Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November Discobs 2020

George BM

17 minutes ago, H2O said:

Like stinkbugs.  Bet we see a few of those in Jan when we torch

I usually see them all over the sunny side of the house in early Fall. Usually see them for weeks when the days are warm but getting shorter. I may have seen 5 total this year. Major difference.

Hopefully something in nature adapted or the farmers eradicated them with insecticide. I will know soon enough. I usually see plenty in the house during winter.

12 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I usually see them all over the sunny side of the house in early Fall. Usually see them for weeks when the days are warm but getting shorter. I may have seen 5 total this year. Major difference.

Hopefully something in nature adapted or the farmers eradicated them with insecticide. I will know soon enough. I usually see plenty in the house during winter.

From speaking with relatives who live south, over the years they have seen a major increase while ours have dwindled to almost nothing. I think we are seeing a migration.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

And @CAPE check around your dryer vent. Many times they cut a square hole for a round duct and don’t seal it. That’s where mine were getting in. Once sealed it almost eliminated them in the house.

They tend to get in up top. I actually sprayed the facia and the eaves/vents this year, and they didn't show up lol. I also wonder if they have been getting in at the ridge vent, because if they do, they are essentially in the house as I have no attic.

One good indicator is none have come in through the chimney. Usually when I open the door on the wood stove insert there are bunches in there, dead and alive. Opened it the other day and not a one.

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

They tend to get in up top. I actually sprayed the facia and the eaves/vents this year, and they didn't show up lol. I also wonder if they have been getting in at the ridge vent, because if they do, they are essentially in the house as I have no attic.

One good indicator is none have come in through the chimney. Usually when I open the door on the wood stove insert there are bunches in there, dead and alive. Opened it the other day and not a one.

That is a good sign

9 hours ago, CAPE said:

There actually is a "high" area east of town. Probably 60-70 feet, and the town is 30 or so. It's all relative on the eastern shore.

I think the highest spot on the eastern shore is north of Chestertown. 100 feet or so. Usually when you see elevations of over 100 feet, it's a landfill lol.

Is that the spot north of town where they built the Olive Garden, Chipotle, etc.?  I grew up in Salisbury 

1 hour ago, WEATHER53 said:

Is that the spot north of town where they built the Olive Garden, Chipotle, etc.?  I grew up in Salisbury 

It shows up on the MD Topo viewer: https://geodata.md.gov/topoviewer/ 

Not as dramatic as the fall line on the Western Shore, but it is noticeable from Trappe north, east of Rt. 50, as CAPE mentioned.

Also since this is discobs: low of 25.2, high of 51.3.

7 hours ago, H2O said:

Not very often you UHI more than me.  

You know my neighborhood a bit.  The elevation change from the water tower down to the WO&D is 100'.  On the clear/calm nights without cold air advection there is cold air drainage and I just can't get that low.  Could be worth at least 3 degrees over about a block.  That's why to always be wary of point measurements in heterogeneous terrain.

Pretty cool lidar elevation map from Fairfax Co.  https://lidar-fairfaxcountygis.opendata.arcgis.com/app/5d4d2187b01f4d62ba53787eea94496b

738670509_lidarelevation.thumb.jpg.e64babdc2c04af9d9a65a3f0564f951b.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

You know my neighborhood a bit.  The elevation change from the water tower down to the WO&D is 100'.  On the clear/calm nights without cold air advection there is cold air drainage and I just can't get that low.  Could be worth at least 3 degrees over about a block.  That's why to always be wary of point measurements in heterogeneous terrain.

Pretty cool lidar elevation map from Fairfax Co.  https://lidar-fairfaxcountygis.opendata.arcgis.com/app/5d4d2187b01f4d62ba53787eea94496b

738670509_lidarelevation.thumb.jpg.e64babdc2c04af9d9a65a3f0564f951b.jpg

Got one for Montgomery County?

thanks 

21 minutes ago, SnowtoRain said:

It shows up on the MD Topo viewer: https://geodata.md.gov/topoviewer/ 

Not as dramatic as the fall line on the Western Shore, but it is noticeable from Trappe north, east of Rt. 50, as CAPE mentioned.

Also since this is discobs: low of 25.2, high of 51.3.

Nice map too.  Sugarloaf really stands out as an oddity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WEATHER53 said:

Lapse rate at 70 feet is about 0.35F. Ever notice higher accumulations on the ridge ?

No lol. The microscale elevation differences don't factor in around here when it comes to snowfall. The interior/upper shore does better because that region is a bit further north, not close to either bay, and is far enough removed from the ocean influence for winter storms that take a favorable track. My yard is almost always colder than Easton, and  does better with snow esp in marginal events. I have been commuting to Easton for many years and it's interesting to see the bay influence locally, most notable during winter.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic