Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November Banter 2020

George BM

1 hour ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

I'd choose that one as well.  Tough, but still, 2013-14 was gate-to-gate winter pretty much.  No HECS, but several moderate events.  When even @Bob Chill says he was exhausted and nearly tired of tracking at the end, you know it was a good winter!  And it snowed on my birthday in late March, so that wins for me!  Don't get me wrong, I loved 2002-03 of course especially as it came on the heels of a winter (2001-02) that totally sucked around here so it was a refreshing change.

anyone know if he is okay? his last post was a little before the pandemic turned this country upside down. 

42 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Anyone else watch Schitt’s Creek?  Took me a few tries to ‘get it’ but its one of the best comedies out there.  I’ve been re-watching random episodes since I’m done with the series.

It is a bit of an acquired taste, but once you get the hang of it, it is very funny.  The writing and acting are excellent.  It definitely is a series that you can re-watch to catch all of the humor and social commentary.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Oh...my!  Channeling your inner @ravensrule?? :lol:

How are you doing, friend?  Hope all is well in mappyland!!!

(or is it mappyville, mappystan, mappyopolis...?)

Ha, we are all doing as well as we can. hope you and the family are well too

5 hours ago, ravensrule said:

I have taught her too well. 

:ph34r:

7 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

quick poll.. if schools are closed for snow.. should the kids get a snow day even if they are virtual?

if anyone answers no they should't be here ;)

No

Here, all snow days 1-5 are made up. After that it’s every other day. Giving them a snow day only takes away a summer day.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Here's another one:

(1) The February 5-6, 2010 storm ("Snowmageddon")

or

(2) The Jan. 22-23, 2016 blizzard

Now...before choosing, consider these storms in isolation.  That is, ignore that the Feb. 2010 storm occurred in an epic record-breaking year and was followed 5 days later with another event.  And, ignore that the Jan. 2016 blizzard was a "one and done" storm that winter, and that it warmed up shortly after it ended.  Just think of the epic-ness of each by itself.  Maybe not possible or appropriate to try and do that, but just throwing that out there.

And while I'm at it, let me add a 3rd choice to that list...

(3) Dec. 18-19, 2009 (the storm that seems to get "lost" almost, with the focus on that winter so much on the February storms and the late January event right before that)

Personally, I kind of waver between the Feb. 2010 and Dec. 2009 storms, but man, what a tough choice between those!  Can I just take them all? :D

#3 was great for me and I'd take it again for several reasons:

• Right before Christmas.
  • Classic ''cold powder''...minimal mixing issues.
  • See first bullet.

• Like 1

OK, so let's go the other way...

(1) A winter like last year, with one really small event that you would have missed if you sneezed.  But with the enticing prospect of perhaps *something* on the horizon and even some cold air incursions to give a winter feel.

or

(2) An all-out true shutout, where it's late fall most every day and really no chance of any event at all.  Oh, and even with the warmth, no mosquitos as the crisp nighttime temperatures would have killed them off at least!

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I’d trade a summer day for a snow day. That’s just me. 

Ok...

Would you prefer:

1) A foot of cold powder snow

or

2) A foot of paste (heavy wet snow)

#2- Paste bomb- because it looks prettier sticking to trees, is easier for making a snowman and the snowballs it makes are deadly :devilsmiley:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

No

Here, all snow days 1-5 are made up. After that it’s every other day. Giving them a snow day only takes away a summer day.

And you should be banned... lol just kidding.. snow days are why I am here.. I used to get up in front of my 6th grade class and give weather forecasts when it was going to snow.. snow days are part of the mystical draw of snow :)

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Ok, I want 80”.

9 - 5” snows spread evenly - 45”

2 - 7.5” snows Dec and Feb

1 - 20” snow Jan

Is there enough magic in the moonlight for you to make that happen Ray Kinsella?

I absolutely prefer the big one over several significant storms.. their is something about "making history" that makes the HECS events special.. the build up is always better than the actual event.. the tracking on the big ones gives me something to look forward to.. sometimes when they are over.. I actually have a little bit of an emotional hangover.

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Put another way, would you 

1) Prefer to have an eyeball removed with a screwdriver 

or

2) Prefer to have your thumbs sawed off by a chainsaw

or, which is probably the worst option of them all

3) Have your eyes glued open while Ji “narrates” a snow event

“The rates are ok (it’s 2”/hr) but we just don’t get real storms here anymore.” 

A Clockwork Orange Eyes Open GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 40westwx said:

I absolutely prefer the big one over several significant storms.. their is something about "making history" that makes the HECS events special.. the build up is always better than the actual event.. the tracking on the big ones gives me something to look forward to.. sometimes when they are over.. I actually have a little bit of an emotional hangover.

Kinda agree, in general...as long as it's not a "one and done" kind of deal, if the rest of winter is at least OK too.  You're right, there's nothing like a HECS, tracking it days in advance and then experiencing it as it occurs!  For instance, the excitement before the Jan. 2016 blizzard was awesome, almost better than the storm itself (well, I won't go that far!).  A week out, the Saturday before it hit, all the models locked onto something significant.  It was just a matter of refining the details after that.  I got almost nothing done that week leading into it, awaiting the latest guidance each cycle.  And then...zero hour and the storm began!  Similar feeling for the other HECS events I have experienced in my time here over the years.

That said, a winter like 2013-14 was quite something to behold, even as it lacked an actual HECS.

21 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Hello Mrs. J!!  I hope you are well!  That's cool...snowing!!!  I've heard there are some good snow showers going on in my home town up in northeast Ohio.

Doing quite well. How are you doing?
Not quite ready for the snow here. But it is getting close to that time. 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 12:48 PM, mappy said:

andy told me you were going to use him -- glad he helped you out too!

speaking of, now that we have working electrical up front again, i've been internet shopping christmas decorations :D 

It’s addictive. Stop now. ;)

On 11/17/2020 at 2:47 PM, losetoa6 said:

Glad I could help!  Even Virginians need power :lightning:  . It was great meeting you Crump .You're a cool dude . Also ...Good luck with the 756 Led light up lawn  deer.

Tom has found his outdoor home. Again, ty!

A8556AD7-44B5-466F-B9F1-DBB12CE4F4BA.thumb.jpeg.fcf5771dd712ffab9227a36e8521d3aa.jpeg

• Like 7

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic