• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
11/12 Heavy Rain/Flooding Event

NorthHillsWx

Is there a better place to check for rainfall totals for my zip code? Weather underground says 1.80” for the last 24 hours and I find that hard to believe. The pasture in front of my house next to the Dan is flooded and many roads and low areas are flooded between Eden and Martinsville. The Smith and the Dan are both  running very high.

36 minutes ago, landof2rivers said:

Is there a better place to check for rainfall totals for my zip code? Weather underground says 1.80” for the last 24 hours and I find that hard to believe. The pasture in front of my house next to the Dan is flooded and many roads and low areas are flooded between Eden and Martinsville. The Smith and the Dan are both  running very high.

I compared the digital accumulation to a couple sites and it was underestimating precip by as much as 50%. I assume due to the tropical nature of the rain.

The shelter in place unless fleeing from flooding FFW was not a welcome sight this morning. Most of the rivers in the Greensboro metro are above flood stage now and Charlotte looks a lot worse.

47 minutes ago, landof2rivers said:

I think maybe the Danville Regional Airport reporting site would be a good nearby source. They’ve had over 5.25” so far 

1 hour ago, landof2rivers said:

image.thumb.png.1fb136fecca5fc796409647dd257c341.png

This site is pretty good. https://climate.ncsu.edu/

I finished with 8.03 inches between last night and this morning!  Crazy.  The big wet 2020 continues.

Now at 91.99 inches IMBY since January 1, which is 41.86 inches ahead of pace on my 8-year annual average of 57.72 inches at this house.  We still have more than 1.5 months to go in this calendar year...

Can I change my screen name to @Rainforrest?  Oh.  Wait.  We already have one of those.  :D

• Like 2

This is going to be an impressive event given most of the state if not all will see at least 2-3 inches of rainfall with many areas in the 4-6”+ range. Definitely widespread and trended/verified on high end of every forecast. Widespread flood reports across the state with Charlotte and NW piedmont hit especially hard 

8 hours ago, landof2rivers said:

Here's a link to  a good site for rainfall estimates that allows you to zoom in to street level. https://www.iweathernet.com/total-rainfall-map-24-hours-to-72-hours

It shows 3.96" for my location from this most recent event and I measured 4.07", so it can be used to give a pretty good estimate as to how much rain has fallen.  Looking at the rainfall estimates at the link I provided, much of the Dan River Basin in Stokes and Patrick Counties received between 4 and 7 inches of rain. As a result,  the Dan River is projected to reach 32.4 feet tomorrow morning in Danville, VA which will become the highest crest ever recorded in Danville if that occurs.

591734180_danriver.jpg.641f61226c80c8c9edbffe53daf11645.jpg