Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November Banter 2020

George BM

On 11/17/2020 at 9:03 PM, Always in Zugzwang said:

OK, to throw another hypothetical out there.  In your "ideal" winter, pick 3 HECS-level storms that you would want to occur during that season.  For instance, pick from (just throwing some out there that I'm familiar with offhand, no particular order, there are surely others...)

(1) Feb. 1979 PD-1

(2) Feb. 1983 "Megalopolitan Storm"

(3) Jan. 1996

(4) Feb. 16-17, 2003 PD-2

(5) Feb. 5-6, 2010

(6) Feb. 9-10, 2010

(7) Dec. 18-19, 2009

(8) Jan. 22-23, 2016

I think I'd go with 5, 7, 8 myself.  But they're all great!

AND, for a bonus.  What MODERATE level events would you like to have, if you could pick 3 to occur in a winter?...too many to list, probably, and I'm sure I don't remember them all.  But offhand I'll state (in no order)...Jan. 30, 2010, Feb. 11-12, 2014, Mar. 16-17, 2014.  Mar. 5, 2015 would be close, too, and maybe should be on my list.

I'll order number 1, 2 and 5... for the rates. Seeing 4-6"+/hr snowfall rates for hours would something special to experience. 

18 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

OK, so let's go the other way...

(1) A winter like last year, with one really small event that you would have missed if you sneezed.  But with the enticing prospect of perhaps *something* on the horizon and even some cold air incursions to give a winter feel.

or

(2) An all-out true shutout, where it's late fall most every day and really no chance of any event at all.  Oh, and even with the warmth, no mosquitos as the crisp nighttime temperatures would have killed them off at least!

Definitely number 2. I'm probably one of 5-10 people on this subforum who's actually been hoping for a complete shutout with warmth all winter this season. It's been known for a very long time that median snow totals are the best that snowlovers can reasonably hope for. With the La Nina and the potential of a stronger PV we should go for the record least snowfall. A repeat of the February 7th mini-tornado outbreak would be awesome! All that being said, if it becomes clear that a significant snow event is in the cards in the shorter range and rates look like they will be on the epic side (See my posts about December 19th) I'll root for it. 

Good morning.

Gotta admit...I've never been so disinterested in/unconcerned with long-range winter outlooks than I am this year. It just feels like the new regime we're in means that we can't rely on so many of the lessons learned in the last 50 years. Interesting exercise for the long-rangers, no doubt, but I just can't get into worrying about it.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Gotta admit...I've never been so disinterested in/unconcerned with long-range winter outlooks than I am this year. It just feels like the new regime we're in means that we can't rely on so many of the lessons learned in the last 50 years. Interesting exercise for the long-rangers, no doubt, but I just can't get into worrying about it.

Its def been a couple years now where what gets modeled and what actually happens seems to be 180 degrees different.  And it makes the need to look and follow that stuff less interesting.  Climo is changing and what used to be isn't as reliable to predict the future.  New norms are yet to be established and LR forecasting will struggle with that.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I have to agree 100 percent with your viewpoint. Then throw in the constant doom and gloom narrative that dominates the tone in here really makes me care even less. 

• Like 2

question... I have an offer with a systems integrator with NOAA as a software engineer but it is a huge pay cut.. here is a small snippet:

This is a cornerstone application for the National Weather Service (NWS) for areas within National
Oceanic Atmospheric Association (NOAA). It is the core application that the NWS uses to track all major
weather developments; hurricanes, tornados, flooding, tsunami\'s in order to watch and warn the
public.

I am really torn. this is the third time they tried to hire me.. and I always say no... this would be a dream job for me.. I dont know what to do...

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

I'm not very good at this kind of stuff but here it goes . Many on here have noticed @showmethesnowhasn't posted since spring in here . I for one really hope he returns to posting this winter season. I personally miss his 4am - 5am daily analysis. The dude has a incredible way of putting his thought analysis on paper in a very organized, very well thought out way making it very easy ..especially for the layman to follow and understand. Equally good if not better  then probably anyone here... and there are some incredibly smart posters on here . Most likely all or mostly self taught over the years. The amount of his own time ( sometimes toooo much lol - they get a tad long:whistle:) he puts into his many detailed  analysis is really greatly appreciated by me and I'm sure by many other posters (and lurkers ). I think the guy missed his calling.. really. He should have been a MET teacher of some sort . He was and is a welcome fixture to these boards . And like others on here I consider him a friend.

Alright..back to weather...

Couldn’t agree more. I hate you but he’s super cool. If he haunts this place at all, I hope that he sees your post and decides to post his thoughts, banter with the peeps he likes, and puts the others on ignore. 

edited, but glad that you got a chuckle. I really miss his early AM thoughts, because like you and @CAPE, I’m up early. Reading his essays was always the way I started my morning,

another edit, but @mitchnick too,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Couldn’t agree more. I hate you but he’s super cool. If he haunts this place at all, I hope that he sees your post and decides to post his thoughts, banter with the peeps he likes, and puts the others on ignore. 

edited, but glad that you got a chuckle. I really miss his early AM thoughts, because like you and @CAPE, I’m up early. Reading his essays was always the way I started my morning,

I also hope he returns. He and I would often ninja each other with similar posts at 5am, although his were much more detailed(long winded :lol:)than mine.

I believe he may be staying away because of some covid discussion way back in May, where it got a tad political, and he completely misinterpreted a post by psuhoffman, and made a detailed, ranting post that was simply wrong by any objective measure. We all make mistakes, and I hope he comes back, as he seems like a good guy and has been a valuable contributor here.

• Like 3

I’m sitting in front of the fire with a Friday evening drink listening to some Christmas music, and I thought of a “would you rather” question.

Would you rather have a three week period before Christmas be cold with snow cover only to give way to a balmy 55 degree Christmas, or a mild two weeks leading up to Christmas and then a cold powder snow Christmas Day?

For @WinterWxLuvr, this is kind of a 1989 question, but no promises on the remainder of winter.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I’m sitting in front of the fire with a Friday evening drink listening to some Christmas music, and I thought of a “would you rather” question.

Would you rather have a three week period before Christmas be cold with snow cover only to give way to a balmy 55 degree Christmas, or a mild two weeks leading up to Christmas and then a cold powder Christmas Day?

For @WinterWxLuvr, this is kind of a 1989 question.

I came home and my refrigerator had died. Looks like the mother board is fried. I had to scramble to get it cleaned out and deal with the frozen stuff. As for the beer, I am well into it now. Including a 120. I haven't been legit drunk for a long time, but well on my way now lol. Hopefully I can get a good Black Friday deal at Lowes or Home Depot.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Would you rather have a three week period before Christmas be cold with snow cover only to give way to a balmy 55 degree Christmas, or a mild two weeks leading up to Christmas and then a cold powder snow Christmas Day?

For @WinterWxLuvr, this is kind of a 1989 question, but no promises on the remainder of winter.

Fully on board with Christmas music/decorations already given the shitty year.  

Mild two weeks and cold power snow Christmas Day of course!

Cheers!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I came home and my refrigerator had died. Looks like the mother board is fried. I had to scramble to get it cleaned out and deal with the frozen stuff. As for the beer, I am well into it now. Including a 120. I haven't been legit drunk for a long time, but well on my way now lol. Hopefully I can get a good Black Friday deal at Lowes or Home Depot.

That sucks, though I’m sure the beer won’t be wasted. Let me know if you need a socially distant drinking buddy to keep you entertained.

EBC6DE13-54B2-495E-BDF4-028DBAC37403.gif.672bb8a1c4b93c2ecae98dea31560a46.gif

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Fully on board with Christmas music/decorations already given the shitty year.  

Mild two weeks and cold power snow Christmas Day of course!

Cheers!

It’s pretty amazing how many Christmas decorations I’ve seen in the neighborhood already. I think everyone is resigning themselves to being home bound, so why not make it feel homey. I’m also all for it. 

I was looking today at getting led C9 lights for my old house. There’s a site online that has the led’s that the reviews say look realistic. I just need a leg lamp in the front window.

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Three weeks of snow for sure.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic