Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November Banter 2020

George BM

32 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Ravens covid situation is a mess. They’ve disciplined an unnamed staff member who sounds like the Typhoid Mary of the group. Per Twitter, he did not report symptoms and didn’t wear a mask at the facility.

Game moved to Sunday, but a bunch of key players won’t be playing because of this. Many more cases in the coaching and support staff. 

If the investigation proves this to be true, fire his ass and blackball him from the NFL. This is inexcusable.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Welcome! As long as you don’t steal our snow you’re good. :P 

Hey 007 - who's snow are you talking about?  Ya'll up yonder in NE get more than your fair share.  (except last year, you were hurting too).  If you are speaking on behalf of us in the MA and trying to protect our measly allocation, appreciate the support.   (smile).  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RDM said:

Hey 007 - who's snow are you talking about?  Ya'll up yonder in NE get more than your fair share.  (except last year, you were hurting too).  If you are speaking on behalf of us in the MA and trying to protect our measly allocation, appreciate the support.   (smile).  

He is, I lived through the frustration last year, things will change this Winter though

21 minutes ago, RDM said:

Springfield?  You used to roam around Springfield, OH?  I grew up 11 miles west of there.  Spent a LOT of time in Springfield until I moved to NOVA in 85.  

Moved there after college from 1994-96. My daughter was born at Springfield North hospital in 1995. We lived right downtown and an easy 15 minutes down to Young’s... I was there for Ohio’s part of the blizzard of ‘96. Wasn’t supposed to be much and we backed into 14 inches . Not like it was over here but, the biggest positive bust I’ve ever been around. 

Just now, Solution Man said:

No chance brother

First, I see your Airborne patch - so thank you for your service to our country.  

Second, your mention of MO brought back a memory from my childhood.  In 1970 we drove from Ohio to Colorado Springs on I-70.  1200 miles one-way and my dad drove it non-stop with the 6 of us in the Buick Electra 225.  Back then, you could rive 90mph in Kansas and nobody cared. 

On the return trip, there was a big snow and ice storm IVO Kansas City, MO.  The snow was 12-18" deep with a crust of ice on top.  One of those events where you can walk on top of the crust.  A double trailer semi had jackknifed across east bound I-70 just east of KC.  Traffic was backed up for miles with post-Christmas traffic going home.  A trooper was passing by on the plowed shoulder and my dad finagled the ok to follow him to the front of the line to help (our dad was a volunteer fireman and paramedic for 50+ years).  We got up to the head of the backup near the semi and noticed everyone there was walking like they were on pins and needles.  As the trooper went to get out of his car he slipped on the glare ice.  His feet went about 3 feet in the air and my dad caught him just as he was about to hit the asphalt.  Yes, it was crazy slick out.  

After about 20 mins we noticed the traffic was no longer flowing on the west bound lanes of I-70.  Our dad came back to the car and told my older siblings and I to all to pay attention...  we were going to see something we'd never forget.  A few mins later two double axle snow plows came flying by driving east bound in the west bound lanes of I-70.  Don't know how fast they were going but they were hauling.  They had their plows raised in the air and as they passed us they angled for the median between the lanes of travel.  Snow when flying everywhere as they used their mass as momentum to go through the median to maneuver from the west bound lands over to the east bound lanes of I-70 on the other side of the jackknifed semi in front of us.  The trooper was standing next to my dad when it happened and he let out a "wow, it's so cool when they do that" as it was a common practice.  He told us it was too far to the next exit and would have taken too long for the plows to go around and come back.  

The two plows backed up to the semi, hooked up chains to the semi and simply slid it around on the ice to get it pointed in the right direction.  The semi driver got in and everyone went on their merry way.  The image of those two plows barreling through the median is something I'll never forget.  Happy Thanksgiving 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Moved there after college from 1994-96. My daughter was born at Springfield North hospital in 1995. We lived right downtown and an easy 15 minutes down to Young’s... I was there for Ohio’s part of the blizzard of ‘96. Wasn’t supposed to be much and we backed into 14 inches . Not like it was over here but, the biggest positive bust I’ve ever been around. 

Cool - Know Young's very well.  One of my sister's favorite places.  I grew up in New Carlisle.  Used to hang out at several spots in Spfld, to include the Upper Valley Mall, which is of course now closed.  

Glad you got some of the 96 event.  I was living in Japan then and missed it.  Too bad you missed The BIG One for Ohio, and that was the blizzard of 78.  Incredible experience to live through and to this day one for the record books.    

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

Didn’t miss that one - but I was in Cincinnati then and just seven. I remember it though - but cincy was just far enough south and west to miss the very worst of it. Still - school was closed for a week and a half and the drifts were crazy for just five inches of snow having fallen. 

Great that you remember it.  We were out of school in our area for a full 2 weeks.  You know how it is just North of Spfld in latitude (from Rt. 41 North).  It gets very flat and there is nothing to stop the wind.  Many roads in our area were drifted shut by the 70+mph winds for well over a week until they brought out the snow blowers from Dayton Airport and Wright Patterson AFB.  That was a sight to see - airport snow blowers driving down Main street in our little town.  

The thing that sicks out about the blizzard of 78 was the true flash freeze and the wind, which created white out conditions for 36+ hours.  Temps dropped 40+ degrees in a couple hours.  Our dad delivered several babies in the back of our town's 4x4 rescue truck.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

The temp drop I remember so clearly. 70s to freezing like nothing. Then the snow and the unreal wind. Up your way you all got way more snow to go with the wind. yeah? The picture of the drifts in your part of the state running north and east from there are all-timers. 

It was hard to say how much snow we got.  They say in our area it was between 12 -18" but it all drifted.  On one side of our house it was bare grass.  On the other the drifts were several feet hight.  It was a challenge even for our dad's Gravely with the snowblower.  

The night before the storm hit my dad and I were at the local private airport just outside New Carlisle working on an engine rebuild.  The official forecast still called for just snow showers the next day.  The driving rain was accompanied by a sudden drop in air pressure.  So much so our ears were popping.  My dad said something was afoot when he noticed how rapidly the pressure in the altimeter of our small plane was dropping.  Altimeters work off of air pressure, so if you know your altitude, you can determine the air pressure.  There were times we could adjust the altimeter every 2-3 minutes.  When my dad saw that he said we need to get going.  

When we arrived home a few minutes later my dad immediately starting calling the sheriff, his fellow fire fighters and the owner of a small farm implement dealer north of town.  He told them all to meet at the firehouse in town where they had a big meeting about an hour later.  They all thought our dad was nuts because it was still raining and a little breezy, but nothing major.  He told them about the pressure drop and said something special was going on.  They all went home, got supplies and the waited for it to hit.  The changeover was about 1am and by 6am people were already calling in with lost power, reports of people stranded etc.

Everyone used the firehouse as the ops center and went out in the areas outside our town to rescue stranded people in cars with a parade of vehicles.  Snowmobiles lead the way to survey the terrain for downed trees, power poles and ID cars encased in the snow so the following entourage didn't run into them and get stuck in the drifts.  Next went the a large Case loader with a 12 foot angled blade from the implement dealer with several 4wd Jeeps following.  The Case even had chains on and it got stuck a few times.  The crews would go out for a few hours and come back with the rescued people.  Everyone huddled in the firehouse until someone would offer to take them in.  We had a family of 6 who we didn't know before stay at our home for over a week and a farmer who stayed several days.  Half the fire department took in someone who they didn't know before.  That's what people did then because it's the right thing to do.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, toolsheds said:

96 was pretty good though...I remember driving down 30 past the light at 97 and almost 10 foot drifts from the wind blowing the snow across the empty fields. That was amazing. 

Hummm - how do you have two posts, both number 54?  Interesting.  

10 foot drifts would be great.  If we had wind about 20mph stronger in Jan 16 we would have had some 10' drifts around here.

7 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

96 was great for shear depth of snow . 30-32" imby . Wind and drifts were decent but 93 was mind blowing out in open areas . Even Feb 10,2010 was nice drifting especially along route 15 . 

Farmer friends of mine were legit trapped for days in 93. The wind didn't let up for days. 

Odd....I quotes the first one and then typed in the box at the bottom of the thread....maybe they were linked somehow? 

Maybe it's a good sign?

50 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

The Panic Room could use a guy like you. Ever thought of striking out as a defense contractor? Someone has to keep the inmates I mean customers on the up and up.

If not, let’s just hope the only fighting we’re doing this winter is of the snowball variety lol.

Happy Thanksgiving 

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493biaepw5k4346d2smhot

haha - funny video.  That snowball is as big as the victim.  That sort of experience can be traumatic for a 4 year old.  I was expecting to see a snowball about 3x the size clobber the dude in the blue jacket, but alas that was not to be.

I hope none of us have to visit the panic room this season, for anything.  Hope the lights in the room stay off so there's nary a glimmer of light under the crack at the bottom of the door's threshold.  That way from even a long distance off everyone can see the panic room is closed and shall remain so.  

Hell, if Jebman can stay optimistic from way out in Texas on our chances this year, we gotta muster the same on our end.  

• Like 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic