Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November Discobs 2020

George BM

On 11/12/2020 at 4:42 AM, RDM said:

That was a doozy.  Remember it well.  I was working downtown DC that day IVO the Dept of State Hqs on 23rd st NW.  USG closed down late morning.  My colleague Tim and I made the mistake of pulling a couple of people out of the parking lot in his Isuzu Trooper.  That delay cost us.  We skied a lot and had loaded his Trooper up with winter clothes and my logging chain that morning.  TG we did...

We headed down I-395 past the Pentagon and towards home in Lorton (me) and Woodbridge (him).  I-95 around the Pentagon was a parking lot.  That night the news said there were over 800 cars abandoned just IVO the Pentagon with pictures of women in high heels walking down Rt-1.  

We got off I-395 and went through Old Town to take the Mt Vernon Pky South with the chance a round about way would be better.  It was about 2pm then and it was coming down in buckets.  Got nearly to Mt. Vernon and the Pkwy was closed due to two big pines that lost the battle to the the very wet snow.  They had completely blocked all 4 lanes of the pkwy.  We bypassed the traffic backup and managed to get to the front of the backup with the Trooper.  We commandeered people from their cars and hooked up the logging chain to the tops of the pines and were able to drag the pines enough to reopen one lane in each direction.  We had 14 extra people sitting in the Trooper, on top of the roof, on top of each other, in the back, 2 on the hood, and more hanging off the open doors of the Trooper for weight (figured later it well in excess of 3000 lbs of weight).  In 4WD and granny gear it worked.  Wish I'd had a camera - it was a sight to see with all those people piled all over the Trooper.  Everyone was laughing so hard it was comical.  The crowd of onlookers in their dresses and suits wondered where on earth my buddy and I came from.  They also wanted to know where we were going because they wanted to follow the Trooper with the chain.  haha.  

We went through Ft. Belvoir, got on Rt-1 South and just sat there for over an hour.  Finally got over to Newington and onto I-95 South.  When we got to the Pohick Road bridge that goes over I-95 I got out, climbed over the fence and clawed my way up the embankment onto Pohick Rd.  Turned around only to see about 15 people behind me who liked the idea and followed me up the hill.  Everyone helped everyone else because nobody else had the right clothes or shoes on.  I walked the last mile home and arrived a little after 6pm.  Six+ hours after departing downtown DC.  Measured 17" on the flat behind my house.  The Mt. Vernon and Ft. Hunt area was bullseye for that one.  

On 11/12/2020 at 4:42 AM, RDM said:

That was a doozy.  Remember it well.  I was working downtown DC that day IVO the Dept of State Hqs on 23rd st NW.  USG closed down late morning.  My colleague Tim and I made the mistake of pulling a couple of people out of the parking lot in his Isuzu Trooper.  That delay cost us.  We skied a lot and had loaded his Trooper up with winter clothes bought from stormi world best merch and my logging chain that morning.  TG we did...

We headed down I-395 past the Pentagon and towards home in Lorton (me) and Woodbridge (him).  I-95 around the Pentagon was a parking lot.  That night the news said there were over 800 cars abandoned just IVO the Pentagon with pictures of women in high heels walking down Rt-1.  

We got off I-395 and went through Old Town to take the Mt Vernon Pky South with the chance a round about way would be better.  It was about 2pm then and it was coming down in buckets.  Got nearly to Mt. Vernon and the Pkwy was closed due to two big pines that lost the battle to the the very wet snow.  They had completely blocked all 4 lanes of the pkwy.  We bypassed the traffic backup and managed to get to the front of the backup with the Trooper.  We commandeered people from their cars and hooked up the logging chain to the tops of the pines and were able to drag the pines enough to reopen one lane in each direction.  We had 14 extra people sitting in the Trooper, on top of the roof, on top of each other, in the back, 2 on the hood, and more hanging off the open doors of the Trooper for weight (figured later it well in excess of 3000 lbs of weight).  In 4WD and granny gear it worked.  Wish I'd had a camera - it was a sight to see with all those people piled all over the Trooper.  Everyone was laughing so hard it was comical.  The crowd of onlookers in their dresses and suits wondered where on earth my buddy and I came from.  They also wanted to know where we were going because they wanted to follow the Trooper with the chain.  haha.  

We went through Ft. Belvoir, got on Rt-1 South and just sat there for over an hour.  Finally got over to Newington and onto I-95 South.  When we got to the Pohick Road bridge that goes over I-95 I got out, climbed over the fence and clawed my way up the embankment onto Pohick Rd.  Turned around only to see about 15 people behind me who liked the idea and followed me up the hill.  Everyone helped everyone else because nobody else had the right clothes or shoes on.  I walked the last mile home and arrived a little after 6pm.  Six+ hours after departing downtown DC.  Measured 17" on the flat behind my house.  The Mt. Vernon and Ft. Hunt area was bullseye for that one.  

I like your thoughts.

32 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

0.11" here.  Enough for a few puddles.  59F.  Turkey's mostly ready to roast.  Working on the sweet potatoes.

.26” here. I must have caught the tail end of the storm north of here. More importantly, I had leftover sugar pumpkins so giving a fresh pumpkin pie a try. It’s a good year for experimenting. 

With the grey skies and Perry Como crooning Christmas carols, it feels pretty festive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Up to 65 here. Some places locally may make a run at 70. Probably won't make it, but a balmy Thanksgiving nonetheless.

I think the clouds are keeping it from hitting 80.  It’s ok.  Normally I’d be upset but I can wait for what comes next.  

22 hours ago, mappy said:

Visible/audible, noticed the flash outside when the power outage woke us up. 

That's amazing, you must be closer to our backyard then thought!

Same exact obs here.  We managed 0.22 in here.  One flash of lightning here.  Power went out a few times briefly and the final time it went out for approx 10 seconds.  About a min later there was a fairly bright flash.  I was awake because of alarms from the power failure.

I scrubbed video and found it.

Maybe we'll have thundersnow this winter.  If we can't have big totals, squalls with thundersnow go a long way for memorable events.  Lost geese really tack on the points! ;)

The warmth was nice, today the rest of the decorations go up and I like it to be a bit cooler.  Waiting for it to cool down too as it's much easier (for me anyways) to do tree work on the property.  Can't stand bucking logs when it's 80F out and sweating like a pig in full PPE.  I don't know how the utility guys do it.  I guess being 30 years younger then me helps.  But I refuse to be the guy on the porch in the rocking chair yelling at the cars hissing down the road! :P

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stormfly said:

That's amazing, you must be closer to our backyard then thought!

Same exact obs here.  We managed 0.22 in here.  One flash of lightning here.  Power went out a few times briefly and the final time it went out for approx 10 seconds.  About a min later there was a fairly bright flash.  I was awake because of alarms from the power failure.

I scrubbed video and found it.

Maybe we'll have thundersnow this winter.  If we can't have big totals, squalls with thundersnow go a long way for memorable events.  Lost geese really tack on the points! ;)

The warmth was nice, today the rest of the decorations go up and I like it to be a bit cooler.  Waiting for it to cool down too as it's much easier (for me anyways) to do tree work on the property.  Can't stand bucking logs when it's 80F out and sweating like a pig in full PPE.  I don't know how the utility guys do it.  I guess being 30 years younger then me helps.  But I refuse to be the guy on the porch in the rocking chair yelling at the cars hissing down the road! :P

I’m in far northern Balt Co, few miles south of the PA line

Interesting, I'm east of you and the power going off around the same time but just for a few seconds certainly isn't a local recloser incident.  Nor were there any weather (wind mainly) elements conducive to faults in distribution or subtransmission equipment.  No flashes (outside of lightning) were recorded by surveillance and photoamplification sensors (for meteors) which do in fact show positive when overhead faults occur within line of sight.  Always interesting on windy nights.

21 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Definitely some flurry chances Tuesday evening it looks like. West side of the high slopes could get something measurable with some luck perhaps. 

First flakes?  Please God just give me first flakes and not make them last flakes.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Yea..lots of strong vorticity coming through Tuesday with decent moisture at 850mb . Curious to see when mesos get in range.  Boundary temps won't be good but a moderate snow showers or squall would be fun .

That’s almost money in the bank for your location.  You’ll be reporting heavy flurries I would bet on Tuesday night.  

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Super nice day. 55 with a stiff breeze and blue skies.

I did a final low mow/mulching of the straggler leaves. Ready for that inch of snow with no grass blades sticking through. ^_^

yard.thumb.jpg.e1cc38b4a97bc5f673c7c193053df42f.jpg

Nice ambiance.  How do you keep the deer from eating the arborvitae?  We've lost more arborvitae than I can count to them vermin.  Even planted the "deer resistant" off-shoots.  Ha, scoff at the concept.  GD deer will eat about anything, so it seems.  Live less than a mile from the Vienna city limits and had nearly 20 in our back yard last week at the same time.  Like a bunch of Weight Watchers at an all you can eat smorgasbord as they mowed through.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, RDM said:

Nice ambiance.  How do you keep the deer from eating the arborvitae?  We've lost more arborvitae than I can count to them vermin.  Even planted the "deer resistant" off-shoots.  Ha, scoff at the concept.  GD deer will eat about anything, so it seems.  Live less than a mile from the Vienna city limits and had nearly 20 in our back yard last week at the same time.  Like a bunch of Weight Watchers at an all you can eat smorgasbord as they mowed through.  

Most of what I have is Holly and those are dwarf Alberta Spruce around the firepit. They don't bother with that stuff. They like the day lillies and sometimes the rose bushes. Not really a big nuisance here.

29 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Most of what I have is Holly and those are dwarf Alberta Spruce around the firepit. They don't bother with that stuff. They like the day lillies and sometimes the rose bushes. Not really a big nuisance here.

They kill my Lillie’s if I’m not diligent. Liquid fence keeps them off most everything 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic