Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November Banter 2020

George BM

6 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Ya killin' me here. (No pun intended, reaper.)

Given the rarity of December snow in these parts, and the romantic nature of it, I would have to go with (1). Tough one! :yikes:

These are tough. I think I’d also go with Xmas. Haven’t ever experienced that in Maryland. As for the first question, it’s basically a super 13-14 winter vs super 15-16. Think I’d go with 13-14.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Best of both worlds. The joy of a huge snowfall followed by a massive surge of Panic Room rentals in the weeks afterward. I don’t like the lack of mask wearing here. We will be very strict. 

21xz1o.jpg

Caution WW, from an old Consigliere, masks only cover some of the holes. Too many other entry points available in the above crowd. As always ....

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

These are tough. I think I’d also go with Xmas. Haven’t ever experienced that in Maryland. As for the first question, it’s basically a super 13-14 winter vs super 15-16. Think I’d go with 13-14.

Yeah we have had leftover slushy slop on the ground, and snow a day or so later, but not any cases of a legit white xmas in my lifetime.

I would defo take 13-14 over 15-16.The latter was a wretched torch winter with basically one week of legit winter and a big score. Epic tracking period but it was 60 degrees a few days later. I like to get out and enjoy it and it was sloppy muck before I could. Blah.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Ok next question. 

Would you take:

1) A 5” snowstorm Christmas Eve-Christmas Day

or 

2) A top 3 January Blizzard 

Are these questions part of the “still alive” interview for room admission. If so, I hope there is a video record. As always ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It’s time for the GREAT debate. 

Would you take 3x climo snowfall in one epic blizzard followed by nothing; OR

3x climo snowfall spread out in numerous small and moderate events from December to March. No warning level snowfall events. 

29 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Ok next question. 

Would you take:

or 

Way to take my snarky post from earlier and turn it into a serious discussion...damn you!  Joke's on me!! :P

As for your second question, Christmas snow vs. top 3 January blizzard...oh my!  Where do you come up with these?  Just...diabolical!  Can I phone a friend to get the answer?  But, with no knowledge of how the entire winter would be, I'll just assume a good one overall for both scenarios, I'd just barely have to go with the January blizzard idea!  And as long as Christmas Eve/Day is not like it was in 2015, hazy and damn near uncomfortably humid!  A crisp, cold Holiday is nice (even without any snow), with the prospects looking good heading into the New Year!

So here's a question then, if I may:

(1) Re-live winter 2002-03 with the PD-II storm of course

or

(2) Re-live winter 2013-14

Or, how about this:

(1) Listen to Ji complain how winter 2009-10 ended after the Feb. 9-10 blizzard, thus it wasn't as good as it could have been

or

(2) In a sucky winter, having Ji cancel winter several times

(all in fun, sorry @Ji!!)

Is the Reaper stumped?  Nahhhhh, not possible!

Best of both worlds. The joy of a huge snowfall followed by a massive surge of Panic Room rentals in the weeks afterward. I don’t like the lack of mask wearing here. We will be very strict. 

21xz1o.jpg

Looks like some kind of frat keg party at the Panic Room!  And yeah, no masks??? WTF???  I'm sure you will be very strict, making sure everyone's temperature is no more than room temperature of course!

5 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

3x climo snowfall spread out in numerous small and moderate events from December to March. No warning level snowfall events. 

I did this poll years ago. I prefer the one epic blizzard, but the majority of the forum voted for the numerous small/moderate storms option.

• Like 1

Ok next question. 

Would you take:

or 

Xmas snow 

Ok...

Would you rather:

1) A mauling progressive system bringing 6 hours of 2”/hr snowfall 

or

2) A long duration 24 hour event with the same 12” snow total 

Def number one. 

53 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

1)   1 hour of 6"/hr rates total whiteout 

OR

2)  12 hours of 1"/hr rates 

This is a tough one for me 

Oh man, def one. That’d be one hell of a deathband id wanna experience 

• Like 1

I loved 2013-14 so I’d choose that easily. I’d also take option 1 for the second question because I’d know we had an epic season lol.

I'd choose that one as well.  Tough, but still, 2013-14 was gate-to-gate winter pretty much.  No HECS, but several moderate events.  When even @Bob Chill says he was exhausted and nearly tired of tracking at the end, you know it was a good winter!  And it snowed on my birthday in late March, so that wins for me!  Don't get me wrong, I loved 2002-03 of course especially as it came on the heels of a winter (2001-02) that totally sucked around here so it was a refreshing change.

• Like 1

To all who chose a Christmas moderate snow over a January top-3 blizzard...I totally get that in this year, 2020, as many have said.  I personally said I'd take the epic Jan. blizzard (assuming the rest of the winter was good too, and not a one-and-done!).  But the way this year has been, I have to give a hat-tip at least to the sentiment that a good snowfall around here for the Holidays would soothe a lot of the negative aspects of this year, for sure.

Ok...

Would you rather:

or

I'd definitely take #1 on that.  Essentially what we got for Commutageddon in Jan. 2011.  Just colder temperatures so it doesn't damn near melt right away and it sticks immediately!

Here's another one:

(1) The February 5-6, 2010 storm ("Snowmageddon")

or

(2) The Jan. 22-23, 2016 blizzard

Now...before choosing, consider these storms in isolation.  That is, ignore that the Feb. 2010 storm occurred in an epic record-breaking year and was followed 5 days later with another event.  And, ignore that the Jan. 2016 blizzard was a "one and done" storm that winter, and that it warmed up shortly after it ended.  Just think of the epic-ness of each by itself.  Maybe not possible or appropriate to try and do that, but just throwing that out there.

And while I'm at it, let me add a 3rd choice to that list...

(3) Dec. 18-19, 2009 (the storm that seems to get "lost" almost, with the focus on that winter so much on the February storms and the late January event right before that)

Personally, I kind of waver between the Feb. 2010 and Dec. 2009 storms, but man, what a tough choice between those!  Can I just take them all? :D

OK, to throw another hypothetical out there.  In your "ideal" winter, pick 3 HECS-level storms that you would want to occur during that season.  For instance, pick from (just throwing some out there that I'm familiar with offhand, no particular order, there are surely others...)

(1) Feb. 1979 PD-1

(2) Feb. 1983 "Megalopolitan Storm"

(3) Jan. 1996

(4) Feb. 16-17, 2003 PD-2

(5) Feb. 5-6, 2010

(6) Feb. 9-10, 2010

(7) Dec. 18-19, 2009

(8) Jan. 22-23, 2016

I think I'd go with 5, 7, 8 myself.  But they're all great!

AND, for a bonus.  What MODERATE level events would you like to have, if you could pick 3 to occur in a winter?...too many to list, probably, and I'm sure I don't remember them all.  But offhand I'll state (in no order)...Jan. 30, 2010, Feb. 11-12, 2014, Mar. 16-17, 2014.  Mar. 5, 2015 would be close, too, and maybe should be on my list.

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

I remember 83'... rates seemed incredible but I was just a dumb 3rd 0r 4th grader . So don't know the exact rates but kocin books show several 3-5" /hr rates in SE Pa and Baltimore- up to NE Md 

There might have been a report in Allentown, Pa of 6"+ but I'll have to double check. 

I was a senior in high school here in Lancaster county during the '83 blizzard ...I recorded 5" of snow between 4pm and 5pm on 2/12/83. That was the heaviest hourly total I've witnessed in my 55 years. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Location probably matters...for me 3x climo would be ~120”.  And while that would be awesome no matter which option I’ve seen a 103” winter up here already so that’s a storm I couldn’t pass up and 120” isn’t melting fast up here either!  

• Like 2

Ok...

Would you rather:

or

The ol deuce

2 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

1)   1 hour of 6"/hr rates total whiteout 

OR

2)  12 hours of 1"/hr rates 

This is a tough one for me 

Three dog night sang it best. One. 

ive had 1”/hr rates and thanks to temps ended up with not 12”. So in your hypo the 6”/hr is gonna crush the ground temps and I just want to see that once

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic