Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November Banter 2020

George BM

52 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

They should just call it day and reopen everything.. we have over a million confirmed cases per week.. is anyone actually taking this seriously anymore?

In other news.. someone came up with the idea to sell rotten produce under the guise of sustainability...

https://www.misfitsmarket.com/

This getting better every day!

51 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

Whatever.. they will be passed along.. 

Good old American “f@!& it let’s just give up” attitude. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

You don’t need permission. 

I was just thinking back on some of our most epic surprise over performer events.  I’ll never forget that one March event.  No idea of the exact date/year but it was one of those where most of us saw some mixed precip that was supposed to be all rain or change to rain fairly quickly.  Reverse bust sort of.  Your area hung on to snow for most of it.  8 inches I think. You may have even posted pics.  Heavy wet snow.  

19 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

There will always be a contingent of loser parents.  All the more reason even "those " kids need to get back yesterday.  They will be running the streets  and many juniors and seniors have and will just quit school to work at Walmart or as a bus boy etc. 

It's not just the academic cost but a 100 other reasons they need to be in person.  The same low income and poor people who have been negatively effected the most economically by the endless shutdowns and restrictions will have their children crushed by the continued shuttering of public schools.  Even my daughter with a brand new computer and great work ethic is struggling academically and emotionally . The science has been  clear for months . There's no argument otherwise .Schools don't spread the virus . Get em back 

Oh I’m a hundred percent with you. I want normal school in masks. Do what we can and move on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

This has been my experience. I do think the issue is too many don’t have the maturity and responsibility to do what is necessary without a teacher there physically to lean into them so to speak. That’s as much a societal failure as their individual one. 

I think that the high school students intuitively see through the bullshit... that if society is going to use a twitter fad to virtue signal its way in to some sick "tyranny of the masses" alternate reality at their expense.. to rob them of the american teenage experience.. then why should they give an F?  

23 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

I think that the high school students intuitively see through the bullshit... that if society is going to use a twitter fad to virtue signal its way in to some sick "tyranny of the masses" alternate reality at their expense.. to rob them of the american teenage experience.. then why should they give an F?  

Oppositional defiance isn’t always a good thing. Setting aside whether it actually is BS, even if it were so what?  Lots of necessary things in life invariably will be something some individuals think is BS. Rules. Regulations. Standards. Hoops we have to jump through. Having the attitude you express here will set anyone up for a difficult frustrating life if they think they can just blow off any obligation they don’t personally think is important. It’s not good for their growth as individuals and its not good for the future of our society. 

17 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Hoco voted virtual through quarter three. Argue on.

With the way things are going they weren't going to meet the <5% positivity or <10 per 100k thresholds anyways. 

I bought an RV and decided to make the best of the situation. My kids can do school on the road and we can find some outdoor areas to explore. My employer isn't bringing anyone back into the office until at least July 2021.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, mdhokie said:

With the way things are going they weren't going to meet the <5% positivity or <10 per 100k thresholds anyways. 

I bought an RV and decided to make the best of the situation. My kids can do school on the road and we can find some outdoor areas to explore. My employer isn't bringing anyone back into the office until at least July 2021.

That’s a great attitude. Well done.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

Well I dont get it... this place has been dominated by reopen schools chatter for the last several months and I point out that the Howard County is double-dipping and it gets censored...

defunding howard county schools isn't the answer. and those who are discussing schools aren't throwing in asanine statements when they do so. most of your posts go from standard ranting to off the wall theories that have no place here. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I don’t think that those of us who think the reaction to this virus has been, for lack of a better word, dubious, are necessarily crazy. We just have a different opinion. Not subscribing to “group think” is not wrong, but is necessary to maintain a free society.

I thought the poster made a couple of good points. We are entering the cold season, the season in which viruses tend to run wild. This surge shouldn’t have been unexpected. The other point is that we aren’t in control. We think we are, but we aren’t. We live in a natural world and that world brings hazards. Live with them, die with them. It’s the way it is.

If you read the statistics published by the CDC, all of us in all age groups are far more at risk of death from other things. For school age children they are literally about 99% more at risk from something, anything else than they are from this. So wonder why out of all the risks out there, this is the one being focused on? I wonder. 

Whatever, I’m done with it. Just wanted to throw it out there.

6 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I don’t think that those of us who think the reaction to this virus has been, for lack of a better word, dubious, are necessarily crazy. We just have a different opinion. Not subscribing to “group think” is not wrong, but is necessary to maintain a free society.

I thought the poster made a couple of good points. We are entering the cold season, the season in which viruses tend to run wild. This surge shouldn’t have been unexpected. The other point is that we aren’t in control. We think we are, but we aren’t. We live in a natural world and that world brings hazards. Live with them, die with them. It’s the way it is.

If you read the statistics published by the CDC, all of us in all age groups are far more at risk of death from other things. For school age children they are literally about 99% more at risk from something, anything else than they are from this. So wonder why out of all the risks out there, this is the one being focused on? I wonder. 

Whatever, I’m done with it. Just wanted to throw it out there.

I don't believe I have called anyone crazy, and if so, then my apologies. We are all entitled to our beliefs, even if we don't agree with them. However, some here seem to have a hard time walking the line between ranting about something they don't agree with and getting into the political weeds over it. It's why our COVID thread was closed down. There are at least two other subforums where COVID is actively discussed that others can go to if they really gotta scratch that itch. Or, there is the political forum that people can go to as well. Trixie posted it last week, but as far as I can tell, no one new has showed up to add to the discussion. 

I do not appreciate people suggesting we let the virus run rampant as a way to deal with it. Nor is saying "defund schools" the answer to the issues at hand. I get it, I have a kid learning from home too, who I think would be far better off learning within a school building. But I accept it for what it is because I trust those in charge are making the right decisions with the metrics they have and the people they rely on to give them sound scientific advice. I have been supportive to others who kid's have gone back to buildings, even if I personally believe its too soon. 

The other issue, and this has been an incredible eye opening experience for me, is that everyone has a different level of risk that they are okay with. And everyone needs to do better to respect others in that regard. What works for one family, may not work for another, but that doesn't mean either opinions are less valuable. There really is something to the whole "we are in this together" motto, because we are. Everyone is struggling in some fashion and the sooner we all figure out how to work together to get through this, the better off we will be.

• Like 5

Have booted the usual multi-family gathering for Thanksgiving, but will still host parent/in-law parent at the house - keeping the gathering to 7. BUT, we really want to have it on our patio outdoors - fingers crossed for the mid-50s midday highs for a week from Thursday with low chances of rain hold. That would be swell.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic