Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November 2020 General Discussion

SchaumburgStormer

13 minutes ago, MIstorm97 said:

Flake size has been improving over the last hour. It’s a shame this event is happening with marginal thermos. The extra 500’ of elevation in the NW suburbs appears to be helping things stick more than downwind of the glacial ridge. pOca9gz.jpg

Can confirm, I've got a little over an inch here in White Lake at 1050 ft. Starting to stick a little on the pavement as well.

2 hours ago, thomp2mp said:

Can confirm, I've got a little over an inch here in White Lake at 1050 ft. Starting to stick a little on the pavement as well.

Just now got to 1.0” in Berkley. Been sitting just south of the best FGEN banding all day except for like a 30 min burst. Also have been right on the edge of the marine air influence. Warmer by the lake comes back to bite. At least it’s November 

After starting as a few hours of light rain, it has been snowing nonstop since around 6:00 a.m. qpf definitely verified however it's extremely water logged snow. Cold spots & elevation mean everything in this borderline event. Snow has been slowly melting for hours even though it has never stopped snowing lol. a general 1-4" around SE MI depending on location. Should finish just under 2" here but not that much otg now. Went to the park earlier and drove around, the pic of conifers was the highest area i found while driving.

FB_IMG_1606074112786.jpg

FB_IMG_1606074097182.jpg

FB_IMG_1606074163695.jpg

FB_IMG_1606074535602.jpg

• Like 7

Got out of my house today after a week since I had my wisdom teeth out. Took a couple shots of the snow just north of my house.

YYZ is reporting 5.2" as of 4pm. I just measured 6.5" and it's been coming down steadily. Going to make a run for 8" if not more at this rate. What a freaking surprise storm. Let it snow. 

Kleinburg1.thumb.jpg.8d526a328a296b52ec8792871aabc85e.jpg

Kleinburg2.thumb.jpg.0b1455f515e3e411a76a1e89662c4bc2.jpg

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

Got out of my house today after a week since I had my wisdom teeth out. Took a couple shots of the snow just north of my house.

YYZ is reporting 5.2" as of 4pm. I just measured 6.5" and it's been coming down steadily. Going to make a run for 8" if not more at this rate. What a freaking surprise storm. Let it snow. 

Very interesting system and typical November snowstorm. Elevation and distance from Lake making a big difference. Finished with 7cm out here on Hamilton Mountain and its now turned to light rain. Right along Lake Erie had a slushy 1-3cm and the weather network said some right along the Lake Ontario shore in Burlington-Mississauga are reporting the same (1-3cm) 

1 hour ago, Snowstorms said:

lol you're prediction happily failed and we still have almost 5 months of snowstorm potential to go:lol:.

Joking aside, I had a feeling Toronto would get it good. thermals were meh here but zero complaints about a snowy November Sunday. Model qpf was on point but ratios were terrible. I've not yet emptied my gauge but DTW had 0.58" precip, 1.9" snow. About 0.40-0.45" of that fell as snow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mississaugasnow said:

Very interesting system and typical November snowstorm. Elevation and distance from Lake making a big difference. Finished with 7cm out here on Hamilton Mountain and its now turned to light rain. Right along Lake Erie had a slushy 1-3cm and the weather network said some right along the Lake Ontario shore in Burlington-Mississauga are reporting the same (1-3cm) 

Yup. Quite the gradient across the area. A lot of areas near the Lake, like yourself, had minimal accumulations but as soon as you went 20km inland, amounts picked up drastically. 19.2cm (7.5") as of 6pm in my area. It'll likely be the third largest November storm ever recorded in a single day at YYZ. Top 2 records are >30cm (12"). 

45 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

lol you're prediction happily failed and we still have almost 5 months of snowstorm potential to go:lol:.

Joking aside, I had a feeling Toronto would get it good. thermals were meh here but zero complaints about a snowy November Sunday. Model qpf was on point but ratios were terrible. I've not yet emptied my gauge but DTW had 0.58" precip, 1.9" snow. About 0.40-0.45" of that fell as snow.

Haha. Three back to back snowy Novembers is a big win in my books especially after going 2009-2012, 2015 and 2016 completely snowless. 

I was doubtful yesterday as we were riding a thin line with the mixing line so close by but thanks to strong dynamic cooling, we lucked out. ~2" is still not bad given the historic warmth we experienced less than 2 weeks ago. I'm sure it's better than that 2009-2012 run for Detroit as well. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kitchener poster said:

Big time over performer in KW. Picked up 8 inches (20cm). Snowed from 10 am - 6:30 pm. Beautiful snow. Off an on showers now. 

Initial predictions this morning called for 5 - 10 cm. Up it to 10-15 cm by noon and then half way through they issued a warning for up to 20 cm. Will likely finish with 21-22 cm. 

After all the crap Kitchener went thru in the summer its finally winning eh. :lmao: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snowstorms said:

Yup. Quite the gradient across the area. A lot of areas near the Lake, like yourself, had minimal accumulations but as soon as you went 20km inland, amounts picked up drastically. 19.2cm (7.5") as of 6pm in my area. It'll likely be the third largest November storm ever recorded in a single day at YYZ. Top 2 records are >30cm (12"). 

Haha. Three back to back snowy Novembers is a big win in my books especially after going 2009-2012, 2015 and 2016 completely snowless. 

I was doubtful yesterday as we were riding a thin line with the mixing line so close by but thanks to strong dynamic cooling, we lucked out. ~2" is still not bad given the historic warmth we experienced less than 2 weeks ago. I'm sure it's better than that 2009-2012 run for Detroit as well. 

Oh for sure. it was a very blah stretch of Novembers 

2009- 0 (only 2nd Nov without a flake)

2010- T (slow start to an almost 70" season)

2011- 0.6" (this fell last day of November)

2012- 0.4"

2013- 1.2" (only 94" more to go lol)

• Like 1

After spending 2/3 of this month with any observed sunshine everyday and only a few days with rainfall, it has come to an end yesterday with this crappy weekend. Based on the forecasts, we may very well have to wait until after the beginning of next month for the next day with any sun. Going to be one of those weeks. Not writing off this week yet, but the final third of this month fixing to become a trainwreck. Even this Thanksgiving looks to be a repeat of last year with suicide weather. 
image.png.ee115c4a6be19322cdf7e39c23e9f9f3.png

58 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

After all the crap Kitchener went thru in the summer its finally winning eh. :lmao: 

It was a brutal summer. Precipitation has been steady the last month and a half. 

I feel like we just cashed in on one of the top 2-3 snowstorms of the ‘winter’ and couldn’t be happier. This was a perfect snow. Happened on a Sunday. Snowed during the day. Exceeded expectations. Just perfect. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Definitely on the list of storms I'd like to live through.  Obviously not nearly as big of a deal this far west, but the overall impacts and meteorology were pretty spectacular.

it was the biggest snowstorm of the winter 1950-51 at Detroit with 6.3", but if I lived thru it in SE MI I'd be insanely jealous of further east lol.

The biggest November snowstorm on record for Detroit is 9.2" set wayyy back Nov 11/12, 2019 lol.

18 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Definitely on the list of storms I'd like to live through.  Obviously not nearly as big of a deal this far west, but the overall impacts and meteorology were pretty spectacular.

My dad told stories of moving into his new house during that weekend.  That was one everyone remembered in the area for sure.  Sounds like it was quite the event in SE Ohio.

7 minutes ago, WestMichigan said:

My dad told stories of moving into his new house during that weekend.  That was one everyone remembered in the area for sure.  Sounds like it was quite the event in SE Ohio.

Big impact on the warm side as well.  Areas on the east coast had gusts of 90-100+ mph.