• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November Banter 2020

George BM

We all know that just stepping out of our house increases our risks.  Vending machines are a bigger risk.  The main issue is that again, you don't have millions of people getting hurt by vending machines and swamping our hospitals.  THATS the reason.  Thats it.  You swamp the hospitals then people who have other serious illnesses or injuries won't get treatment.  There's no nefarious plot and when people start going "I wonder" then they have given up on using reason, science, logic.  

If I am presented facts and evidence about this crisis I regard it the same as the facts and science that gives me warmer air during storms and how I microclimate my way to shitty snow totals.  There isn't a nefarious plot by corn dust people and angle of the cold being screwed up by more cars on the road.

I'll let it go as well but I just wish we all could rally together to do whats needed to get over this.  Its for the better good.  You might not like it but its to help your neighbor, your relatives, your friends.  Is that so hard? 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Wearing masks and socially distancing minimizes the risk. Until a vaccine is widely available, and even beyond, science says this is a simple, effective, and selfless measure we can all take to minimize spread. This is what we got, and all protocols should emanate from this.

I mean, I dont like wearing pants when I go out and about, but I am forced to by the man. The whole resistance to masks is something I will never understand. I think it has become some sort of passive aggressive form of protest, but in this case it is risking lives and adds to the burden on our overworked health care professionals. 

Whenever I think my life is hard or feel like complaining, I think of all of the people who are going out every day to help others. Their mental and physical health is what concerns me. Anything I can do to help them (ie do as much as possible to stay isolated) I will.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, H2O said:

We all know that just stepping out of our house increases our risks.  Vending machines are a bigger risk.  The main issue is that again, you don't have millions of people getting hurt by vending machines and swamping our hospitals.  THATS the reason.  Thats it.  You swamp the hospitals then people who have other serious illnesses or injuries won't get treatment.  There's no nefarious plot and when people start going "I wonder" then they have given up on using reason, science, logic.  

If I am presented facts and evidence about this crisis I regard it the same as the facts and science that gives me warmer air during storms and how I microclimate my way to shitty snow totals.  There isn't a nefarious plot by corn dust people and angle of the cold being screwed up by more cars on the road.

I'll let it go as well but I just wish we all could rally together to do whats needed to get over this.  Its for the better good.  You might not like it but its to help your neighbor, your relatives, your friends.  Is that so hard? 

Truth vs. truthiness.  It can be quite the struggle for some.

I can say I prefer the truthiness when it comes to snow in my yard. :(

30 minutes ago, H2O said:

We all know that just stepping out of our house increases our risks.  Vending machines are a bigger risk.  The main issue is that again, you don't have millions of people getting hurt by vending machines and swamping our hospitals.

Not so sure about that last sentence...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I don’t think that those of us who think the reaction to this virus has been, for lack of a better word, dubious, are necessarily crazy. We just have a different opinion. Not subscribing to “group think” is not wrong, but is necessary to maintain a free society.

I thought the poster made a couple of good points. We are entering the cold season, the season in which viruses tend to run wild. This surge shouldn’t have been unexpected. The other point is that we aren’t in control. We think we are, but we aren’t. We live in a natural world and that world brings hazards. Live with them, die with them. It’s the way it is.

If you read the statistics published by the CDC, all of us in all age groups are far more at risk of death from other things. For school age children they are literally about 99% more at risk from something, anything else than they are from this. So wonder why out of all the risks out there, this is the one being focused on? I wonder. 

Whatever, I’m done with it. Just wanted to throw it out there.

I don’t think anyone thought your comments have been in appropriate or crazy. But some people are going too far. And it would be the same on the left. If some leftist started spouting about revolution they would get censored right quick too. Extreme is extreme and that’s not what this board is for.  I’ve had my own comments about gun control and other topics deleted when it drifted too far into politics. 

Since I have some inside knowledge I’ll add something regarding the school opening calculus. The factors schools are weighing are not primarily the health of the students. We know that are likely to be ok except in cases of extremely immune compromised children. But schools have to weigh the risk to the staff and the risk the students bring home covid and expose relatives and others in the community. We don’t have a lot of conclusive data on the former but we have had enough cases of faculty becoming ill and unfortunately passing away from exposure as schools to know that is a very real risk. Just in my department alone we have 3 teachers who have filed FMLA and won’t be back due to health risks until their doctor approves it. There is no way my dept can function down 3 teachers. We’re already short staffed and have large classes.  I know my sons classes are being taught over a projector because his teacher has a health risk and can’t come in. So they have an aid babysitting the class while they watch on a projector. I don’t see how that is really better. I am not saying we shouldn’t open schools. I’ll let everyone make that determination themselves. But the calculations schools are making aren’t the ones I see being discussed here where most of the talk is of the students health when that isn’t the primary reason schools are closed. 

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, mdhokie said:

I mean, I dont like wearing pants when I go out and about, but I am forced to by the man. The whole resistance to masks is something I will never understand. I think it has become some sort of passive aggressive form of protest, but in this case it is risking lives and adds to the burden on our overworked health care professionals. 

Whenever I think my life is hard or feel like complaining, I think of all of the people who are going out every day to help others. Their mental and physical health is what concerns me. Anything I can do to help them (ie do as much as possible to stay isolated) I will.

I am still trying to wrap my head around how wearing a mask to help prevent the spread of COVID became political. Or worse the people that equate mask wearing with Nazi Germany.

I wear one on the rare times I go out because I want to NOT wear one all of next year. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FXW176 said:

Niiice, that was good too.

Completely off topic of horrible flicks, major props to @losetoa6 today. Helped me out big time with Operation Deer. Def rec his services. Pic of Tom the Turkey to follow once these winds die down. :)

andy told me you were going to use him -- glad he helped you out too!

speaking of, now that we have working electrical up front again, i've been internet shopping christmas decorations :D 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mappy said:

andy told me you were going to use him -- glad he helped you out too!

speaking of, now that we have working electrical up front again, i've been internet shopping christmas decorations :D 

Thought you were gonna troll me over the old movies.    Oh wait, I just did that myself.

5 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It’s time for the GREAT debate. 

Would you take 3x climo snowfall in one epic blizzard followed by nothing; OR

3x climo snowfall spread out in numerous small and moderate events from December to March. No warning level snowfall events. 

option 2..snow falling is the fun for me

28 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

3x climo snowfall spread out in numerous small and moderate events from December to March. No warning level snowfall events. 

I'll take option A.  A 400+ inch blizzard would be amazing!

• Haha 4
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

3x climo blizzard for me would be about 5’ of snow.  No way I would pass that up.  How long does it stick around though?   If it’s gone within a few days that might change things.  

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Hmmm, tough one!  Make the second option have a couple of moderate warning-level events (not necessarily double-digit), and I'd go for that one without question!  Would be similar to 2013-14 in that regard.  But even without that, I guess it would imply snow cover that sticks around for awhile (and persistent cold) and you just add to it.  I can live with several 1-3", 2-4", 3-5" type snows if that were the case!

5 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Ok next question. 

Would you take:

1) A 5” snowstorm Christmas Eve-Christmas Day

or 

2) A top 3 January Blizzard 

Ya killin' me here. (No pun intended, reaper.)

Given the rarity of December snow in these parts, and the romantic nature of it, I would have to go with (1). Tough one! :yikes:

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic