NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...

Warm/moist advection in southerly flow between high pressure
offshore and troughing over the Midwest is resulting in developing
rain across SW VA and WV as of early this morning. This rain will
expand and move northeastward across the remainder of N/Cntrl VA and
MD including the DC/Baltimore metro areas by about midday. The rain
will persist through much of the afternoon before the strongest
moisture advection ceases. PWs are progged to increase to nearly 2"
E of the Blue Ridge this PM, basically unheard of for mid-November.

A brief lull in the steadiest rain is likely late this afternoon
into early this evening, before lift from an approaching cold front
and a strengthening RRQ jet region pivot overhead. Surface
convergence will be enhanced by a wave of low pressure riding along
the front, with an axis of moderately heavy rain likely from W/Cntrl
VA in the DC metro. The north end of the heaviest rain may move as
far north as the cntrl Shenandoah Valley W of the Blue Ridge to near
I-70 E of the Catoctins in N MD; it depends how far north modest
elevated instability and the highest moisture content is able to get.

Rainfall totals are expected to range from around an inch over W MD
to 2-3 inches across N/Cntrl VA into Cntrl/S MD and the DC metro,
perhaps into Baltimore as well. Depending on how much of a gap there
is between the two rounds of rain and just how efficient heavier
showers/how high rainfall rates are particularly tonight will
dictate the extent of the flooding threat. Have opted to examine one
more cycle of model guidance and 12z RAOBS before pulling the
trigger on a Flood Watch, though it is likely one will be needed for
at least part of the area overnight tonight. Record high humidity
levels (per model climo) and potential training/repeated rounds of
moderately heavy rain along the slow-moving front aided by an upper
jet are favorable for flooding, though modest instability casts some
uncertainty in rainfall rates (note: 0z HREF depicts up to 1"/hr
possible near I-95 overnight). It has been drier than normal
recently, which also introduces a modest amount of uncertainty
particularly in the magnitude/areal extent of the flood threat.

The deeper moisture and forcing are forecast to pivot east of the
area by midday Thursday bringing an end to the steadiest rain.
However, with low-level moisture in place, intermittent light rain
and/or drizzle seem plausible before NW flow brings drier air and
chases out the last of the rain by day`s end.

A lot of rain. At least we had a decent dry period around here.

Veterans Day

A chance of showers and thunderstorms, then showers and possibly a thunderstorm after 2pm. Patchy fog before 9am. High near 76. South wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Tonight

Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Low around 62. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between 2 and 3 inches possible.

Thursday

Showers, mainly before 1pm. Temperature falling to around 58 by 5pm. North wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

2 hours ago, H2O said:

Looking forward to a cooler day even if it rains. Question. Has anyone else had most of their tree drop all their leaves in two days?  All of mine literally went from full to 50-75% empty in a day

Maples on my street all dumped last night.  

2 hours ago, H2O said:

Looking forward to a cooler day even if it rains. Question. Has anyone else had most of their tree drop all their leaves in two days?  All of mine literally went from full to 50-75% empty in a day

My silver maple dumped on Sun/Mon.  Amazing when that happens.

No precipitation in November until today.

2 hours ago, H2O said:

Lost a lot of leaves the past couple days here. I will have plenty of work after the rain, some wind, and by the time it all dries out enough for the blower to work well. Got about an hour in yesterday with super dry leaves when I got home but the sun goes down early these days.

14 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Lost a lot of leaves the past couple days here. I will have plenty of work after the rain, some wind, and by the time it all dries out enough for the blower to work well. Got about an hour in yesterday with super dry leaves when I got home but the sun goes down early these days.

Yup.  I feel like I'm keeping people awake....blowing leaves at 5:30 p.m.

• Like 2

The maples behind my house are all bare now.  It's funny watching the ginko street trees in parts of the neighborhood -- they turn bright yellow for a couple days then dump all their leaves literally in hours, even if clam weather.  They did this yesterday.

Steady rain starting to move in now and 66 degrees, which was basically the low temp.  I still have potted plants on the deck full of flowers.  Hard to believe we had a massive snowstorm 33 years ago today!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

The maples behind my house are all bare now.  It's funny watching the ginko street trees in parts of the neighborhood -- they turn bright yellow for a couple days then dump all their leaves literally in hours, even if clam weather.  They did this yesterday.

Steady rain starting to move in now and 66 degrees, which was basically the low temp.  I still have potted plants on the deck full of flowers.  Hard to believe we had a massive snowstorm 33 years ago today!

I'm 42 and that was probably my favorite storm so far. So much bright flashes of lightning and loud claps of thunder for hours alone with huge dumping snowflakes. I was in 3rd grade and remember it like yesterday. Got stuck in school until 10pm.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

I'm 42 and that was probably my favorite storm so far. So much bright flashes of lightning and loud claps of thunder for hours alone with huge dumping snowflakes. I was in 3rd grade and remember it like yesterday. Got stuck in school until 10pm.

What would you guesstimate the heaviest snowfall rates were at your location in inches/hr?

ETA: Also, congrats in advance on your rain jackpot over the next 24 hours.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, George BM said:

What would you guesstimate the heaviest snowfall rates were at your location in inches/hr?

ETA: Also, congrats in advance on your rain jackpot over the next 24 hours.

I've been in the rain jackpot for 6 months lol. 

I remember riding the bus to school that morning and it was cold and raining lightly. About half way to school I remember big snowflakes starting to mix in and come down heavier. By the time we got off the bus about 15 minutes later it was all snow and already starting to stick on grass and cars. That was probably about 8am. By 11 roads had caved and it was coming down probably 2+ inches per hour. I remember eating lunch in the cafeteria and hearing loud thunder and seeing flashes of lightning like a summer storm. I'd estimate it was snowing 3+ inches per hour at that point. That went on most of the afternoon. It finally ended around dark but by then we were stuck in school. Some kids had to stay all night. I remember measuring 16" when I got home that night. It fell in about 7 hours from i remember. We probably got a foot between 11am and 3pm along with intense lightning. It was an amazing storm. I've been a fan of  weather since I've been able to look out a window. 

• Like 1

Gator blades on the ZTR take care of the leaves.  Multiple passes.  Deck in highest position around maple fields, those are crazy!  Even so, sometimes have them over my feet up front!  But eventually they succumb and get sucked under the 60" deck and shredded.  Over and over until it's all nice and chopped up.  No windrows.  Good fertilizer. 

4 hours ago, dailylurker said:

I've been in the rain jackpot for 6 months lol. 

I remember riding the bus to school that morning and it was cold and raining lightly. About half way to school I remember big snowflakes starting to mix in and come down heavier. By the time we got off the bus about 15 minutes later it was all snow and already starting to stick on grass and cars. That was probably about 8am. By 11 roads had caved and it was coming down probably 2+ inches per hour. I remember eating lunch in the cafeteria and hearing loud thunder and seeing flashes of lightning like a summer storm. I'd estimate it was snowing 3+ inches per hour at that point. That went on most of the afternoon. It finally ended around dark but by then we were stuck in school. Some kids had to stay all night. I remember measuring 16" when I got home that night. It fell in about 7 hours from i remember. We probably got a foot between 11am and 3pm along with intense lightning. It was an amazing storm. I've been a fan of  weather since I've been able to look out a window. 

Wow what a story.  You were right in the jackpot!  I missed that one as I was at FSU.  My parents in Calvert told me about it.   

• Like 1

And the great thing about leaves in tiny pieces is that a week later you can hardly tell they were ever there. I would always mow inward and then back outward from the center. When most had fallen I’d go over the grad on a setting lower that summer height to get the grass good and low for the first snow.

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic