Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2020 General Discussion

SchaumburgStormer

1 hour ago, Snowstorms said:

Euro and GEFS both have a massive ridge setting up over the Plains next week.

Let's not forget the pig vortex over AK and flat NPAC ridge. Looks like 2011. :thumbsdown:

its early November. show me this look a month from now and I'll be discouraged. Last year at this time we were days away from a record snowstorm and record smashing cold. That did not forebode winter. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There will end up being 6 days of 70+ at Detroit which is a November record, breaking the 2015 record of 4. Several sites in Southeast Michigan had 6 or 7 days of 70+ in November 1975 but DTW officially only had 3 (several 69s). Today's high of 77, by far the warmest of the stretch, is the warmest this late in the season, beating 75 on Nov 9, 1999. An impressive stretch of Indian summer but with sunny skies, rapidly cooling nighttime temps, and the time of year it is, its a stretch that won't stick in the memory bank like other warm or cold spells do.

• Weenie 1

25 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

its early November. show me this look a month from now and I'll be discouraged. Last year at this time we were days away from a record snowstorm and record smashing cold. That did not forebode winter. 

Agreed. This warm weather should encourage those in MN/WI/MI at least given the impressive La Niña conditions in place. 

57 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

Agreed. This warm weather should encourage those in MN/WI/MI at least given the impressive La Niña conditions in place. 

Yep. All this sunny, calm weather in November the Winter will NOT remember lol. I mean there's no guarantees in anything, but when you look at certain factors such as a typical active storm track in the Great Lakes during nina's, the somewhat increasing precipitation/snowfall that's been observed in this region in the past few decades, & the unfrozen waters ripe for Lake effect snow, I just cannot see how there's not plenty of fun times for the Great Lakes this Winter. That said, Im really not feeling a beavis/Josh type of Winter with nonstop cold and snow cover.

FWA set another record with 77° today.  This also ties the record for the most 70° or higher days in a row, which happened on four previous occasions (1938,1964,1998, and 2015). They will break the record tomorrow with a predicted high of 75°.

I want to thank IWX for providing this stat. I also inquired about the most 70° November days and didn't get an answer to that. I don't know of a data source to easily come up with that.

12 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

FWA set another record with 77° today.  This also ties the record for the most 70° or higher days in a row, which happened on four previous occasions (1938,1964,1998, and 2015). They will break the record tomorrow with a predicted high of 75°.

I want to thank IWX for providing this stat. I also inquired about the most 70° November days and didn't get an answer to that. I don't know of a data source to easily come up with that.

For Fort Wayne, the highest number of 70+ degree days in November is 8 (1964)

• Like 2

Low of 63° at ORD.

Likely going to break daily record high min temp of 59 (1999)...and also puts in play all time monthly record high min of 63° (6th/1924 & 7th/1975).

And it held.

So broke daily and tied all time Nov monthly record high min temp.

ORD also hit 76 once again today, which broke the record high of 74 (1999) for the date.

This is the kind of messaging I love waking up to. Should be a fun afternoon.

“Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Twin Cities/Chanhassen MN
452 AM CST Tue Nov 10 2020

...ICE STORM WARNING FOR PORTIONS OF FAR SOUTH CENTRAL
MINNESOTA TODAY...
...A BAND OF HEAVY SNOW WITH SOME FREEZING RAIN IS EXPECTED
THROUGH TONIGHT FOR SOUTH CENTRAL MINNESOTA INTO WEST CENTRAL
WISCONSIN...
...SOME SHIFTING OF THIS BAND EAST OR WEST IS STILL POSSIBLE...

.A complex system is taking aim at the region, bringing a myriad
of weather impacts through the late evening hours. Freezing rain
is expected across extreme southern Minnesota where up to one
quarter inch of ice may accumulate along with a slushy inch of
snow. Further north, a narrow swath of heavy snow looks to set
roughly along a line from Mankato to the Twin Cities to Luck WI.
A Winter Storm Warning has been issued for this area where 4 to 7
inches of snow is expected. Timing of the heaviest snow will from
the early afternoon through the evening commute. Isolated higher
snow totals are possible, but it will be highly dependent on the
track of the storm. Lesser amounts in the 2 to 5 inch range are
expected on either side of this band, where a Winter Weather
Advisory is in effect.

Use caution if traveling and monitor further updates to the
forecast, as even small shifts in the track could greatly alter
the expected impacts.”

• Weenie 1

17 minutes ago, It's Always Sunny said:

Pesky warm nose probably going to chip into what was once looking like decent snowfall for MSP:

hrrr sounding

Yikes hopefully things cool off a bit more. Was worried we’d be on the eastern edge. Getting some sleet and snow mix right now. Actually becoming mostly snow as I type this. 

45 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Yikes hopefully things cool off a bit more. Was worried we’d be on the eastern edge. Getting some sleet and snow mix right now. Actually becoming mostly snow as I type this. 

Yeah it may teeter-tot a bit before it flips to all snow (hopefully) around 1-2pm CT. National Weather Service has it flipping to all FZRA at 2pm through 6pm but I'm just not seeing it.

12 minutes ago, It's Always Sunny said:

Yeah it may teeter-tot a bit before it flips to all snow (hopefully) around 1-2pm CT. National Weather Service has it flipping to all FZRA at 2pm through 6pm but I'm just not seeing it.

I’m working in the east metro (Woodbury) right now where it is primarily sleet currently. My home is 1.5 miles due north of the MSP airport so I’ll see what it’s doing there when I’m home in a few hours 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Torchageddon said:

So far today I've mostly been stuck under clouds :thumbsdown: but having a humidex of 25C is just stupid amazing for Nov 10. Mississauga, Milton, and Brampton ON is at 24C with a humidex of 27!

What a beautiful day or should I say what a beautiful stretch. 24.2C (75.5F) at YYZ as of 2pm. This is unheard of at our latitude especially in November. This warm spell is equivalent to Morch. Truly exceptional. The warmer records are outweighing the colder ones of late.

2011-12, 2015-16, 2016-17 and 2019-2020 are among our warmest winters ever. All happened in one decade lol. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

New record high at MLI today of 74, and now the 8th 70 degree day in a row.  That record will be hard to top.

They also gusted to 64mph earlier as well.  

I am sure we will set some sort of longevity warmth streak before too long.  Seems like it's becoming more common.