Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October 30 Observation Thread

moneypitmike

16 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I think we got like 1-2” of slop at the end of the 2011 event, this blows that out of the water as bob said.

Just a hair under 5” here, which I would say is historic, and probably a once in a lifetime return rate.

Hell, this would be up there if it happened in November too.

Not to use to much hyperbole, but this is definitely a memorable event for me.

How does 3” in Taunton on Oct 10 compare to 5” on the 30th? Just curious how you’d rank the 2.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

You know where that site is/was?  Current TAN is definitely not reflective of the City as a whole.  I’ve seen wide variations in storms over a few miles in the time I’ve been here compared to the other side of town, over by BOX.

7 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

You know where that site is/was?  Current TAN is definitely not reflective of the City as a whole.  I’ve seen wide variations in storms over a few miles in the time I’ve been here compared to the other side of town, over by BOX.

http://research.jisao.washington.edu/greg/northeast/states/MA/198367.html

The long term site from 1893-2007

17 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Snow right up the megalopolis from DC to New England. 6.8” Blue Hill. 7.5” ORH. I mean that was an insane storm for Oct 10. 

The 10/10/79 storm was def more anomalous than this one....at least for most of SNE. You can argue right on the immediate coast near BOS that this one was clearly more anomalous due but anywhere off the water that isn’t the case. 

This is pretty high on the list though even for a place like ORH. Prob only ‘79 and ‘11 were more impressive. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

The 10/10/79 storm was def more anomalous than this one....at least for most of SNE. You can argue right on the immediate coast near BOS that this one was clearly more anomalous due but anywhere off the water that isn’t the case. 

This is pretty high on the list though even for a place like ORH. Prob only ‘79 and ‘11 were more impressive. 

Yeah...it just surprises me it hasn’t snowed down in E/SE MA in October historically. It seemed like every few years I was watching the Pats play a snow game at home in the snow in October. ;)

You would think some kind of anafrontal or late cold air advecting system (like this) would have sneaked in more often over the last 100 years. 

8 minutes ago, Arnold214 said:

Congrats SNE peeps for snagging this one. Great pics too. Bob, I went and plotted that 3 inch amount in 79 in Xmacis2 and it came up with the below location. I can't confirm if it's accurate or not, but it's probably real close.

tan.png

Thanks Mike.  That makes the 3” number more meaningful.  That’s closer to TAN then BOX.  It’s right next to the High School.  Drive by there often.  Hope all is well with you. Miss seeing you on here from times past. Hope things are well with you and your keeping Legro in line there.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

This was impressive given model guidance in approaching days, TBH.  It adds to the mystique of the near term event, it was a positive bust for many spots (?).  The first system added that additional southward tug of cold air behind it (especially in the lower 925mb level). right as the second low got going much further south.  Once that cold air started moving SEward, it had some serious momentum. Put a nice sweet spot through SNE.

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This was impressive given model guidance in approaching days, TBH.  It adds to the mystique of the near term event, it was a positive bust for many spots (?).  The first system added that additional southward tug of cold air behind it (especially in the lower 925mb level). right as the second low got going much further south.  Once that cold air started moving SEward, it had some serious momentum. Put a nice sweet spot through SNE.

Busted the 2 low spacing myth