e1f2dfc19b9d8fddb9261ebc1642

@KoalaBeer

Devastating video of Provencia. I think it did get spared from the actual southern eyewall, not that matters much with a storm like this. I can't imagine what the island would look like if it passed just south.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 8:39 PM, Prospero said:

@KoalaBeer

Devastating video of Provencia. I think it did get spared from the actual southern eyewall, not that matters much with a storm like this. I can't imagine what the island would look like if it passed just south.

What would be considered a worst case scenario?  The eye misses the island but the island spends the entire time in the inner eyewall?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

What would be considered a worst case scenario?  The eye misses the island but the island spends the entire time in the inner eyewall?

That's something that's always peaked my interest. What's worse? Spending more time in the inner eyewall getting absolutely blasted by cat4/5 winds for a longer period...or you go straight through the eye and get the break and calm, but the winds come roaring in the opposite direction causing damage to infrastructure that was otherwise somewhat protected from earlier wind directions. End of the day it's probably a lose lose. The fact they either got the southern eyewall or very close to it where all the intense lighting was popping off probably didn't help either. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KoalaBeer said:

That's something that's always peaked my interest. What's worse? Spending more time in the inner eyewall getting absolutely blasted by cat4/5 winds for a longer period...or you go straight through the eye and get the break and calm, but the winds come roaring in the opposite direction causing damage to infrastructure that was otherwise somewhat protected from earlier wind directions. End of the day it's probably a lose lose. The fact they either got the southern eyewall or very close to it where all the intense lighting was popping off probably didn't help either. 

It’s most definitely worse to be continually blasted by the inner eyewall of the quadrant with onshore winds (right side), than going directly through the center of the eye.  The most powerful winds are in this sector of the eyewall and also comes “roaring” from the “opposite direction” (e.g. wind shift).  The only difference being that there’s no break in between.  For areas on the immediate coastline, not only do you have those extreme winds, but worse yet...the wind shift brings in a catastrophic storm surge!  

In short, given the choice of the two, it’s certainly most preferable to get into the eye!  

• Thanks 1