• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November Banter 2020

George BM

I used to work at an engine remanufacturing plant. We built a bunch of the 3.8L v6 engines. Quite a few of the 4.1L too. The latter had a huge bore- reminded me of the 400 small block. Not much meat between the inner cylinder walls and the water jacket. On the 400 the outside of the cyl walls were joined. The 252 v6 may have been that way too. Cracked cylinders were common on both.

In other news, the source of the COVID outbreak among the Ravens players and staff is a strength and conditioning coach who was not adhering to NFL protocols. 

As Tom Pelissero of the NFL Network outlines, a strength and conditioning coach for Baltimore didn’t report symptoms, consistently didn’t wear a mask or wear the contact tracing device the NFL mandates for all employees when they are in the buildings.

The Ravens have disciplined this employee, likely hoping to avoid further discipline form the NFL, but it might be too little too late. The league moved the Week 12 game from Thanksgiving night to Sunday at 1:15 p.m. ET, but with each passing day there are more Ravens’ players and personnel testing positive.

Will the game even be able to be played on Sunday? The NFL seems determined to get the game in regardless, but a lot can change, as fans have witnessed this week. 

The Steelers players need to stop pissing and moaning. Yo team is 10 and 0. Get over it.

As a Steelers fan, think it has more to do with how you practice during the week expecting a Thursday game, now they have to practice more/are off schedule. It also definitely sucks to be “punished” when others fail to follow restrictions, which it seems like the Ravens did. That said... definitely happy with the season so far! Little to complain about.

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

As a Steelers fan, think it has more to do with how you practice during the week expecting a Thursday game, now they have to practice more/are off schedule. It also definitely sucks to be “punished” when others fail to follow restrictions, which it seems like the Ravens did. That said... definitely happy with the season so far! Little to complain about.

In 2008 the Ravens had their bye week moved to week 2. They then had to play 18 weeks in a row before playing the Steelers in the AFC Championship game. I didn't see any Ravens players crying like little babies like the Steelers players are. 

3 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I get it but had the game been played today the Ravens would have had zero practice time on a short week, and been without 5 starters. Also the source of the outbreaks has been identified, and it was a strength coach. Not good, but it's not like one or more of the players were not complying.

• Like 2

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

Holy smokes another Steelers fan in here.  I agree on your points as well with Cape.  Steelers were forced to an early bye week because of the Titans and now the Ravens situation has cut another extended break with the game moved to Sunday.  Hard to complain about much but it would not have been a competitive game tonight with the amount of players/coaches out.  They should have moved the Packers/Niners game earlier this year as well. 

• Like 1

In 2008 the Ravens had their bye week moved to week 2. They then had to play 18 weeks in a row before playing the Steelers in the AFC Championship game. I didn't see any Ravens players crying like little babies like the Steelers players are. 

Maybe if they all had Twitter accounts back in 2008 they would’ve been, haha. Steelers also have already faced this issue with the Titans earlier this year and had their bye pushed to week 4, which is better than week 2, I’ll admit.

22 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Maybe if they all had Twitter accounts back in 2008 they would’ve been, haha. Steelers also have already faced this issue with the Titans earlier this year and had their bye pushed to week 4, which is better than week 2, I’ll admit.

Lol, probably true. 

3 hours ago, CAPE said:

I used to work at an engine remanufacturing plant. We built a bunch of the 3.8L v6 engines. Quite a few of the 4.1L too. The latter had a huge bore- reminded me of the 400 small block. Not much meat between the inner cylinder walls and the water jacket. On the 400 the outside of the cyl walls were joined. The 252 v6 may have been that way too. Cracked cylinders were common on both.

Can relate to the 400.  One of my best friends in HS had a Firebird with the 400 small block.  Warped heads were an issue too.  The larger bore took away stiffness in the block and made for smaller water jackets.  All meant meant too much heat.  Think he and his dad replaced the heads a couple of times.  They even put in a new short block too before Ohio winters and GM shoddy corrosion techniques of the time prompted the onset of cancer. 

Believe the 400 was the same block used on the 305, 327 and 350, which were all great engines.  Think the difference between the 350 and the 400 in the Firebird of the late 70's was only about 10 hp.  Hardly worth it.  Across the board, the era from 72 to the early 80's is forgettable wrt performance from the big 3 domestic manufacturers.  Of course, as losetoa6 can attest, the 3.8L turbo in the GNX really helped amp up the performance factor again, at least for GM.      

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RDM said:

Can relate to the 400.  One of my best friends in HS had a Firebird with the 400 small block.  Warped heads were an issue too.  The larger bore took away stiffness in the block and made for smaller water jackets.  All meant meant too much heat.  Think he and his dad replaced the heads a couple of times.  They even put in a new short block too before Ohio winters and GM shoddy corrosion techniques of the time prompted the onset of cancer. 

Believe the 400 was the same block used on the 305, 327 and 350, which were all great engines.  Think the difference between the 350 and the 400 in the Firebird of the late 70's was only about 10 hp.  Hardly worth it.  Across the board, the era from 72 to the early 80's is forgettable wrt performance from the big 3 domestic manufacturers.  Of course, as losetoa6 can attest, the 3.8L turbo in the GNX really helped amp up the performance factor again, at least for GM.      

Yep all the same block. That 4.125" bore on the 400 was really too big for that block. It was a terrible idea with the limited ability to remove the heat. We bored everything .040 over, or 60. or even 80 if necessary. We used to bore the 307 blocks (3.785" bore) to 4" to make a 350 lol. No one wanted a 307.

Just now, losetoa6 said:

Had a 84 Olds Cutlass Supreme with a 307 carb. It was ok off the line but a week mid range and top end . My 84 cougar with a FI 302 destroyed that 307 top end .

Yeah it was the worst of the SB chevy engines for performance. Relatively small bore/long stroke. The 283 was a rev machine with the 3" stroke. The 327 was my fav with a 4" bore and 3.25" stroke. Could easily get 350 hp out of it with the right cam and the big valve heads.

29 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Yeah it was the worst of the SB chevy engines for performance. Relatively small bore/long stroke. The 283 was a rev machine with the 3" stroke. The 327 was my fav with a 4" bore and 3.25" stroke. Could easily get 350 hp out of it with the right cam and the big valve heads.

Interesting tidbit...  My 62 Gravely walk behind mower uses the same piston, Delco starter and oil filter as a small block Chevy.  They are OEM components not something that just happens to fit.    

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic