Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid-Atlantic winter 2020-21 snowfall contest

PrinceFrederickWx

26 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

This is just an interim update based on this evening's CLI reports. Our current leader is now @NoVaWx and it's a very close contest. @GATECH is now the first player that's been mathematically eliminated.

BWI: 4.4"

DCA: 1.7"

IAD: 4.8"

RIC: 4.2"

leaderboard.JPG

I would like a recount of all the flakes that have fallen so far!

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Updated:

BWI: 5.9"

DCA: 2.6"

IAD: 5.6"

RIC: 4.2"

@NoVaWx maintains the lead. I believe @RickinBaltimore and @biodhokie have also been mathematically eliminated now, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

leaderboard.JPG

You're correct about @RickinBaltimore and @biodhokie.  The former trails by 2.6 and can pick up only 1.6 (if he gains the maximum at DCA), and the latter trails by 4.3 and can pick up only 2.2  (1.2 at BWI and 1.0 at DCA).

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RodneyS said:

You're correct about @RickinBaltimore and @biodhokie.  The former trails by 2.6 and can pick up only 1.6 (if he gains the maximum at DCA), and the latter trails by 4.3 and can pick up only 2.2  (1.2 at BWI and 1.0 at DCA).

You also have to count the leader’s numbers getting worse too by the same amount, so it can get tricky, but yeah, it looks like they’re eliminated. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

You also have to count the leader’s numbers getting worse too by the same amount, so it can get tricky, but yeah, it looks like they’re eliminated. 

Right.  The key is when someone already has a negative departure any additional snow increases that departure, whereas if someone has a positive departure any additional snow decreases that departure up to the point the departure is eliminated.  So, for example, if Contestant A has a negative departure at all four locations whereas Contestant B has a positive departure of at least an inch at all four locations, a 1-inch snowfall at each location results in a loss for Contestant A of four points and a gain for Contestant B of four points -- an eight-point swing in Contestant B's favor.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Update:

BWI: 6.1"

DCA: 3.5"

IAD: 8.3"

RIC: 4.3"

@Clueless still leads. 

@MillvilleWx is now stuck rooting for a suppressed storm for RIC 

@Rhino16 somehow has to get an event that jackpots... DCA 

leaderboard.JPG

I think Rhino16 is now a slight favorite, but MillvilleWx is eliminated.  The latter has negative departures in three locations, and so can't pick up there.  While he can pick up 1.8 on Clueless in Richmond, he trails by 3.1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

The person who has the lowest absolute value departures at all four airports is the winner. The first post in this thread has a link that explains it in more detail.

This doesn't change the top of the leaderboard, but apparently RIC managed to get 0.1 today, to bring the seasonal total to 4.4.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Thanks- last I checked, the CLI for RIC hadn’t been issued yet today.

A day like today in the Mid-Atlantic, where the temperature was above freezing the entirety of the snowstorm, presents a challenge for snow measurers.  According to the National Weather Service: "While acknowledging there is no perfect way of measuring snowfall, the following best practice accommodates the observer while ensuring the best consistency. If the snow event ends well before the end of the 24-hour observing period make the 24-hour measurement at the end of the snow event, if possible. For example if the snow event ends at 1PM, make the snowfall measurement at that time." See https://www.weather.gov/media/coop/Snow_Measurement_Guidelines-2014.pdf  However, even by the time the snow ended today, which was around 1 PM in my area, a lot had already melted.  When I first observed the snow coming down hard around 9 AM, I thought I would have to shovel for about an hour after the storm ended.  In reality, no shoveling at all was required.