• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 30 Observation Thread

moneypitmike

It’s crazy for those SE areas that got 4-5” on a 40-inch annual average just picked up a 10-12% head start on normal snowfall... in October.  If this was like one of the probability models showing the chances of reaching normal snowfall, it just lurched heavily towards that.  Like a win probability on MLB when someone scores 8 runs in the first inning.  No guarantee, but the win probability for winter 2020-21 just went up quite a bit.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

It’s crazy for those SE areas that got 4-5” on a 40-inch annual average just picked up a 10-12% head start on normal snowfall... in October.

Speaking as someone from a place where a single storm is often it in a winter, I'm sure many folks in SNE will read your post and see it as an ominous thing. I would be paranoid about this being the peak of the season if this happened in MD. :) 

2 minutes ago, Arnold214 said:

and I thought having the same thing Thanksgiving 1989 was strange...

I said to myself on Halloween 2011 when there was still about a foot of snow OTG....”there’s a good chance I’ll never see another white Halloween unless I move into the mountains or Alaska”. :lol:

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It’s crazy for those SE areas that got 4-5” on a 40-inch annual average just picked up a 10-12% head start on normal snowfall... in October.

Even ORH with their 6.2” got 9% of their seasonal snowfall. Doesn’t beat the 26% they got in 2011 (from two events). Let hope the ensuing winter is better. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Might be the only white holiday we have. :( 

Happened in 2011. :lol:

Though up in Princeton we had a semi-white Thanksgiving from the day before when a front-ended gave a couple inches. 

Xmas, New Years and Vday were all totally bare. 

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I said to myself on Halloween 2011 when there was still about a foot of snow OTG....”there’s a good chance I’ll never see another white Halloween unless I move into the mountains or Alaska”. :lol:

In the 10 years I've been up here, the last week of October always seems to deliver something off the charts. Whether it be highly anomalous snow events or widespread damaging winds it seems like there's something nasty every other year within 2 days of Halloween.  

In 2011 I also had a foot of snow on Thanksgiving. Then everything shut off.

2 minutes ago, Arnold214 said:

In the 10 years I've been up here, the last week of October always seems to deliver something off the charts. Whether it be highly anomalous snow events or widespread damaging winds it seems like there's something nasty every other year within 2 days of Halloween. 

I might have to start subscribing to Ginxy’s Astrology Weather forecasting service...he’s always talking about etreme events at the end of October.

Maybe there’s something to it....full moon goon?

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I might have to start subscribing to Ginxy’s Astrology Weather forecasting service...he’s always talking about etreme events at the end of October.

Maybe there’s something to it....full moon goon?

Maybe October 29th/30th is like November 5th in Back to the Future. When doc brown says: "It could mean that point in time inherently
contains some sort of cosmic significance, almost as if it were the temporal junction point of the entire space-time continuum. On the other hand, it could just be an amazing coincidence."

• Haha 3