Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November Banter 2020

George BM

3 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Nice list. 5 names immediately come to mind that aren’t on your list.

Gretsky

Jenner

Iverson

Jeter

Moss

I know I am biased because I’m a Vikings fan, but I’ve never seen anything like Randy Moss. Absolute freak of nature.

I immediately thought of Moss and one extra...Deion Sanders

Any mention of a basketball player for this category must include Wilt Chamberlain.  Admit I never saw him play in person, but did see him on TV many times.  In his era, he was the most dominate player in the game.  There had never been anyone so dominating before him, and arguably since with such a profound impact on the game.  

In many ways the way Wilt changed the league was instrumental for those who came on his heals like Dr. J in the 70's and Michael in the 80's/90's.  Yes, Bill Russell won far more championships than Wilt (11 to 2) - because Boston had a stronger team/roster.  But Wilt had many rules changed and other new rules generated because of his domination of the league.  

Wilt is the only player in history to average 30 and 20 (pts and rebounds) for a season and he did it 7 times.  He did 7 times what no other player has ever done.  That stat alone should put him on the list somewhere.  

In the theme of dominating a single sport, yes - Phelps should be right up there.  There's another worth mentioning too, albeit he never got the notoriety he deserved and the mention of him may raise eyebrows.  That is Edwin Moses in the 400 meter hurdles.  He held the reigns of the 400 meter hurdle champion for longer than anyone in that event.  He won 120+ races in a row over a span of nearly 10 years.  Yes, Track & Field did not generate another honorable mention in the lists, and within T&F the 400 hurdles is an anomaly.  But it's also one of the hardest events in the sport.  A run of 120+ wins in a row over nearly 10 years w/o a loss is something to consider.  Lastly, Moses has degrees in Physics an Engineering.  Many of the others on the list couldn't even spell....   I digress.   

• Like 1

Just now, CAPE said:

He can't block or tackle either. Or make a contested catch. I'm sure if they draft another QB everything will fall in place though.

You can blame all the pieces around him too, that's fine. The Ravens have many holes. But Lamar's struggles started late last season and he hasn't improved at all.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

You can blame all the pieces around him too, that's fine. The Ravens have many holes. But Lamar's struggles started late last season and he hasn't improved at all.

He is not Mahomes. Never will be. I would like to see what he could do if  his receivers weren't all lilliputians who can only run a go route. Lol Hollywood Brown. They have one good TE and Snead. That's it. The Ravens went heavy on defense in the draft again, and have no clue how to find an impact receiver. Dez is it, I guess.

Meanwhile the  physical receivers for the Titans punished the Ravens defenders.

54 minutes ago, CAPE said:

He is not Mahomes. Never will be. I would like to see what he could do if  his receivers weren't all lilliputians who can only run a go route. Lol Hollywood Brown. They have one good TE and Snead. That's it. The Ravens went heavy on defense in the draft again, and have no clue how to find an impact receiver. Dez is it, I guess.

Meanwhile the  physical receivers for the Titans punished the Ravens defenders.

I hate to say this but i agree with Phin. LJ was beyond horrible today. NO NFL QB should miss that throw to Andrews in the 4th qtr., he was WIDE OPEN. It's just flat out inexcusable. He had Andrews wide open in the end zone for another TD and he threw it way too late. He just looks horrible and has looked that way since the Titans game last year in the playoffs. I think it's time to fire Harbaugh and Roman and draft another QB. 

41 minutes ago, ravensrule said:

I hate to say this but i agree with Phin. LJ was beyond horrible today. NO NFL QB should miss that throw to Andrews in the 4th qtr., he was WIDE OPEN. It's just flat out inexcusable. He had Andrews wide open in the end zone for another TD and he threw it way too late. He just looks horrible and has looked that way since the Titans game last year in the playoffs. I think it's time to fire Harbaugh and Roman and draft another QB. 

We're not gonna draft another QB after the current QB had an MVP season...so he's our QB, like it or not. We're not firing Harbaugh either...because the record doesn't warrant it. The thing is...last season still happened. It was less than a year ago. Stable organizations don't fire people or get rid of MVP QBs the year after....so that ain't happening.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

We're not gonna draft another QB after the current QB had an MVP season...so he's our QB, like it or not. We're not firing Harbaugh either...because the record doesn't warrant it. The thing is...last season still happened. It was less than a year ago. Stable organizations don't fire people or get rid of MVP QBs the year after....so that ain't happening.

Jackson will finish out is rookie deal. What happens beyond that remains to be seen. Roman is terrible, and he can go anytime now.The OL has been a mess all season, and the D has gone soft with a few key players out- although they have been a penalty machine all season. Maybe the Ravens have finally figured out that they should have added some weapons for Jackson. They traded Hurst and Boyle is gone for the year, so its glaring now- but it was clear at the end of last season they needed a legit number one receiver who can make a contested catch. Literally every other team has at least one.

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Jackson will finish out is rookie deal. What happens beyond that remains to be seen. Roman is terrible, and he can go anytime now.The OL has been a mess all season, and the D has gone soft with a few key players out- although they have been a penalty machine all season. Maybe the Ravens have finally figured out that they should have added some weapons for Jackson. They traded Hurst and Boyle is gone for the year, so its glaring now- but it was clear at the end of last season they needed a legit number one receiver who can make a contested catch. Literally every other team has at least one.

Absolutely agree about Roman--he needs to go NOW (hey, we fired an OC late season before, lol)...and I also pretty much agree with ya on our receiver situation. I think the only way this get saved is if Dez steps up and becomes something like a No. 1...

• Haha 1

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

Absolutely agree about Roman--he needs to go NOW (hey, we fired an OC late season before, lol)...and I also pretty much agree with ya on our receiver situation. I think the only way this get saved is if Dez steps up and becomes something like a No. 1...

This season is lost now more than likely. If the OL wasn't such a disaster, I think they could overcome the lack of a legit receiver and at least win a few of these games they always seem to lose. Getting Williams and Campbell back would help the suddenly soft run D, although Humphrey and Peters were completely overmatched today by- wait for it- the Titan's BIG, PHYSICAL RECEIVERS.

• Haha 1

Just now, CAPE said:

This season is lost now more than likely. If the OL wasn't such a disaster, I think they could overcome the lack of a legit receiver and at least win a few of these games they always seem to lose. Getting Williams and Campbell back would help the suddenly soft run D, although Humphrey and Peters were completely overmatched today by- wait for it- the Titan's BIG, PHYSICAL RECEIVERS.

I think the OL still has time to figure things out. Had a lot of shuffling around (I think today was one of several configurations we've started with this season). That is a chemistry thing...and that can work itself out. And it's not like Lamar isn't getting time to throw...So all it takes is for something Thursday to finally go right and keep us in this thing. We are at the point where one spark--in this case a big win on Thursday, and/or a possible firing of Roman, could make the difference. (Especially given the rest of our schedule)

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

I think the OL still has time to figure things out. Had a lot of shuffling around (I think today was one of several configurations we've started with this season). That is a chemistry thing...and that can work itself out. And it's not like Lamar isn't getting time to throw...So all it takes is for something Thursday to finally go right and keep us in this thing. We are at the point where one spark--in this case a big win on Thursday, and/or a possible firing of Roman, could make the difference. (Especially given the rest of our schedule)

They simply don't have enough talent on the interior of the line, no matter how much shuffling they do. At best, they can run block decently, but then they are subpar at pass blocking. And regardless of who is in there, they continue to have drive killing penalties. That run Jackson made later in the game should have been a first down- but there was no camera angle to overturn it. So, 3rd and one- no big deal. Except for another untimely false start penalty made it 3rd and 6. This stuff has been happening all season.

41 minutes ago, CAPE said:

They simply don't have enough talent on the interior of the line, no matter how much shuffling they do. At best, they can run block decently, but then they are subpar at pass blocking. And regardless of who is in there, they continue to have drive killing penalties. That run Jackson made later in the game should have been a first down- but there was no camera angle to overturn it. So, 3rd and one- no big deal. Except for another untimely false start penalty made it 3rd and 6. This stuff has been happening all season.

But what you just mentioned is one thing that is not unchangeable: those little mistakes, and those little things that have gone wrong. Suppose we finally get our heads together and not do those things...different result. It's like we are a few steps or a few plays away...this Thursday could be telling.

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Three glaring plays that probably made the difference.

1 - The andrews false start you mentioned. He wasnt even part of the play. Mental mistake.

2 - The center quick snap / false start where it looked like they probably had a TD and at worst a first down. Settled for FG. Mental mistake.

3 - Terrible deep pass on first down. Bad throw on LJ and bad catch attempt on the WR. Also add poor play call when they were leading and driving the ball on the ground. 

The defense is injured and beat up. That being said they looked really soft at times. Peters has looked terrible last couple games. The 3-n-outs aren't helping them either. 

I'm not sure if LJ has messed with his head or the coaches have messed with his head. He doesn't look decisive. His mechanics look poor. His running not as crisp. Its a head scratcher for sure.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic